Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Calls To Franco, plus the Daily Mail get vicious...

Started by Neil, March 01, 2004, 06:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of the current state of British comedy?

Same as it's ever been.
41 (25.9%)
Bloody awful at the minute
65 (41.1%)
Better than it's been for ages!
11 (7%)
Why don't E4/C4 just pack up, and fuck off?
41 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Voting closed: March 01, 2004, 07:09:38 AM

Neil

As you'll know, the Daily Mail have had a right pop at Chris Morris in the past, but this time they're really going for the jugular and...accusing him of going mainstream!  

Is Brass Eye's Chris Morris about to cash in on his talents?  Morris has been shooting his latest project ­ a sitcom based in East London ­ and insiders say it's the most mainstream thing he's done.  It supposedly revolves around the character of Nathan Barley ­ a Hoxton-dwelling trustafarian who features on the spoof TV listings website TVGoHome.com ­ and is due out later this year on Channel 4.

Many thanks to Sam Newlander for sending that in!  If you spot any bits and pieces like that then please do let us know.  You can also upload scans to the Image Archive if you have a forum account.  Actually, the Image Archive is still very empty after the recent problems we had with the site, so I'll try and reupload all the old pics as I have them all saved.  As ever, we also want to hear from you if you have any news at all about Chris Morris...mail me!  neilbombd@cookdandbombd.co.uk

Oh for those of you who are wondering what's happened to the The Day Today DVD, the release has now been pushed back to the 26th April.  Here's the fuil blurb: "The Day Today Is out on 26th April 2004 and will have loads of extras including 6 mini-news bulletins, extended scenes, an unseen pilot episode and audio commentary with Chris Morris and Armando Ianucci."  Apparently Adam Tandy pushed back the date to ensure that the DVD is packed full of goodness, so let's hope we finally get a Morris DVD that's not lazily thrown together rubbish.

Some fantastic downloads for you now, first up is another 1993 GLR show, so far this is only the second one we've surfaced.  This is just as great as the last one though, and seems to contain the first ever Kiddys Outing!  There's also some pre-recorded prank calls by Morris and Paul Garner, as they phone America in search of the elusive Franco...  Oh, it's a fantastic show, really good introduction if, for some bizarre reason, you've not bothered with the GLR stuff before.   Oh, incidentally this recording is in mono and will be upgraded when I can get a new soundcard, so if you're on dialup you may want to wait.  Huge thanks to Martin Dean for supplying this show...and don't forget to get in touch if you have GLR shows knocking around, please don't just assume we'll already have them, very few are actually in the hands of collectors and it's bloody annoying as they're probably my fave Morris radio stuff.  

Finally, we've got a couple of new Harpoons for you too, I've added the first two episodes of series 2 to the Collab Page.  Glad to see that people are enjoying this classic show, we'll keep adding them until the full set are up there.  Many thanks once again to Julian Dutton for supplying us with copies.

burpmitosis

Thank you Neil and Martin Dean for doing the impossible and making a freezing monday morning worth existing for!

Bilko

Thanks for the update Neil

How can the Daily Mail prejudge something they have not seen. They say insiders which means none-one who works on the Daily Mail has seen any of Morris's new work. The word Sitcom does not automatically equal mainstream and unfunny. All of Alan Partridge work is as funny as anything Morris has done, Phoenix Nights and The Office has equally giving us all enjoyment over the last two years. I will only judge something I've seen.

Is the TDT DVD news official now. There have been several posts in the Comedy Forum about what is going to be on the DVD. If it is official it's looking good, the 6 mini news and The pilot show in particular are what we wanted. Commentary by Iannucci and Morris is also something to treasured along as they take it seriously and tell us stuff like what they were trying to achieve and what were their influences.

Ta for the Harpoon seconds series as well. I haven't personally got around to listening to the first series yet, although I have downloaded it.

Neil

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"How can the Daily Mail prejudge something they have not seen. They say insiders which means none-one who works on the Daily Mail has seen any of Morris's new work. The word Sitcom does not automatically equal mainstream and unfunny. All of Alan Partridge work is as funny as anything Morris has done, Phoenix Nights and The Office has equally giving us all enjoyment over the last two years. I will only judge something I've seen.

I'm reading "mainstream" here as meaning "not dark", which can only be a good thing.  I've a feeling the tone of the Nathan Barley show is going to be as far removed from the likes of jam as possible.  Yay!  While all those wankers are busy shovelling jokes about cancer, paedos and suicide into their utterly depressing shows, Morris and Brooker may just be poised to surprise us all.  I hope so.  

QuoteIs the TDT DVD news official now. There have been several posts in the Comedy Forum about what is going to be on the DVD. If it is official it's looking good, the 6 mini news and The pilot show in particular are what we wanted. Commentary by Iannucci and Morris is also something to treasured along as they take it seriously and tell us stuff like what they were trying to achieve and what were their influences.

Yeah it's official, it's on the BBC site, and has filtered down to the websites that flog DVD's too.

Ambient Sheep

Heh, I love the idea of the Daily Mail linking to a site that uses the C-word so liberally.  How would they report this?

Outrage as trusted tabloid peddles obscenity maybe.

Purple Tentacle

W00t!!!!!!!!!!!!! Harpoons!

Cheers, look forward to listening to these!

Purple Tentacle

Oops?

The first Series 2 download is the same as one of the Series 1 episodes... "I say Sis, it's a bit rotten of you to bury me up to my neck in sand like this!"

Is this deliberate, or a mistake?

Neil

Oh shit, I'll check that out, not sure how that's happened.  Thanks.

Neil

No, I can't work this out.  I just ran through all the mp3's and even checked Duttons tapes and 2.1 is definitely the Bumper Summer Special.  None of the first series mp3s I have on my puter have that intro, nor is there a same-sized file as 2.1 on the server!  Can you please check your mp3s and tell me which episode in the first series you suspect is the same?  You sure you didn't download one of the old captures that was there perhaps??

Hans

Both new episodes were different for me.  Cheers for the new Harpoon episodes Neil, it's become one of the things I listen to pretty regularly.

Something about the Daily Mail.

Neil

Yeah ApexJazz checked his mp3s as well and couldn't find a series 1 episode that was the same, any chance you could check when you have time please Purple Tentacle?

Purple Tentacle

Hello there, sorry for the delay I've been off work for a couple of days.

Just re-downloaded Episode one again and I've DEFINITELY heard it quite a few times before, so presumably it was available on the site in the before-time.

I won't know for certain until I get home what filename it had before, but there you go, that's what had me confused.

Anyway, double thumbs-up and all that, and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest!

Incidentally, is there a specific reason why Coogan isn't in the Collaboration sectino?

Darrell

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Incidentally, is there a specific reason why Coogan isn't in the Collaboration section?

At a guess because there isn't much of his that isn't available from HMV in a nice box. I can only think of the old live promo album of his impressionism and the now deleted Ferrino LP that are remotely rare.

Purple Tentacle

I prefered the word "sectino" myself, it gave my post a mediterranian flava.

Neil

Yeah that's it really, plus Coogan is hardly under-represented on the net.  That said TJ did send me the Tony Ferrino album so I could stick a couple of tracks up there.  I dunno, I'm still a bit iffy about out of print stuff, which is why I'm not sure if I'll put up Darrell's encode of the Fruits and Fancies tape.

Darrell

Something there is is his South Bank Show from 2001, complete with pleasantly lengthy Day Today section. I have an original off-air if you wish to borrow it for capping.

Whoredog

The 'Going Mainstream' jibes were also directed at John Cleese when he left Python and was reported to be working on a sitcom...

Whatever happened to that? Can you get the tapes from anywhere?

BlodwynPig

What you are saying is that there is a new series of Nathan Barley?