Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:02:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Morecambe & Wise on Python. University comedy Vs Comedy derived from music hall?

Started by Brundle-Fly, August 27, 2021, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 29, 2021, 07:56:15 AM
Jokolgists have located that as early as Hancock's half Hour.

Many of their gags have been traced back to the cretaceous period.

jamiefairlie

It's amazing how modern Hancock still sounds today. Compared to war time stuff like ITMA and the like which honestly sounds like it's in a foreign language to me.

Quote from: Paul Hayes on September 12, 2021, 07:36:02 PM
Apologies for the delayed reply to this, but yes - here you go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09tgh00

Thank you!

I was wondering if Morecambe was strictly talking about Monty Python from the beginning (since Wise seems to stress Monty Python when he comes in as though there could have been a wider discussion of new comedy to begin with) but the clip doesn't go that far back so I'll stop fretting about that now.

In the new bit I enjoyed seeing the pleasure they took in admitting the influences from Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy: 'Of course! Enormously. We copied them actually.' That attitude towards originality might show up another difference between the 'music hall' and 'university' comedy. The gestural demonstrations of Laurel and Hardy living on in their tie twiddles reminds me of a thing I mentioned earlier - Daniel Kitson acknowledging Morecambe after he made the joke about having something in his eye - oh it's his finger (although I've never seen Morecambe do that).