Author Topic: Blue plaques in your area  (Read 1598 times)

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
  • MAKE ROOM FOR THE MUSHROOMS
Blue plaques in your area
« on: August 23, 2021, 07:47:10 PM »
What are the blue plaques in your area for?

One near me is a house where Ronnie Barker used to live. You can see what all the blue plaques in Oxford are for here: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19532439.oxfordshire-county-council-spends-20k-make-bus-stops-accessible-public/

When I lived in Walthamstow, there was a blue plaque near Walthamstow Queen's Road Overground station commemorating one of the first motor cars, I think it was to do with William Morris.

If you are fortunate enough to live outside of England, do you have something similar to blue plaques?

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
Re: Blue plaques in your area
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
Having a short break in Shropshire so I was wandering around Ludlow today. They have blue plaques up everywhere but it’s mostly just ones from the local council explaining local town history. Dunno what the blue plaque society make of that, but more fool them if they haven’t trademarked it.

Did see Alastair McGowen in the flesh as well, but I don’t think that counts as he is neither a round blue plaque or able to do a passable impression of one.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »
Did see Alastair McGowen in the flesh as well, but I don’t think that counts as he is neither a round blue plaque or able to do a passable impression of one.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 08:17:19 PM »
Used to live down the road from this one

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 08:20:03 PM »
Trying to think where they would be in north Birmingham. Does Ozzy have one in Aston somewhere?

Neomod

• What's it Called . . . Cumbernauld!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 08:28:19 PM »
Used to live not far from Holloway road and this.

and this is from my home town.

Tony Tony Tony

• The Man, the Myth, the Bellend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 08:30:22 PM »
Here in Dunstable (town motto… At least it’s not Luton) we have a tribute to former schoolboy resident Gary Cooper.

He gets proper recognition by having the local Spoons named after him. Quite apt really as the young Cooper seems to lived over an offy.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 08:54:06 PM »
One to commemorate Fred Perry’s childhood home round the corner from my house.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 08:58:34 PM »
Blue plaques? In north Bristol? They’d get nicked.

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 09:21:05 PM »
Blue plaques? In north Bristol? They’d get nicked.

Or chucked in the harbour.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 09:43:17 PM »
Probably the closest to me is Jim Ede of Kettles Yard. Known for his pioneering placement of lemons.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 09:44:56 PM »
No recognition for Katrina and the waves, for shame.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

• Your sleep paralysis demon
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »

Inexplicably, there are no blue plaques for the birthplaces of John Inman, Mark Lawrenson, or that one from Liberty X with the big mouth.

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 10:35:49 PM »
No recognition for Katrina and the waves, for shame.

No recognition for Ian Brady, not 10 minutes walk from me.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 10:37:51 PM »
Is there a website that lists blue plaques? I guess there must be some vaguely near me, but wouldn’t know where to look.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 10:39:16 PM »
Just google where you live and blue plaques. Worked for me.

Ian Drunken Smurf

• Archbast*rd of Canterbury
  • Golden Member
  • Dominic Cummings chews bats
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 10:59:11 PM »
If you are fortunate enough to live outside of England, do you have something similar to blue plaques?

Here in Austria it seems like every house that Mozart ever stayed in has a plaque on it. And plaques a plenty for musicians, actors, authors, playwrights.

non capisco

• Automatic writing by phantom limb
    • https://twitter.com/IsThisRoss
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 11:00:37 PM »
There's one in East Dulwich on the road Bon Scott was found dead in a car but it doesn't look official. It says 'Bon Scott 1946-1980 Lead singer and lyricist for AC DC Never Forgotten. Nev'. The official ones don't usually have a bloke called Nev signing off at the end, I don't think. Unless they accidentally started writing 'Never Forgotten' again.

Also it says AC DC, not AC/DC. A pedant's nightmare, walking past that every day. Sort it out, Nev.

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 11:02:27 PM »
Is there a website that lists blue plaques? I guess there must be some vaguely near me, but wouldn’t know where to look.

‘Official’ blue plaques are placed by English Heritage only in the London area. See…

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/blue-plaques/about-blue-plaques/

Though loads of local councils and civic bodies now run their schemes essentially to  big up the locale.

The English Heritage rules used to be quite strict but I think they have been relaxed recently.

The ones put up by some local councils can be a bit, well local.

There are also very unofficial plaques put up, a big favourite of mine appeared on the traffic island where part of the opening sequence for Bottom was filmed.

As ESP says above just Google your town adding blue plaques and see what comes up.

mothman

• I don't know why
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2021, 11:04:06 PM »
Good tip, thanks ESP.

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/libraries-archives/list-of-blue-plaques-in-bristol

EDIT: It would seem that there is literally nothing, no mechanism or organisation, for the provision of blue plaques in my actual area, which technically is South Gloucestershire. As I say, they probably reasoned they’d only get nicked…

Captain Z

• Die Hard or Die Tryin'
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 11:07:08 PM »

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 11:17:27 PM »
‘Official’ blue plaques are placed by English Heritage only in the London area. See…

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/blue-plaques/about-blue-plaques/

Though loads of local councils and civic bodies now run their schemes essentially to  big up the locale.

The English Heritage rules used to be quite strict but I think they have been relaxed recently.

The ones put up by some local councils can be a bit, well local.

There are also very unofficial plaques put up, a big favourite of mine appeared on the traffic island where part of the opening sequence for Bottom was filmed.

As ESP says above just Google your town adding blue plaques and see what comes up.
is that still there? saw it shortly after he died but haven't been back since

the window they're in at the beginning is part of the po-mo wrap-round shopping centre in front of the tube station

you can see a train leave in the opening so it's pretty clear they're on the W facade site (so R of my screenshot). the bench basically was on the traffic island though i think

Tony Tony Tony

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 11:39:39 PM »
The plaque has long since gone, as did the bench which was indeed on the traffic island visible in the top right of your screenshot of the area.

After a bit of a campaign by fans a bench was reinstalled and has a small plaque (not blue though) dedicating the bench to Rick.

I walk past the bench regularly when getting lunch as I work nearby. Every year on his (I think) anniversary the bench is decorated with tributes.

Flouncer

• See ya on the other side, ya goddamn cracker ass!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 11:54:35 PM »
I saw this one whilst walking through Scarborough last month.

I started complaining to my girlfriend that he was a fascist - he was actually a member of the BUF. Fucking cunt. I once read a foreword he wrote for a book, a pictorial history of Scarborough, and he sounded like a right fucking tosser - he was reminiscing about his childhood, droning on about how good it was: "Ohhh, the doctors in their broughams!" WHAT THE FUCK'S A BROUGHAM YOU DAFT CUNT? Honestly makes me sick that he lived a long life of luxury without getting strung up from a lamppost.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:11:02 AM by Flouncer »

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 11:59:19 PM »
Bodacious name though.

Mr Banlon

• If you're gonna go nog, you gotta go Mingus
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 12:17:06 AM »
I live in one of the two London boroughs without a single blue plaque.

Sherringford Hovis

• 報復性熬夜
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 12:26:47 AM »

Over 2,500 members of fire and rescue services have died on duty protecting the public since 1918 (not to mention the hugely increased vocational risk of cancer, respiratory, musculoskeletal and other conditions greatly shortening the lives of countless others).

The Fire Brigades Union is just beginning to roll out some token recognition with red plaques, either close to the spot of their actual death, or near their home or station where they were based if the former options aren't practical:

https://redplaque.org.uk/discover/

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 12:59:22 AM »

Don't let your macaques gargle with Blue Plax.

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 08:59:42 AM »
Two near me - one denoting where Tom Thumb's house is (yeah that's right, a fictional gnome pie-thief cunt who's meant to live in a knob of mistake masonry on top of the solictors by the canal, nice one you titless no-mark) and one showing how high the flood waters in 1960 went up (ruined the mayor's cardigan and flossed the lichen off the gravestones outside St Margaret's chapel of passive-aggressive muttering).

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 10:15:25 AM »
Not a blue plaque but many years ago as a semi-joke I started a campaign on facebook to erect a bronze statue of John Bonham in Redditch town centre which got in the local rag, then some local dickheads nicked the idea and actually managed to do it

Tags: