Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

French/German Muslims up in arms

Started by Garfield And Friends, February 03, 2004, 12:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=6488

Is the banning of 'overt religious dress/symbols' in French schools/offices just a thinly-veiled way of stopping Muslim women wearing headscarves? Or is the hijab just so very 2003?

hencole

The question here is more about whether you have personal self-expression or not. Its is all very well allowing religious symbols in schools, however that then discriminates against those who choose to wear a hat, scarf or other garb. Since I believe in free religious expression I also believe that forcing people to wear identical uniforms is wrong on the grounds that it dehumanises people and forces conformity down our throats. I'm suprised the French take this approach to chool uniform, and I am equally disgusted by this apparant racisism. I can't recall religious expression ever being much of an issue when it comes to christianity. It sounds like Pim Fortune's facist like liberalism is alive an well in some parts of Europe.

MojoJojo

This has been going on for ages, and has been turning into a farce. The Sikhs, for example, were outraged that no one had considered banning their turbans. Now it looks like they will get banned along with everyhting else.

Chirac, in a move which you have to wonder whether it was just him having a laugh, instead of trying to cool the debate down, questioned whether beards should banned too, as they are sometimes a religious symbol. This is for schools, remember.

Personally, I don't really understand why anyone wants the ban. It seems to be part of the bizarre mindset lots of liberals seem to pick up that recognising cultural/religious identity is racist by itself.

Smackhead Kangaroo

Hasn't the French school no muslim doodah been a problem for years though?
It seems slightly wrong to classify the no religious symbols rule as forcing people to wear the same uniform. it would be more correct to say they're not allowed any uniforms.
then again we actually DO have uniforms here.
Not to mention the newer generation of religious loons have a tendency to adopt their special clothing in terms of a statement of their affiliation like a football shirt and are very irritatingly and sometimes aggressively in-yer-face about it.

Religious morality and principals VS. Social liberalism and secularism.

Fight!