Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Prison labour in the UK

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 23, 2021, 05:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

With the news that the meat industry is going to employ prisoners on Release On Temporary Licence (ROTL) and people about to leave prison, I presume this is a good thing in terms of allowing prisoners to earn money and gain skills, but I have some questions:

Are these prisoners paid at least the minimum wage?

How useful is experience on ROTL for prisoners in getting work once they have left prison?

I know prisoners are exploited and forced to work for next to nothing in the US, is this also true in the UK? Or is ROTL a good scheme that benefits both the prisoner and the employer?

It sounds like the employers in the BBC News story are positive about ROTL:

QuoteMr Goodger said some members already employed inmates on ROTL, and had found them to be "well behaved, hard-working, and willing to learn".

"It's down to the members [who they employ]," he said. "They [prisons] have got offenders and prison-leavers, we have got members who need labour. It seems sensible to bring the two together."

There is of course the added complication that meat consumption needs to be drastically reduced to help combat climate change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58303679

mjwilson

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 05:11:10 PM
With the news that the meat industry is going to employ prisoners on Release On Temporary Licence (ROTL) and people about to leave prison, I presume this is a good thing in terms of allowing prisoners to earn money and gain skills, but I have some questions:

Are these prisoners paid at least the minimum wage?

I reckon I could guess the answer to this one

Cuellar

Quote from: Cuellar on August 01, 2021, 08:01:31 PM
Easy solution - start privatising prisons, get loads of people banged up then 'lease' the prisoners to the farmers for fruit picking etc.

Literally everybody wins.

I am proved right AGAIN

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Child labour next

'Important entrepreneurial opportunities and vital CV ballast to impress prospective employers'

11 year old Sandwich artist. Bin child. Ice cream infant.

bgmnts

I feel like it should be either or really if they're not paid.

Either sentence them to a few years labour in an open prison or lock them up.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 23, 2021, 09:22:47 PM
Child labour next

'Important entrepreneurial opportunities and vital CV ballast to impress prospective employers'

mini mini valet

Quote from: bgmnts on August 23, 2021, 09:24:47 PM
I feel like it should be either or really if they're not paid.

Either sentence them to a few years labour in an open prison or lock them up.

Nah, incentivise, every 500,000 sausages and you get 6 months off your sentence.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pylon repair rapist
Gum shield rendering Stalker
Fruit technician paedo

Rev+

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 23, 2021, 09:29:38 PM
Nah, incentivise, every 500,000 sausages and you get 6 months off your sentence.

They prefer not to use the term 'Sausage Squad', it's officially 'Task Force Greggs'.

This is nothing new, it's just been scaled-up.  They'll not be entitled to the minimum wage but that's mitigated because they'll be learning skills that will help them get jobs! Only they'll need to be paid minimum wage on release/end of licence, so once this is in full swing those jobs will be filled by the next wave of prisoners.  This is our system operating as it was designed to.

Paul Calf

If they were serious about rehabilitation, they'd be paid minimum wage for all the work they do while in prison and be given their wages on release. That'd go a long way to reducing recidivism.

evilcommiedictator

Easy way to give them mass COVID is to put them in meat processing, keep the prison population down a bit eh?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 23, 2021, 09:22:47 PM
Child labour next

Checked up on an old school about five or six years ago. You know at school you'd sometimes get to do gardening or help out at the canteen or tuck shop just as normal schooling, because its fucking school? The school now treats those things as privileges students have to compete for and makes students submit CVs and do interviews for those "jobs". Under 13s.

Whats next, line manager reports from mummy and daddy?

Video Game Fan 2000

The thought of a 10 year old sitting down to do a CV and cover letter to be the kid that pours the squash after PE

COMPETITIVE MARKET OUT THERE there's guys in prison for strangling cats who'd kill for that position

chveik

the only way to get people working for the meat industry is to find poor fuckers that have fuck all choice, because it's possibly the most dehumanizing job you can do.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 23, 2021, 05:11:10 PM
It sounds like the employers in the BBC News story are positive about ROTL:

i bet they are the greedy cunts