Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Soup

Started by Jockice, August 26, 2021, 10:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

It's great, isn't it? I've been feeling under the weather for the last few days and hardly able to eat but have just made myself some (Heinz smooth vegetable pot soup) and it's going down a treat. With bread to dip it in. Unbuttered of course. People who put spreads on soup bread are perverts and should be shunned by society. As should those who don't dip the bread in. While I'm on the subject, bread should NEVER be used with cup-a-soup. It just shouldn't

They're not all great of course. Never liked oxtail even when I was a meat-eater, carrot and coriander is veggie but vile and as for mulligatawny...

But as long as I have plentiful supplies of tomato (the plain type with none of that added bollocks), mushroom, vegetable, potato and leek and lentil I'm fine. Quite miss chicken though.

So soup. It's great isn't it?

Sebastian Cobb

love mulligatawny me

bgmnts

Mushroom soup I struggle with because it always tastes tangy as fuck. Especially if left in the fridge for a couple of days.

The Mollusk

Making your own leek and potato at home is the fuckin dream I'm telling you. The most simple, hearty, wholesome self-hug of food based endeavours.

Get this cunt down ya: https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-potato-leek-soup/#recipe

Dex Sawash

Big bag of frozen mixed vegetables, several cans of chopped and pureed tomatoes and there's your week. Modify with a bit of Patak's midweek for a change.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 26, 2021, 11:42:41 AM
Making your own leek and potato at home is the fuckin dream I'm telling you. The most simple, hearty, wholesome self-hug of food based endeavours.

Get this cunt down ya: https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-potato-leek-soup/#recipe

Yeah I like a good leek and potato.

A nice and creamy pea and mint is good too:
https://www.vibrantplate.com/5-ingredient-green-vegan-pea-soup/

Fr.Bigley

You're all wrong, it's patently obvious that the best soup flavour is oxtail. It's a gravy tier soup, infact, some roast pubs add oxtail soup to their gravy for added meatiness. I call the floor to counter my claim.

DrGreggles

Soup definitely contributed to my Covid recovery.
It was the only thing I could face eating for a couple of weeks.
Magical stuff, although the poos were rather sloppy.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 26, 2021, 12:10:11 PM
You're all wrong, it's patently obvious that the best soup flavour is oxtail. It's a gravy tier soup, infact, some roast pubs add oxtail soup to their gravy for added meatiness. I call the floor to counter my claim.

Before I learned to cook better I used to make a pie-filling that was essentially just mince, onions, potatoes, <whatever veg was to hand> and oxtail.

It was alright.

Echo Valley 2-6809

OP is right about carrot and coriander. Always a heartsinker when that turns out to be the soup of the day. You tell them it tastes of sick but they still do it.

Yes, pea and mint every time. Might try that recipe Seb posted for starters (ha).

This tinned one's pretty tasty for half the price of your Heinzes.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2021, 10:49:01 AM
While I'm on the subject, bread should NEVER be used with cup-a-soup. It just shouldn't

Of course any decent cup-a-soup will come with croutons.

I doubt if I'm up to making my own soup, but my mum's home-made was nice, although after I'd left home I'd get a bit annoyed with her insisting I'd take oil tanker-sized containers of it home with me on every visit.

Pea and mint? Never heard of that before but it doesn't sound particularly offensive to my tastebuds. I may explore further.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I don't like those "Chunky" range of soups they do that have massive chunks of potato and carrot and stuff in them. Piss off, it's like eating stew.
I'm not sure if there's a soup type that I dislike. I was a bit unsure about French onion, as it's basically gravy, but ultimately it won me over.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2021, 12:31:08 PM
Pea and mint? Never heard of that before but it doesn't sound particularly offensive to my tastebuds. I may explore further.

It's very similar to pea and ham, which let's face it, tastes much more of pea than ham.

Also, this might seem like heresy to some, but in lieu of croutons, if you've got a tin of tomato soup and a bag of ready salted, try tipping the bag in the soup.

paruses

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on August 26, 2021, 12:21:37 PM

This tinned one's pretty tasty for half the price of your Heinzes.

It's about 50p isn't it? I always reluctantly have half a can then remember how good it is and finish the other half. Good choice. If I am feeling flush I toast /warm a tortilla and pretend I am South of the border (Mexico, not Bristol).

Butchers Blind

What about broth?

imitationleather

Heinz vegetable soup is what my Nan would always give me when I was ill. And as I was a very sickly child, I ate it a hell of a lot.

Now even today when I look at a can in a shop I feel poorly, but looked after.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 26, 2021, 12:37:45 PM
I don't like those "Chunky" range of soups they do that have massive chunks of potato and carrot and stuff in them. Piss off, it's like eating stew.
I'm not sure if there's a soup type that I dislike. I was a bit unsure about French onion, as it's basically gravy, but ultimately it won me over.

I like them but I take them to work so have to do them in a microwave. I cover the bowl up but somehow the bits of potato explode causing carnage, I don't know how they can be so volatile, I feel like I'm going to have to hand my lunch over to NATO. Agree with you on French onion, absolutely spot on.

gilbertharding

Soup's ok, but I could live without it. Probably had about six cans this year...

Oh, and you should have it with an actual sandwich, if not buttered bread.

bgmnts

How did they make soups before the advent of blenders then? Was it just really watery and more like stews?? Or did they have absolutely massive pestle and mortars?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They stomped on it in big soup vats like they did with wine.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on August 26, 2021, 01:43:17 PM
How did they make soups before the advent of blenders then? Was it just really watery and more like stews?? Or did they have absolutely massive pestle and mortars?

Drain, mash, recombine.

Don't forget industry came long before household convenience. Mr Heinz probably had horse/steam powered blenders at some point.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on August 26, 2021, 12:21:37 PM
OP is right about carrot and coriander. Always a heartsinker when that turns out to be the soup of the day. You tell them it tastes of sick but they still do it.

Coriander hatred is probably a genetic thing - you can't help it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature.2012.11398

I have to make Chilli Sin Carne for my wife without coriander seeds. She still grows about 100 times more than we use in a year out in the garden though *shrugs*

Sebastian Cobb

I like carrots and corriander but can't say I'm sold on it as a soup, something too sweet about it.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 26, 2021, 01:53:24 PM
Drain, mash, recombine.

Don't forget industry came long before household convenience. Mr Heinz probably had horse/steam powered blenders at some point.

Yeah that's true. We get this idea at that people in the olden days were all home cooking everything leaving their back doors unlocked cos it were better times but presumably everything was out of the tin.

And yeah carrot and coriander is lovely if you get the coriander right but coriander itself is very overpowering.

Sherringford Hovis

Friend-of-a-friend sold a credulous stoner a bunch of coriander seeds as "The real deal, man - pure AK47 Sooooper Sativa". Wish I could have seen hapless toker's face when they sprouted.

Jockice

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on August 26, 2021, 12:37:45 PM

Not a fan. I mean if there was absolutely no other choice I may have it but I haven't been in that situation yet.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

You might be trapped in a French bistro during a zombie apocalypse, and that's all they've got left to eat.

sevendaughters

just had corn chowder for lunch, please don't make a split thread for chowders

Fr.Bigley

A fish pie is just a thick chowder.

steve98

Quote from: Jockice on August 26, 2021, 12:31:08 PM
Of course any decent cup-a-soup will come with croutons.

I doubt if I'm up to making my own soup, but my mum's home-made was nice, although after I'd left home I'd get a bit annoyed with her insisting I'd take oil tanker-sized containers of it home with me on every visit.

Unless you're using rocket it's hardly rocket science: you just boil a big lump of animal and add whatever greenery you have. Done.