Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:01:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tiger Who Came To Tea [split topic]

Started by gilbertharding, August 24, 2021, 04:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studpuppet

Quote from: bakabaka on August 26, 2021, 05:46:43 PM
Hopefully this is the 20th time this has been posted here this week: https://youtu.be/LpsJ1Yf8Jc4?t=562

I genuinely did think this had been split off from the Sean Lock thread before looked in here...

thenoise

I read it to my son, but in my copy I have crudely drawn a cock and bollocks between Sophie's legs on every page. I hope that this will help him to understand the complex issues involved nowadays.

thenoise

Quotebut suggested parents and nurseries should "look closely at their bookshelves" and consider the narratives they'd like their children to absorb.

Bookshelves not books innit... question is not whether any of your books feature working men in suits, housewives in aprons and great big fury tigers but whether they all do.

Thomas

It seems that a single wacky 'progressive' opinion, floated briefly by a lone Twitter user or some awkward minister, garners mass media attention, public uproar about political correctness and wokeness, condemnation of an entire culture/generation, and documentaries by old men.

Meanwhile, thousands of genuinely discriminatory proclamations by the powerful, as well as concrete harmful policies, receive barely a shrug (reminder: Boris Johnson's Tory party is still in charge).

Weird innit. If I went on Twitter and said 'Idris Elba should be Bond', the Mail would deem it newsworthy, evidence of an entire culture gone loony. If I went on Twitter and quoted Enoch Powell at length - nowt. You should see all the casual white supremacist comments under any old footage of London. But the moment someone comments disapprovingly on a video of a celeb in blackface, John Cleese commissions an investigation.

king_tubby

We had this last week when some nobody said 'curry' is racist and it got amplified by all the usual suspects.

Butchers Blind

idunnosomename

i did find it kind of amazing on the Today programme when they just did the paper review and calmly read out that The Telegraph says The Tiger Who Came To Tea has been cancelled for encouraging rape.

i shouldnt be surprised anymore though by all this bad faith bullshit between a bunch of rich luvvies that is the British media

Cold Meat Platter

These days, right, if you say a tiger came to tea, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

touchingcloth

They've actually banned shouting MERRY CHRISTMAS into the face of tiger cubs in the wild because of trans rights.

Thomas

I know somebody who's been genuinely radicalised by bad faith culture war propaganda. She reckons that you can't make jokes anymore without being 'crucified',[nb]and yet herself reacted with great offence when I was flippant about "Prince" Philip - you can't say anything these days![/nb] and that an amorphous woke mob is poised to destroy anyone with even the mildest conservative opinion. She can't wait for John Cleese's take on woke culture (I don't know how she imagines he's managed to get something commissioned with all the woke snipers around).

She also lives in central London, subscribes to the Telegraph and Spiked, and wears triple-digit-expensive clothes, but I don't know if there's any correlation.

Sebastian Cobb

Is Burglar Bill still ok? I used to love that and the audiobook read by Bernard Cribbins.

mothman

I always thought it was wonderful that they could just go out and walk down the road (it's always captivating as a small child when you do something out of the ordinary, especially after you'd normally be in bed) to a cafe, and have bangers & mash & ice cream. With tea. That sort of lower-price small-business dining just doesn't exist anymore, it's all the big chains now.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Thomas on August 26, 2021, 10:26:34 PM
I know somebody who's been genuinely radicalised by bad faith culture war propaganda. She reckons that you can't make jokes anymore without being 'crucified',[nb]and yet herself reacted with great offence when I was flippant about "Prince" Philip - you can't say anything these days![/nb] and that an amorphous woke mob is poised to destroy anyone with even the mildest conservative opinion. She can't wait for John Cleese's take on woke culture (I don't know how she imagines he's managed to get something commissioned with all the woke snipers around).

She also lives in central London, subscribes to the Telegraph and Spiked, and wears triple-digit-expensive clothes, but I don't know if there's any correlation.

You can't even radicalise a load of beetroot-faced bigots these days without the looney left jumping down your cock.

touchingcloth

These days the PC woke brigade try and get you sacked if you call a tiger a yellow and black striped Bengal bastard while it eats your legs.

Cold Meat Platter

Well, tigers are probably a 'protected class' like the transes or the Sikhs, honestly in my day we all just played in the street you couldn't make it up.

touchingcloth

So A. A. Milne can call a tiger Tigger yet the soyboy snowflakes decide I've crossed some sort of line when I call the yellow and black fellas round here basically the same thing?

jobotic

In my day we drank water from a hose

becuase a tiger had drunk all the water from the taps, all of daddy's beer and broken the tea pot.

Cold Meat Platter

Gollywogs were simply toys/jam mascots and nothing else and anyone who thinks otherwise is the real racist, actually.
FIND ME ONE RACIST THING THAT STEVIA WAXY-LEMON HAS ACTUALLY SAID GO ON I'LL WAIT.

Shit Good Nose

Been an absolute age since I read The Tiger Who Came To Tea.  Am I remembering rightly that the cunt basically eats them out of house and home and then just walks off without saying thanks, or am I thinking of the one with the hippo/rhino?

jobotic

He does. Then they buy some tiger food in case he ever comes back.

But he never did.

Shit Good Nose

Always knew tigers were cunts, but no one ever listens to me

May as well ban it anyway - what sort of lesson is that teaching our budding homemakers, I ask you?  "Oh no, it's fine - just let any old dangerous animal into your home on the off-chance that it's hungry, and give it a triple A pass to your cupboards, fridge freezer and, if you're posh (which you probably are in this book, let's face it), pantry."

Don't come crying to me!

touchingcloth

Is it the book where the tiger shits in daddy's bed and the sheets were too rough on his anus, then shits in mummy's bed and the sheets were too soft and fluffy, then shits in the baby's bed and the sheets were just absolutely perfect for wiping so he just shits and shits and shits from his bummy bum bum until the house falls down?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

at least the tiger who came to tea only eats human food

what about that poem, Pierre, about the little brat who swings on his chair and knocks down the breakfast stuff and won't go into town with his parents and then a lion eats him only to puke him back up at the doctor's

encouraging vore and bulimia

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 27, 2021, 12:02:27 AM
Is it the book where the tiger shits in daddy's bed and the sheets were too rough on his anus, then shits in mummy's bed and the sheets were too soft and fluffy, then shits in the baby's bed and the sheets were just absolutely perfect for wiping so he just shits and shits and shits from his bummy bum bum until the house falls down?

And then it spunks all over the curtains.  And cos it's a tiger there's fucking LITRES of the stuff.

I for one am glad there's a dedicated group trying to ban this sick filth.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 27, 2021, 12:05:22 AM
Quote from: touchingcloth on August 27, 2021, 12:02:27 AM
And then it spunks all over the curtains.  And cos it's a tiger there's fucking LITRES of the stuff.

I for one am glad there's a dedicated group trying to ban this sick filth.
You, sir, have desecrated a work of art.

idunnosomename

a lot of these kids picture books back then are absolutely rooted in middle class utopias. Jill Murphy, who passed last week, I loved her Large Family books as a kid, but bloody hell, they are so 80s middle class, with an elephant full-time mother with three kids trying to read the Sunday paper in her fancy bathroom.

but then, who were you going to sell books to then? yes, middle class parents with disposable incomes to entertain their kids at bedtime with reflective stories of their own household but with animals.

all art is a product of its time, but are you going to apply forensic scrutiny to the modern character of Father Christmas as being largely a creation of Clement Clarke Moore in A Visit from St Nicholas first published 1823? no. just go to bed you little cunt

touchingcloth

Is this the one where the king forces the tiger to spin gold into straw and a little paedwraith of a Boglin does it on his behalf seven nights in a row and then the king spunks a kid up the tiger and the grubby fucking fanny of a grotboglin is like "give me that kid unless you can guess my name" and the tiger just goes "it's Rumpledforeskin" and calmly DEVOURS the ridiculous shitfuck Boglin but then it chops its way out of the tigers arsehole with an axe?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Thomas on August 26, 2021, 10:16:25 PM
It seems that a single wacky 'progressive' opinion, floated briefly by a lone Twitter user or some awkward minister, garners mass media attention, public uproar about political correctness and wokeness, condemnation of an entire culture/generation, and documentaries by old men.

Meanwhile, thousands of genuinely discriminatory proclamations by the powerful, as well as concrete harmful policies, receive barely a shrug (reminder: Boris Johnson's Tory party is still in charge).

Weird innit. If I went on Twitter and said 'Idris Elba should be Bond', the Mail would deem it newsworthy, evidence of an entire culture gone loony. If I went on Twitter and quoted Enoch Powell at length - nowt. You should see all the casual white supremacist comments under any old footage of London. But the moment someone comments disapprovingly on a video of a celeb in blackface, John Cleese commissions an investigation.

"In the end, the Labour party could cease to represent labour. Stranger historic ironies have happened than that."

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 27, 2021, 12:10:37 AM
a lot of these kids picture books back then are absolutely rooted in middle class utopias. Jill Murphy, who passed last week, I loved her Large Family books as a kid, but bloody hell, they are so 80s middle class, with an elephant full-time mother with three kids trying to read the Sunday paper in her fancy bathroom.

but then, who were you going to sell books to then? yes, middle class parents with disposable incomes to entertain their kids at bedtime with reflective stories of their own household but with animals.

all art is a product of its time, but are you going to apply forensic scrutiny to the modern character of Father Christmas as being largely a creation of Clement Clarke Moore in A Visit from St Nicholas first published 1823? no. just go to bed you little cunt

What's wrong with middle class utopias? I live in one and it's fucking great. Beat that!

chveik

it's unsustainable and built on the suffering of  the working class.