Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion London protests begin

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 23, 2021, 04:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

They've occupied the roundabout at Long Acre and have put a giant pink table over it:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/23/extinction-rebellion-blocks-busy-junction-in-london

You can see the timeline of London events here: https://extinctionrebellion.uk/next-uk-rebellion/

Not all the planned events are on the timeline.

bgmnts

How long before they send the filth in or regular folk tell them to fuck off?

Goldentony

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 04:18:29 PM
They've occupied the roundabout

need to distill and abstract this bit of the information for myself

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 04:18:29 PM
They've occupied the roundabout at Long Acre and have put a giant pink table over it:

If that doesn't stop climate change I don't know what will.

jobotic

Ha! Stupid people who give a shit about the destruction of the planet. Get a job!

Butchers Blind

Quote from: jobotic on August 24, 2021, 12:32:16 PM
Ha! Stupid people who give a shit about the destruction of the planet. Get a job!

The planet will be fine, but hopefully the humans will die off. I can say that speaking as one.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 24, 2021, 12:49:10 PM
The planet will be fine, but hopefully the humans will die off. I can say that speaking as one.

Can't disagree with that.

Extinction Rebellion are in dire need of some decent PR. They always come across terribly and their tactics are counterproductive. The spokespeople for the organisation need proper media training and the protestors need to be told to never talk to the media. One only has to read through comments on social media to see how unpopular XR are with most people.

jobotic

That's lovely. Luckily here in the West well be able to watch the early human extinction process from a distance.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 24, 2021, 01:11:08 PM
Can't disagree with that.

Extinction Rebellion are in dire need of some decent PR. They always come across terribly and their tactics are counterproductive. The spokespeople for the organisation need proper media training and the protestors need to be told to never talk to the media. One only has to read through comments on social media to see how unpopular XR are with most people.
Either media training or learning to smash things up. They're too nice to scare people in power, and too weird to convince the majority of people who think global warming is probably serious but don't really want to do anything about it.

greenman

As with Corbyn though they are in the position that there will be near total media hostility to anything they do or indeed simply a lack of coverage of anything that couldn't be spun badly.

GoblinAhFuckScary

come on now

Butchers Blind

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 24, 2021, 02:44:37 PM
come on now

Humans are shit though, aren't they. Imagine calling something a smartphone.

chveik

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 24, 2021, 02:42:48 PM
Either media training or learning to smash things up. They're too nice to scare people in power, and too weird to convince the majority of people who think global warming is probably serious but don't really want to do anything about it.

yeah it's probably too late to try and convince people. smash up the property of the bigger polluters/climate deniers is a good idea but the reasonable public will just let them rot in jail

sneering at xr is fucking boring though

Fambo Number Mive

I agree with the aims of XR, and I'm doing my best to reduce my carbon footprint. However, I think there is only so much we can do on an individual level to reduce our carbon footprint, and people need to put more pressure on governments and businesses to do their bit.

I think part of the problem is that some people have switched from using cars for long drives and the bus/train for commuting to using the car all the time during the pandemic and some don't feel safe enough to return to public transport. When I am on the bus on the Cowley Road stuck in a long line of car traffic I do wonder if some of those people could have walked, cycled (although dangerous on Oxford's roads) or taken a bus.

Normally I'd wonder if enough people voted for/joined the Greens would it push Labour towards a more environmental focus but it does seem that Starmer's aim is to keep Labour out of power.

Pinball

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine that local activists in China will be, travelling from the Uk to China to protest would probably do more damage to the environment than have an effect, even if there wasn't a pandemic.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 24, 2021, 01:11:08 PM
The spokespeople for the organisation...

I don't even think there should be an organisation.  It's ok as a movement (although some of their methods suck and plenty of them are wankers) but you don't need an organisation because I assume they're self-appointed and not in it for the right reasons.

Fambo Number Mive

Looking on Twitter, Laurence Fox has tweeted a video of an Extinction Rebeliion protestor with the following

"Before nipping home to Mummy and Daddy's 6 bed in Hampstead for  a glass of Prosecco."

Such a stupid remark.

- the income of her parents doesn't make her wrong on climate change
- people like Fox usually love the rich unless they say something they don't like
- you don't know anything about her or her family

But it gives his supporters another excuse to say "never mind climate change, some of the protestors might not be poor".

It's telling how many voices on the right respond in this way rather than with a counter-argument. Perhaps they don't have one.

And no matter how bad things get, your Foxes and Grimeses and Redwoods will never admit they were wrong. If half of London floods they'll blame the "woke" or something.

Kankurette

Laurence Fox attacking other people for being posh. Wtf. He got kicked out of Harrow, for fuck's sake.

chveik

jobotic

Quote from: Pinball on August 24, 2021, 03:35:31 PM
Will they be protesting in Beijing?

Well done.

I heard some of them drink coffee.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Does the pink table represent like, the ozone layer or something? Or dolphins?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: chveik on August 24, 2021, 02:58:41 PM
sneering at xr is fucking boring though

It's not when they appear to be doing all they can to be as unpopular as possible.

The world's on fire and they think dressing up like Steve Strange in the Ashes To Ashes video is going to make any difference.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 25, 2021, 12:23:00 AM
It's not when they appear to be doing all they can to be as unpopular as possible.

The world's on fire and they think dressing up like Steve Strange in the Ashes To Ashes video is going to make any difference.

What are you doing?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 24, 2021, 02:50:07 PM
Humans are shit though, aren't they. Imagine calling something a smartphone.

Surely you don't want animals in charge though? They're rubbish.

chveik

Quote from: Dusty Substance on August 25, 2021, 12:23:00 AM

i hope you know where on the internet you usually find this kind of comment. it's not pretty

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on August 25, 2021, 01:15:12 AM
Surely you don't want animals in charge though? They're rubbish.

The chimps could give it a go and get the elephants to help with the heavy lifting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That Nelson Mandela with his silly shirts.