Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:53:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Internal Monologues

Started by Poobum, August 27, 2021, 11:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

I remember reading a thread on here about some people not having a mind's eye and being totally shocked, my mind being constantly filled with vivid moving imagery. Now it's happened again now that I've learned that some people don't have internal monologues. I find this even more confusing, my inner voice never shuts up, before I sleep I'm scripting entire internal movies and playing them out. I've created entire ongoing sagas with re-occurring characters that I break out during insomnia bouts. I can't imagine thinking about a single thing without verbalizing it into definitions. Writing this I'm saying the words first in my head before typing. Most of the time I can't get the bastard to shut up. Like aphantasia, it's unimaginable to me that someone's mind can be so different yet function to the same outcome, yet I also find it delightful that this variety exists even within humans. I can also see an advantage in that sometimes, if I can't put words to a feeling or emotional state, then I have trouble processing it and moving on, particularly if it's depression. Anyone on here brain mutes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69YSh-cFXY   Interesting video, but I'm like the guy, it just confuses me even more.

Dex Sawash

Wife doesn't believe me when she asks what I'm thinking about and say nothing.

Dex Sawash

Sometimes I'm thinking about doppelkorn thinking about Space Jam but I don't tell her that

non capisco

Quote from: Poobum on August 27, 2021, 11:30:51 PM
Now it's happened again now that I've learned that some people don't have internal monologues.

Whaaat? How would I cope at night without the ability to rehearse imaginary arguments with people I don't like at work where I always win because I'm controlling both of the voices?

I bet people without internal monologues actually go to sleep in that fabled 'as soon as my head hits the pillow' way you sometimes hear boasted about, as if instantly powering down for a kip like C3-PO is a natural thing to do.

Alberon

When I'm doing something my mind is mostly just visualizing something and I decide to to do it. But if I'm not occupied my mind is usually burbling away about something and then it's more like a string of words, though usually it's a mixture of images and sentences rather than just <thinks> Yes, I will have a wank </thinks>.

Even when I'm zoning out my mind is usually running some, usually bizarre, scenario.

To be honest, to me the no internal monologue is harder to comprehend than the whole no visual memory business.

who cares

I heard someone who used to be a Buddhist monk call it, "the river of shit." I guess he should know.

Seem to recall something about an experimenter who collects people's internal monologues, they have little buzzer that goes off regularly and they have to document all the shite they've been thinking about- did I forget to buy potatoes oh I hope John comes round later with the lampshade why can't I find boots number seven mascara in blue and so on. Then he writes them on a bit of paper, screws it up and tosses it in the bin and does something important and scientific with it

who cares

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 27, 2021, 11:33:30 PM
Sometimes I'm thinking about doppelkorn thinking about Space Jam but I don't tell her that

A little part of my heart is always in Limpopo fart barn

Butchers Blind

Sorry, is like talking to yourself? I do that sometimes if I'm trying to work something out, but not in public of course.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: non capisco on August 27, 2021, 11:39:05 PM
I bet people without internal monologues actually go to sleep in that fabled 'as soon as my head hits the pillow' way you sometimes hear boasted about, as if instantly powering down for a kip like C3-PO is a natural thing to do.

My brother has always had that ability. I've had insomnia since childhood so as you can imagine I fucking hate him.

JesusAndYourBush

When you do your internal monologue your throat makes very tiny movements, if you do it with a different accent (any kind of stereotypical comedy accent) the throat movements are more pronounced.  Its been theorised that it'd be possible to work out what someone is thinking by analysing those movements.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Poobum on August 27, 2021, 11:30:51 PM
my inner voice never shuts up, before I sleep I'm scripting entire internal movies and playing them out. I've created entire ongoing sagas with re-occurring characters that I break out during insomnia bouts.

I do that to help me fall asleep.  I have a handful of different ones and often use the same one for months on end.  It's become so effective that I'd be afraid of thinking about 'the story' during the day in some situation where I need to stay awake because I'd probably fall asleep.

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on August 28, 2021, 12:42:47 AM
My brother has always had that ability. I've had insomnia since childhood so as you can imagine I fucking hate him.

^Do that.  Just make up a story.  Go though each 'scene' in as much detail as you like.  Let the story go in whatever direction your fancy takes you.  For me repetition seems to be the key, so I use the same story every time, although often I fall asleep before I've even started.

The Mollusk

ADHD + ROIDS means that sleep for me these last couple weeks has been very fleeting, most of the time it's about 4-5 hours a night. I had three 8% beers and a smoke last night and still woke up today after 5 hours just like "right I'm up". I find it impossible to shut my brain up at the best of times but during these bouts of insomnia my thoughts hit the ground running as soon as I open my eyes.

The first fuckin thing I that barrelled into my brain when I woke up today at 4:30am was an imaginary scenario wherein I meet Madlib. I thought, he has two sorta different looks in the photos I've seen of him, would I recognise him in the street? I'd hate to miss the opportunity to talk to him. Shit, would I call him Madlib or be like "yo you're Otis right?" Wait, is his name Otis or Curtis? One thing's for sure, I know how much I'd love to tell him "Whutkanido (Can Do It)" is one of the sickest beats I've ever heard and thank him for it.

Buelligan

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 28, 2021, 02:21:56 AM
When you do your internal monologue your throat makes very tiny movements, if you do it with a different accent (any kind of stereotypical comedy accent) the throat movements are more pronounced.  Its been theorised that it'd be possible to work out what someone is thinking by analysing those movements.

Yes.  I've done this with sleeping dogs.  Amazing what they come out with.

Greg Torso

Quote from: MY INTERNAL MONOLOGUE
going Tesco this is fine and normal famous and dandy just like amos and andy I'm in the supermarket and it is fine, I am in the supermarket, everyone does this all the time every no one is looking no one sees anything strange.
Didn't make a list fuck that list i will just wing it like jazz shopping tesco I wonder what horrible war crimes lord tesco has done, christ theres nowhere to shop ethically without having to talk to a man that might call you squire I fucking hate the supermarket I want to punch myself in my big shit soft face forever fuck food god why do I have to eat why didnt I make a list
The security guard just looked at me FUCK he remembers that time I accidentally left the security tag on those eight shit quid sneakers I bought he has marked me i am on a list of knobs god that girl over there putting beans on shelf I bet she thinks I um heap big right cunt oh dear that thought was a bit racist where did that come from, the Beano probably, didnt they have a racist indian character who always said me um heap big twat wait why did I fucking come in here I hate me life.
tubby bald fuck fucking bag of nowt.
Why do I care if that girl looks at me I am married and my youthful good looks are hidden deep in years of terrible diet and snorkelling in piss and oh wait do i need prawns fuck off prawns. I cant breathe in here
how do people just do things without thinking about them. Maybe I should start smoking weed again. cant just eat crisps and lion bars forever i am going to DIE
I used to put a handful of skips in my mouth and then take a drink of milk and hold it all in my cheeks like a hamster until the skips dissolved and then swallow the mush whole like a pelican thing chug it thug life.
Fuck me dead im a nonentity someone got stabbed in an asda last year over an argument about wearing a mask imagine dying in a supermarche de penis and the last thing you see a big cardboard cut out for david nothing wailliams's "after dinner hate speeches" why can't I get published and these cunts just shit out book deals like clucking slabs of runny diarrhoea gut flush,
  and my trousers are too tight tight hush hush eye to eye oh god you fat poundcake piss twat how did I let myself get so massive oh wee he ha a thee lockdown pounds lol  we've all done it we've all piled on the fucking parklife nobber jizz laggers cunt armour haven't we. hologram cummings. Turgid cummerbund of fat around your crap sick stomach
be honest you just want booze just get a bottle of voddy-kay and orange juice and slam that forever why do I hate people why do I get so angry about people who know about spices. Tiddlycunts. I cant fucking breathe. I need
milk milk lemonade around the corner crème eggs are made of curdled piss and gravel. walnut milk and cereal and skips and vodka and arent people who pronounce the L in walnut and almond fucking arses who should have their mouths sewn shut thats probably fine that will do no one is wearing a mask that bloke is looking at me like he just banged a gallon of heroin up his tits and now he thinks he's john farnham weird dogshit bastard
here I go swinging my huge rusty boat arse out over the end of the pancakes aisle ah fucking I was going to look up some recipes and start cooking but thats for arse tarts with kitchens and more than one saucepan. bomb them. get a toblerone. Remember when toblerones were only in airports do you DO YA DO DIYRT E YER DYER REMMEBER WHEN AIRPOSRTS WHERE THE ONLY DOMAIN OF THE TOBELRONE AND NOW YOU CAN BY THEM IN ANY OFL TOM DICK AND DIGNITAS cant you fuckin white chocolta get it.
really really depressing looking at vegetables and knoing if I bought one it would just compost in my fridge over the next few days passed over for pus dunkers and patriotic cheese. What a thicket of stupidity. Cralw through the self service hate having to scan the piss and get someone over to verify me. Yes I am buying wolf piss again you crime loving bastards on the thief pocketing the diff when some wet dog hair stankiferous john player gold leaf special fruit-of-the-sewer forgets their change in the robot till slot shame gape
got a personality like a draining swimming pool served a la farte on an absolutely crap day out at hucknall market why didnt I order this online why am I outside

Fr.Bigley

I wonder what form, size and weight the days shit will be.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotepeople who pronounce the L in walnut

Is there a way of saying walnut without the L? (Full disclosure: I opt for 'whorl-nut' rather than the flat Worcester/Malverny 'wAL-nut')

Buelligan

Waahl-nut.  Has to be.

Unfortunately, you've edited out who posted that, as you so often, so irritatingly, do, so I can't take it up with them or read the context of it.  Please stop, really, please.

Greg Torso

Is there a way of saying walnut without the L? (Full disclosure: I opt for 'whorl-nut' rather than the flat Worcester/Malverny 'wAL-nut')

You know what, you're right. I thought I was saying "war nut", as in "make walnut love", but when I stopped and really put a bit of gloss on it, I realised that all along I was actually saying "whorl/wall nut" , as in "that is a wall, not a toilet".
I was momentarily thinking of John Richardson absolutely rolling the "L" in "almond" and it fogged my senses with rage and I forgot how I have always pronounced "walnut". I hope this has cleared everything up.

Pink Gregory

The Mollusk

Whenever I say walnut I curl my tongue up and back into the roof of my mouth and then flick it back outward. Open my mouth as far as it'll go to do it. If you're going to say walnut it's worth doing properly.

Mark Wahlnut

Tony Tony Tony

My stepson is one of the weird fecks without an internal monologue. He often verbalises his thoughts, generally very quietly or often under his breath. It comes in handy when I want to know what he thinks about something but is a bit of a bugger when we are watching Tv together. In addition it has got him in a scrape or two where he has expressed his thoughts about folks in social situations. As a result he has learned to control his habit though he still grumbles and gripes at the sight of a ginger. Apparently his first love was a flame haired temptress who broke his heart. Not sure what he might do if he ever bumps into Prince Harry or maybe Carole Decker.

Edit: Oh and he steers clear of walnuts.

Paul Calf

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 29, 2021, 08:06:32 AM
Whenever I say walnut I curl my tongue up and back into the roof of my mouth and then flick it back outward. Open my mouth as far as it'll go to do it. If you're going to say walnut it's worth doing properly.

Mark Wahlnut

That's known as a retroflexive consonant and is quite common in South Asian languages but almost unknown everywhere else.

Apologies if you already knew this.

Norton Canes

I've got an internal monologue but whichever part of my brain it lives in must have a really small buffer space because it's only ever about five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and five words going round and round

Shoulders?-Stomach!

And those words are

Gonna have to kill children

flotemysost

Yep, I'm never not rehearsing some sort of future conversation or scenario in my mind. Or even imagining I'm acting something fictional. Often have these thoughts while bored on public transport and my face probably involuntarily betrays whatever emotions I'm acting out in my head (either that or I'll be imagining performing whatever song I'm listening to), which is yet another reason I'm in no rush to ditch mask wearing.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: flotemysost on August 29, 2021, 01:01:37 PM
Yep, I'm never not rehearsing some sort of future conversation or scenario in my mind.

I often do this so it's a relief to read someone else does the same thing - However 95% of the time those future conversations never actually go the way I've rehearsed.

flotemysost

I reckon it's really common. I wonder if it's partly down to self esteem - in my case, I can be a bit of a doormat sometimes (depending on who with) so it's like a way of living out the confrontations, righteous anger and cutting comebacks I know I'll never have the guts or wit to enact in reality.

TrenterPercenter

Very common and perfectly normal.

Buelligan

Quote from: Greg Torso on August 28, 2021, 03:01:13 PM
I was momentarily thinking of John Richardson absolutely rolling the "L" in "almond"...

I BET YOU WERE YOU DIRTY OLD BOLLOCKS. I BET YOU FUCKING WERE.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 29, 2021, 02:27:44 PM
Very common and perfectly normal.

The thing is, I was a bit of a weird kid (surprise, surprise) and remember talking to a doctor after I started falling behind at school and the doctor asked if I ever "heard voices" but because I was so young and didn't understand the concept of internal monologues, I must have answered "yes" because I didn't really know any different. Nothing came of it but I suspect the doctor and my parents suspected I had schizophrenia at a young age.