Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Soup

Started by Jockice, August 26, 2021, 10:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

Quote from: steve98 on August 26, 2021, 02:53:44 PM
Unless you're using rocket it's hardly rocket science: you just boil a big lump of animal and add whatever greenery you have. Done.

"Welcome to 'Cooking with Jeffrey Dahmer'".

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 26, 2021, 01:56:43 PM
I like carrots and corriander but can't say I'm sold on it as a soup, something too sweet about it.

Spice that shit up dogg. Roast the carrots in oil and mustard with some turmeric and chilli powder beforehand, maybe even add some parsnips. I respect that this is hardly carrot and coriander soup any more but fuck it I hate carrot and coriander so am happy to see it disappear like a dead language.

bgmnts

I like this creative destruction approach to cooking.

The Mollusk

There's no true creation without destruction my man. Rip it (soup) up and start again.

steve98

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 link=topic=89073.msg4664341#msg4664341 date=1629976897.

This tinned one's pretty tasty for half the price of your Heinzes.
img width=200]https://i.imgur.com/ekOfOD2.jpg[/img]

I like the 3 bean soup but prefer the 9 bean if available. It's just as cheap but 3x as filling.

bgmnts

I dont think 7 beans would ever fill me up to be honest. Would need to be at least double figures.

monkfromhavana

Onion soup is also really nice, never seen it available in the shop though.

steve98

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 26, 2021, 03:18:26 PM
Onion soup is also really nice, never seen it available in the shop though.

You can substitute daffodil bulbs for onions (That's what they did during the war, when onions were unobtainable.) Daffodil and Dill is delicious.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 26, 2021, 02:59:21 PM
Spice that shit up dogg. Roast the carrots in oil and mustard with some turmeric and chilli powder beforehand, maybe even add some parsnips. I respect that this is hardly carrot and coriander soup any more but fuck it I hate carrot and coriander so am happy to see it disappear like a dead language.

I'm not a big fan of parsnips either really. It's just sweet veg in general is one of the few things I'm not all that keen on. Sweet potato is one I struggle with as well but it seems to work well in stews as it loses its flavour a bit.

Cold Meat Platter

Daal is basically soup, innit? Nice spiced lentil soup with a bit of a garlic tarka at the end.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 26, 2021, 03:32:25 PM
Daal is basically soup, innit? Nice spiced lentil soup with a bit of a garlic tarka at the end.

Yes.

Although instead of garlic tarka I tend to do fried onions (until brown), 1tsp mustard seeds, 1tsp garam massala and crushed up curry leaves all swimming in ghee.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 26, 2021, 03:32:25 PM
When I was staying with a farm family in Nepal they called what we ate twice a day daal but it wasn't a soup type deal, it was literally just rice, spinach and potatoes in a garlic base. There was a bit of liquid in but not a full soup type thing.

Maybe daal means something different there but considering they eat with their hands I dont know how they would eat a soup, being thick cunt I am.

mothman

The dhal you get in restaurants as a side is often quite runny, whereas my homemade ones always are much thicker and could be consumed as a meal in their own right.

Made an amazing iteration of my lentil & ham soup last December, despite the Christmas ham this year not having a bone in. I'll never be able to recreate it or even remember what exactly it was about it, but that soup will haunt my dreams for as long as I live.

Sebastian Cobb

The most decadent is dal makhani made with urid dal  optionally kidney beans) and cream, it's proper rich!
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jun/26/dal-makhani-recipe-the-perfect-felicity-cloake

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on August 26, 2021, 01:55:59 PM
Coriander hatred is probably a genetic thing - you can't help it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature.2012.11398

I'm fine with it - if there's a sprig of coriander in the middle of the bowl it's usually the highlight - and I love carrots too. There's just something insipidly sickly about the soup recipe in most places. I'm sure there are ways for it to work well though.

pancreas

Rasam.

That is all.

The Dog

Bit insensitive this, its only a year since my friend drowned in a bowl of soup.

Midas

I like carrot and coriander.

Looking forward to Autumn's approach so I can get back to feasting upon vast bowls of Leek and Potato like a jackal. Fucking excellent. Had this spiced coconut and turmeric soup with lentils a few years ago too which was pretty dreamy.

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on August 26, 2021, 04:09:24 PM
When I was staying with a farm family in Nepal they called what we ate twice a day daal but it wasn't a soup type deal, it was literally just rice, spinach and potatoes in a garlic base. There was a bit of liquid in but not a full soup type thing.

Maybe daal means something different there but considering they eat with their hands I dont know how they would eat a soup, being thick cunt I am.

Interesting, my fiancée lived in Nepal for a bit and she ate daal basically every bastard day and brought the recipe home with her. The stuff she makes is deffo thicker than soup but still is soupy in consistency. Every time I've got it from a takeaway or at a restaurant it's been the same also.

Incidentally it's one of my all time favourite foods, we usually just have daal with basmati rice and that's the whole meal. It gets inhaled, it's so bloody tasty and comforting. Big lash of sriracha all over it, fuckin heaven.

The Dog

The coroner said it was misodventure but I'm pretty sure it was stewicide.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 26, 2021, 04:59:36 PM
Interesting, my fiancée lived in Nepal for a bit and she ate daal basically every bastard day and brought the recipe home with her. The stuff she makes is deffo thicker than soup but still is soupy in consistency. Every time I've got it from a takeaway or at a restaurant it's been the same also.

Incidentally it's one of my all time favourite foods, we usually just have daal with basmati rice and that's the whole meal. It gets inhaled, it's so bloody tasty and comforting. Big lash of sriracha all over it, fuckin heaven.

To be fair, it turned out they had purposefully been putting less spice in it because I'm a westerner with a shite palate, which is very sweet of them.

Maybe it's a regional thing or just what they like.

What i had was def spectacular though. It taught that freshness of ingredients supercedes everything. The potatoes and rice were straight from the farm a few yards away, and it was angelic. If you told me I'd be eating rice and potatoes first thing in the morning and I'd love it I'd laugh at you but good god it's lush.

The boiled milk curd rice though? Fucking hell, squits before you even swallow it.

If she still has that recipe and you'd be kind enough to share that'd be ace.

pancreas

Bouillabaisse.

That is all.

mothman

My wife refers to any dhal accompaniment as Tarka Dhal, drives me mad. The tarka is a garnish of fried spices. Plus she then complains if I include fennel seeds in that, which is one of my favourite inclusions. Divorced soon.

bakabaka

The easiest and best soup is gazpacho. So easy you don't even need to cook it; just stick all the best bits of the 'Mediterranean diet' that we're all supposed to keep to in order to live longer into a blender for ten seconds then eat/drink/be merry.

Then repeat fifteen minutes later when you get hungry again.

Icehaven

Jockice yesterday.

I got into making soup during lockdown, and like to make videos of the early stages of the soup-making process.

Yes, folks, I've ended up with a lot of stock footage.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pancreas on August 26, 2021, 05:14:50 PM
Bouillabaisse.

That is all.

That's 'Haile Selassie' to you, pal.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: pancreas on August 26, 2021, 05:14:50 PM
Bouillabaisse.

Or pretty much any fish soup. The ones you get in Italian restaurants tend to be great, more of a stew than a soup, full of nice bits of fish.  Big fan of chicken and sweetcorn and hot and sour from the Chinese takeaway as well.

Gurke and Hare

I like making pea and ham soup but it isn't always easy to find ham shanks.