Author Topic: BioShock - the Collection  (Read 2828 times)

H-O-W-L

• "CHRIST!!! CAT BRUSH!!!"
Re: BioShock - the Collection
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2021, 12:05:49 PM »
I always thought it got a bit of a bad rap just because "Bioshock is perfect and doesn't need a sequel" became the mantra at the time. Sure, the story isn't as impactful, but I liked the gameplay more and found the level design more enjoyable.

I think it is a wholly better game than Bioshock 1, in purely mechanical terms, but I think the story is weaker; mostly because Rapture as a character gets sidelined a bit much for the quasi-familial elements.

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »
I think it is a wholly better game than Bioshock 1, in purely mechanical terms, but I think the story is weaker; mostly because Rapture as a character gets sidelined a bit much for the quasi-familial elements.

I think that's fair. There's also something a little cynical in the whole "last time we showed you a disturbing far right libertarian fantasy, now here's the left side of the coin" as if you can just transpose any political criticism into Rapture and it still works.

H-O-W-L

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »
I think that's fair. There's also something a little cynical in the whole "last time we showed you a disturbing far right libertarian fantasy, now here's the left side of the coin" as if you can just transpose any political criticism into Rapture and it still works.

I think it's fair to say that Lamb is not truly on the left, not to play No True Scotsman, but ultimately what she espouses, what she wants to achieve, is a very right wing sort of thing. She doesn't truly want an egalitarian collectivized society -- that's grift, and all her backstory says as much. She wants a top-down bio-totalitarian dictatorship which she controls, as Mother, through Eleanor. Everyone is unified with Eleanor, whom is controlled by Sofia, and all thought, all dissent, is quashed and controlled by her. The circuit is one, and one is the machine.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2021, 10:34:27 PM »
My only problem with 2 is the same issue with BaS. As in, the idea that Lamb has been around Rapture whilst everything was going down is shoehorny and rubbish.

The same with the theme really, like "ahh but collectivism is just as bad ahhh". Not a fan of the sort of childish effort. But then fuck it not arsed about the story. I feel the first one could never really be topped as the perfect brew of story, characters, world building, level design, sound design, character design, gameplay etc.

H-O-W-L

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2021, 10:48:13 PM »
I think the theme is well-done but as you say retrofitting it into Rapture is sort of half-arsed. It's a game that would've worked a lot better with a whole new setting, or if it had explicitly decanonized Bioshock 1, or even was a prequel, as some kind of like... Bioshock twilight zone anthology thing.

Mister Six

• Golden Member
  • Feeling like Lemon Ken
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2021, 02:28:43 AM »
It's why I also hate a similar coupling in Fallout 4 -- there's no way the pre-war world of Fallout was racially tolerant or LGBTQ+ accepting, at least not openly. It was a fascist hellscape.

How do you know that? Definitely a hellscape, but I don't think there's any indication in Fallouts 1 through New Vegas that America was racist or homophobic (at least no more so than the present) before the bombs fell. The aesthetic comes from '50s sci-fi, but the actual year the bombs came down was 2077.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 03:11:41 AM by Mister Six »

Tags: