Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Myst

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 27, 2021, 03:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Looks like they've done a complete remaster of the game for VR, plus you can also play it on a normal screen. Having tried and failed to run the original version on a modern PC, this is jolly pleasant news. Anyone else looking forward to going through it / going through it again?

Captain Z

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

Thinking about it, playing this on our first PC is probably what put me off computer games for good.

Ferris

Best news I've heard all day. Always liked Myst and it's weird "if you don't get it that's your problem" vibe. Will give this a go, though suspect I could sleepwalk through it at this point.

Rev+

The original was pretty much a slideshow that involved clicking around static images.  A VR version must be going the extra mile in making the environments, but why?

Fucking hated Myst from the off, mainly due to the original ad campaign of it being 'a video game, but for grown-ups'.  Fuck off with that.  The actual game would have been alright if it had the slightest sense of fun or humour about it, but it was the most po-faced load of old trolleys I'd seen at that point.  It wanted to be considered to be a serious work of art, and I'd be fine with that if it didn't want to be considered a serious work of art.

Quote from: Rev+ on August 29, 2021, 02:47:36 AM
The original was pretty much a slideshow that involved clicking around static images.  A VR version must be going the extra mile in making the environments, but why?

It's been re-issued and remade many, many times, including as a fully 3D version, so the basic work has already been done towards making a VR version I guess

In fact It's been reissued so many times, when I saw this my immediate though was "Another fucking version of Myst??"

I think I'm in the "hasn't aged well" camp, I enjoyed the weird atmosphere and the world design but hated most of the puzzles, whenever I've replayed it I usually stop after the point you escape the first island because that's generally where it stops being fun for me.

In a lot of cases I'd say the blatant rip-offs made by other developers like Activision's Zork Nemesis/Grand Inquisitor were a massive improvement on the basic idea, whereas Myst feels like a prototype with a lot of issues that needed to be worked out.

Famous Mortimer

I do like Zork Nemesis, true.

madhair60

Quote from: Rev+ on August 29, 2021, 02:47:36 AM

Fucking hated Myst from the off, mainly due to the original ad campaign of it being 'a video game, but for grown-ups'.  Fuck off with that.  The actual game would have been alright if it had the slightest sense of fun or humour about it, but it was the most po-faced load of old trolleys I'd seen at that point.  It wanted to be considered to be a serious work of art, and I'd be fine with that if it didn't want to be considered a serious work of art.

somebody got stuck in the Selenitic Age

Rev+

Is that the one with the train track and the sounds?

If so, I got that one almost immediately, but my flatmate (whose computer I'd play it on, just at different times) sprang off into QAnon levels of theories about how it all worked, and yet couldn't find a solution.  Didn't tell him, of course, just wanted to see his mental descent.  We'd known each other for years and he'd done the same thing about the Monkey Island 2 finger thing.