Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Teabagging and being toxic

Started by Barry Admin, August 27, 2021, 12:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm fascinated by the way teabagging has become such a universally recognised gesture in games. It's extremely common to see it, even in Minecraft. Although it started as a gesture of disrespect toward your dead opponent, it's now also become the default way to say hello to people, or to thank them.

I've got a bit toxic in shooters of late - I think basically as I'm so uptight at times - so this kind of helps keep me in an "it's just a game" frame of mind. I've started shooting my oponents deathboxes in Apex, which has largely replaced teabagging celebrations.

A few days ago a guy just went and stood right on my mates deathbox; we both pissed ourselves laughing as we'd never seen it done before.

It's a good way to tilt your opponents if you're playing round based modes too! Shoot their deathbox while teabagging, then dump out your holospray or a suitable voice quip, and hopefully they'll tense up for the next round.

madhair60

s'why I don't play online games. Which is stupid, I know. It does tense me up. don't like it.

in real life I enjoy it mind.

Mobius

Wonderful Butternut

I used to very occasionally teabag, back when it was still a mean thing to do, when someone was in my opinion being an arse and deserved it. I play fuck all shooters these days, and consequently am not good enough to go dabbing on people when I do dip my feet in the FPS waters, so I behave.

I did deliberately run a guy off the road when online racing recently (super serious online racing where you're not supposed to do that and will get banned if you do it enough), which is considered toxic within the relevant circles. Coming into a double right hander, he divebombed past me under braking from a mile back, consequently couldn't make the first corner, went off into the grass on the outside and then swerved back onto the track. In doing so he hit me and pushed me slightly into the grass on the other side of the track as we came into the second right hander. As I hopped over the kerb, I straightened my wheel for just a second so I'd crab back onto the track and hit him. Which put him in the wall and ended his interest in that particular event. And I'd do it again, cos his attempt to pass me was utterly idiotic.

The race was stewarded too and none of them copped I hit him on purpose.

Cold Meat Platter

Really not into it all. Not keen on making people feel bad.

I used to play a WWII flight sim online and as the age range skewed older and it was a more niche thing the majority of folk were really friendly and would congratulate you on your shot when you downed them and give you a wee salute o7. Fucking sportsmanship. Respect. Not exploiting glitches or trolling.

I remember the first time I played a game online, oddly enough about 25 years ago because it was Quake and I remember what the guy said in the chat: "I OWN YOUR ASS NOOB" haha
Shooters have always been like this, John Romero is going to make you his bitch etc.

bgmnts

Not really why I play games tbh. Find that toxicity a bit offputting. Even in a competitive game I mostly just want to have fun or a fun challenge.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 27, 2021, 12:45:53 AM
Really not into it all. Not keen on making people feel bad.

Same, but look, I get sick of feeling guilty and anxious all the damn time man. I'm lying here now feeling like a cunt because I had to politely ask my neighbour to watch the noise after waking me up, on a night where I was particularly desperate to get some sleep... which is absurd.

So it's good to just be assertive and not worry about it in the context of a game. If someone is getting upset because they've been teabagged, then the fault is theirs.

I mean, I'm not keen on murdering people either, but I'll shoot their face off every chance I get during online, competitive games.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 27, 2021, 02:19:33 AM
Same, but look, I get sick of feeling guilty and anxious all the damn time man. I'm lying here now feeling like a cunt because I had to politely ask my neighbour to watch the noise after waking me up, on a night where I was particularly desperate to get some sleep... which is absurd.

So it's good to just be assertive and not worry about it in the context of a game. If someone is getting upset because they've been teabagged, then the fault is theirs.

I mean, I'm not keen on murdering people either, but I'll shoot their face off every chance I get during online, competitive games.

Would you do it if you were playing a board game in the same room? I get anxious and guilty all the time too btw.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mobius on August 27, 2021, 12:29:34 AM
What's a deathbox

When you die in some looter shooters like Apex Legends, you'll leave a deathbox behind permanently instead of a corpse. In Apex, this has your avatar visible on the front of it, and it can then be looted by other players.

After a really intense battle, the camera switches to the killers POV for the vanquished, and it can be a really cathartic, fun release to shout "LET'S GO" while shooting the fuck out of their deathbox.

I clutched a win this week; four squads of absolutely sweaty bastards left, both my teammates dead. One of them goes "no fucking way you're winning this man", but through luck, skill, patience and experience, I pulled it off... and then I punched and shot the ever loving shit out of that last deathbox in the throes of exuberant celebration. The teammate then amused me greatly by saying in his southern drawl, "ohhh that's toxic, that's toxic as fuuuck." 😅

It was fun bowing to people in that old Star Wars game back in the day, but times change and games have different cultures and such that are particular to them.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 27, 2021, 02:36:11 AM
Would you do it if you were playing a board game in the same room? I get anxious and guilty all the time too btw.

Nah I wouldn't teabag someone just because I'd kicked their arse at Monopoly. It'd be a whole process - a lot of work, and really just quite awakard and uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Cold Meat Platter

Toxicity at a distance and at a button press is much easier to be sure. Like an apache gunner.

Kelvin

Doesn't bother me at all. Its just a silly way for players to interact beyond the intended mechanics of a game. Yes, its technically ,"disrespecting" the other player, but its just a dumb goof. Its just a prank, man.

Teabagging's a bit naff and overdone, of course, but I think the wider concept of finding ways to interact - and yes, sometimes poke fun at - other players is a good one. I like it in Smash Bros when people squeeze in excess taunts when you die, or do silly jittery dances, or jump up and down on the spot. It's nice to be reminded that there's a real person with a daft sense of humour on the other side of the internet, somewhere.

And it works both ways, too. Sometimes people make "nicer" gestures, like bows, or self-destructs when you fuck up. I like seeing that human side come through in an age where people play most games online, rather than in a room with other people.

Barry Admin

Good old Kelvin gets it X-D yeah that's exactly how I feel mate.

And you make some great points. In fact, just earlier I did something like that. When you get knocked, you can press a button to deploy a knockdown shield which protects you from bullets, until it gets destroyed or they can position themselves to shoot around it. So there's a little dance there as you cower on all fours with limited mobility and a shitey shield.

I chased someone, got the knock, then got wrecked when I tried to thirst them (i.e. kill them immediately so they couldn't get revived). So I saw them hiding in the corner, and I scuttled over on all fours and flashed my knockdown shield on and off to say "Hiya!" They repeated the gesture, and we did this back and forth, and then just cowered while we waited to see which of our teammates would prevail.

Teabagging opponents from behind glass doors or a great distance and stuff is always good too - and again, is more of a greeting and acknowledgement than anything - although doesn't always end well for all concerned X-D https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvjuuSn-Hz6vgSYd8RLOwnZkjcXv

Kelvin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 27, 2021, 02:36:11 AM
Would you do it if you were playing a board game in the same room?

That's not really an apt comparison. A better question is, "Would you rib your mates if you were sat in a room playing local multiplayer?"

Although, tbh, I'm absolutely certain that if I was playing a board game with mates (say I had a gun pointed at me, for example), even then we'd all be giving each other a bit of stick and having a laugh about it.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Kelvin on August 27, 2021, 03:08:41 AM
That's not really an apt comparison. A better question is, "would you rib your mates if you were sat in a room playing local multiplayer?"

In fact, tbh, I'm absolutely certain that if I was playing a board game with mates (say I had a gun pointed at me, for example), even then we'd all be giving each other a bit of stick and having a laugh about it.

That's not 'toxicity' though, by definition. And it's very different to playing with randos. Yeah sorry I came in too hard on this as I'm a bit pissed but I really think that some kind of 'sportsmanship' is preferable online, speaking as someone who has has has 'death threats' in audio message form off some call of duty player for stealing a kill who had last stand on.

I know it was bullshit, obv, it's just... fucking grow up.

Kelvin

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 27, 2021, 03:06:20 AM
And you make some great points. In fact, just earlier I did something like that. When you get knocked, you can press a button to deploy a knockdown shield which protects you from bullets, until it gets destroyed or they can position themselves to shoot around it. So there's a little dance there as you cower on all fours with limited mobility and a shitey shield.

I chased someone, got the knock, then got wrecked when I tried to thirst them (i.e. kill them immediately so they couldn't get revived). So I saw them hiding in the corner, and I scuttled over on all fours and flashed my knockdown shield on and off to say "Hiya!" They repeated the gesture, and we did this back and forth, and then just cowered while we waited to see which of our teammates would prevail.

Love stuff like that, when you have a little silent connection with a person you cant see or hear - just your two avatars forgoing the game to do a silly dance, or gesture, or act of kindness / trolling. Its fun, its real.

Nowadays they bake stuff like that in with emotes and tags, etc. But its all the same principle; a way to make these big, fast moving, largely faceless games a little more intimate.

Kelvin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 27, 2021, 03:14:39 AM
That's not 'toxicity' though, by definition. And it's very different to playing with randos. Yeah sorry I came in too hard on this as I'm a bit pissed but I really think that some kind of 'sportsmanship' is preferable online, speaking as someone who has has has 'death threats' in audio message form off some call of duty player for stealing a kill who had last stand on.

I know it was bullshit, obv, it's just... fucking grow up.

Maybe we're talking about different things, then. Death threats and legit abuse are on a different scale than a bit of teabagging, or glitching, or dancing in a dead person's camera.

Barry Admin

I reserve my sportsmanship for my teammates. I always say "GG" and thank them, especially if we caught a win, and regardless of most of them being mute themselves.

I'd thank my opponents for the game and give them a GG too, if I could, but there is no way to do that, so I shoot their deathbox because they would have done it to me had they the chance.

Some people just stop dead and stand there, and it's boring AF to watch. If there's a hill I might jump and slide down it, or I'll pop my ultimate or anything else I can think of.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Kelvin on August 27, 2021, 03:23:18 AM
Maybe we're talking about different things, then. Death threats and legit abuse are on a different scale than a bit of teabagging, or glitching, or dancing in a dead person's camera.

I think being toxic and just doing a bit o teabagging with your mates are different things, defo. I think you can easily have a good old light hearted fuckabout in a game teabagging to your fucking heart's content if the atmosphere is right but if you're actively trying to piss off people you don't know... saying it's their fault for being fucked off is a bit Gervais

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 27, 2021, 03:31:49 AM
I reserve my sportsmanship for my teammates. I always say "GG" and thank them, especially if we caught a win, and regardless of most of them being mute themselves.

I'd thank my opponents for the game and give them a GG too, if I could, but there is no way to do that, so I shoot their deathbox because they would have done it to me had they the chance.

Some people just stop dead and stand there, and it's boring AF to watch. If there's a hill I might jump and slide down it, or I'll pop my ultimate or anything else I can think of.

I think you're talking about a far more specific situation than I am, dude.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 27, 2021, 03:46:31 AM
I think you're talking about a far more specific situation than I am, dude.

I'm talking about a specific game, and the customs within it, sure.

The other game I play is Torn and it's actually fucking brutal, and very intimidating when you start playing. Even now, I still am careful to behave, or am just always aware of what the ramifications may be for mugging someone etc.

It's a game that's essentially got loads of griefing built into it by the dev. Someone can take a dislike to a noob and just perma bounty them for literally years to try and force them to quit, and being bountied means constant attacks and hospitalisations, so people either adapt or quit.

If that noob comes on the forums and cries about the bounties? The community will get fucked off and pile even more on :-D it's a harsh environment, but there's something wonderful about it. Extortion and stuff is legal, you can threaten to fuck people up if they don't pay you money, and scamming is also legal but highly frowned upon by most. It's actually incredible to have those kinds of options in a game.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 27, 2021, 03:49:27 AM
I'm talking about a specific game, and the customs within it, sure.

The other game I play is Torn and it's actually fucking brutal, and very intimidating when you start playing. Even now, I still am careful to behave, or am just always aware of what the ramifications maybe for mugging someone etc.

It's a game that's essentially got loads of griefing built into it by the dev. Someone can take a dislike to a noob and just perma bounty them for literally years to try and force them to quit, and being bountied means constant attacks and hospitalisations, so people either adapt or quit.

If that noob comes on the forums and cries about the bounties? The community will get fucked off and pile even more on :-D it's a harsh environment, but there's something wonderful about it.

I'm thinking of getting Escape from Tarkov this week and it seems similar except in FPS form. It's like multiplayer fallout meets stalker meets counterstrike. Utter brutality.   Actually no, it isn't really but fucking hardcore for a shooter.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

A nifty trick in The Last Of Us multiplayer was that if you were downed, you could crawl on your hands and knees towards a fellow team member so they could revive you before you bled out. If you were lucky there would be an enemy player nearby who was also downed, and you could attempt to recreate the Human Centipede by positioning your face on their rectum.
What stories I'll have to tell my grandchildren...

Sonny_Jim

In Rocket League I tend to spam 'Calculated' in the chat, sometimes for no reason apart from it makes me laugh.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I invented this on Goldeneye 64, back in 1997. Of course, we didn't have any of your fancy online malarkey and it wasn't called "teabagging", it was bumming the corpse.

You're welcome.

Utter Shit

I don't play any games that directly relate to this, but I suppose FIFA has a similar code of conduct with regard to celebrating goals and your general manner of play. My attitude is to always play nice unless the other person isn't reciprocating, in which case go all in on the bad behaviour. Anyone making a point of doing annoying celebrations (there's a team dance one that is infuriating) can get it, same for anyone doing pointless skills just to be flash.

I know GTA is famous for its toxic players, but there were lots of little moments playing online where you'd bond in weird ways with other players using the environment. I distinctly remember one game where a guy drove right up to me and stayed still. Obviously at this point you're expecting a rocket launcher to the head or whatever, but he did nothing.

So I got out and, as a way of saying hello, climbed onto the top of my car and started smashing the roof in with a golf club. And the other bloke got out, climbed onto the roof of his car and whacked it with a baseball bat. Then we went our separate ways. It was such a weird, silly thing but amidst all the dickheadness of GTA Online it was a really enjoyable moment.

Beagle 2

Twats on FIFA make me want to throw my telly out of the window, standard shitty behaviour includes aimlessly passing it around at the back or standing still shielding the ball, pausing and leaving it, bringing the keeper out on mad runs (alright I do that one as well), that sort of thing. I wish nothing but the very worst for these people (children).

On Rocket League it does amuse me though, people try and use the mild standard ones to taunt in a bit of a sarcastic way ("Nice shot!" for an own goal etc.), there's a whole other set of mind games going on with those but you can't teabag a car. If you get someone on cross-play who's on a PC they can type freely so it's usually just one person foaming at the mouth which I enjoy. I always ignore the requests to default the game and battle on solo if they're sulking. Taste a lingering defeat and think about what you've done.

Utter Shit

There was a football game within the past ten years or so - I want to say one of the Pro Evos, but perhaps not - where you had 'reaction' buttons you could press any time there was a goal scored, someone got booked, shots went out of play etc...from what I remember the filters were pretty tight so you couldn't have anything abusive, but it was quite good fun sending an "I'll go and get it" message after someone blasted a shot over.

The Crumb

If I beat an awful created character or 2B in Soul Calibur 6 I'll give them some little show of disdain.