Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:27:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fizzy drinks

Started by itsfredtitmus, August 29, 2021, 12:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 29, 2021, 10:09:45 PM
oh lah di da ark at the anointed ones over here when we had fizz we had to get it at boobies fizzpump for a hashilling a fentleqump.
HOWL tells us how he milked mrs thatcher

who cares

Quote from: Kankurette on August 29, 2021, 12:33:55 PM
I had this syrupy rosewater drink in Ning (Manchester restaurant in the Northern Quarter that does Malaysian food) a while back. It was fit and it also tasted of Turkish delight.

You can buy the syrup in Manchester Superstores, Longsight. Maybe the other Superstores too. I've got some in my kitchen, I sometimes drink it neat.

who cares

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Ian Drunken Smurf on August 29, 2021, 09:30:31 PM
Tried Idris' or Bundaberg Ginger Beer?

Sure have, even the "fiery" Idris, but have been unable to find one with a truly aggressive taste, until the Belvoir. Considering making my own from scratch, looks pretty straightforward.

Dex Sawash

Like to chuck a few slices ginger in plain seltzer.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 29, 2021, 10:23:06 AM
I've tried kombucha twice and each time it tasted like poor-quality vinegar that had been left in a cellar for a couple of years. I don't understand how it's become semi-mainstream given that it's 'brewed' with random moulds, slimes and bacteria that have settled on its surface.

We've been here before and you backed down then calfy so I don't know how you are still spreading your fake news. Kombucha is made with a specific microbial culture and is in that sense no different to making bread, beer or yoghurt. Are those made with random moulds and bacteria?

monkfromhavana

I know they terrible for you, but I love fizzy pop. Not to re-open old wounds but Pepsi is clearly superior to Coca Cola in every aspect. Also about 1 in 30 cans of Coca Cola seems to turn my stomach and have me firing liquid out of my ass.

Pepsi, Cherry Pepsi, Dr. Pepper or Irn Bru are really my go-tos. Lemonade always sounds like a better idea that it actually is and can't be bothered with any of the other fruit flavoured drinks (aside from cherry). Odd can of ginger beer / cream soda / shandy every now and then.

Lilt seems to have disappeared.

touchingcloth

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 30, 2021, 03:46:03 PM
Lilt seems to have disappeared.

Cancelled for cultural appropriation. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was that advert with a guy in blackface going "wagwan me want a lickle bit that totally tropical taste, coke is for bumberclots."

Gulftastic

I've never drunk tea or coffee, and as such pretty much live on diet pop. Love it to bits. Decades back, diet drinks were undrinkable, they tasted so poor. Especially cola drinks for some reason, but sometime in the early 90's they seemed to figure it out and they all became palatable.

During lockdown, I bought a can crusher to shrink the amount of recycling that was building up.

Fr.Bigley

Cresta brand lemonade, Bass shandy in a can and whatever else ancient shite you old twats drink.

Spoon of Ploff

Had to knock that Purdeys Grape and Apple on the head before it started to become a bit of a problem...

Didn't want to have another Limonata on my hands.

itsfredtitmus

peter kay doesnt even work anymore because lidl's pepsi is pretty good (their coke's nasty though, something wrong with it. really wrong)

seepage

^ ??? don't get it, surely they just do one own-brand cola, not separate rip-offs of pepsi & coca-cola?

paruses

Had 2 cans of Appletizer this afternoon. The tiny aeroplane and train buffet cart size. Tasted very nice after a gap of maybe 20 years. I was very thirsty. Got the impression it might taste of sweet metal with prolonged consumption.

Cold Meat Platter

The reduced sugar versions most of the soft drinks moved to after the 'sugar tax' are dogshit.

touchingcloth

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on August 29, 2021, 10:13:05 PM
HOWL tells us how he milked mrs thatcher

H-O-W-L's oozing Frazzle.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 30, 2021, 09:03:07 PM
The reduced sugar versions most of the soft drinks moved to after the 'sugar tax' are dogshit.

Yep - Dr Pepper does not taste like Dr Pepper anymore.  Luckily one of our local kebab shops still get their soft drinks from Europe (though I guess that arrangement won't last much longer), so I can still enjoy proper full sugar Dr Pepper without any artificial sweeteners.

Intrigued how the new formula Pepsi (count me as another one who prefers Pepsi over Coca-Cola, although full fat Cherry Coca-Cola pisses all over Pepsi Max Cherry) will taste, and whether it will literally just be a reduction in the amount of sugar and that's it, or whether they will introduce a percentage of artificial sweeteners like most of the others have.  I've not seen one out in the wild yet.

Hat FM

fizzy pinaepple and coconut. damn son!

Jockice

I bought a four-pack of apple Lucozade yesterday, while refuelling the car and picking up a couple pf items of shopping. This is a first for me. I love the normal flavour and the pink lemonade. The orange I'm not too mad about but it's drinkable. I doubt if I'll ever try the cherry, Brazilian or Caribbean flavours (not my sort of thing at all), have had the watermelon and strawberry type once (very nice but doesn't seem to be on sale in many places) and I've never even seen the citrus chill or raspberry ripple ones. Haven't had the apple yet (it's still in the car) but I'll report back. If you want,

Apart from that I'm a big Irn-Bru fan. Needless to say being Scottish and all that. When I first moved to England they didn't sell it here. I was absolutely bereft. And Ting grapefruit juice. My fridge also contains some Ka fruit punch and pineapple flavours. They're okay for an occasional change. And Blue Spark energy drink. That I sip while I'm at my desk. Contrary to what my sister - who calls them 'cans of death' - seems to think, I rarely drink even a full can a day.

Pepsi is far better than Coke. I will probably never buy the latter again in my life anyway. Like the Labour Party it's offended me too much. I have a bottle of Pepsi Max in the car for stops at the moment. And I had a can of Lemon Fanta that had been in there for ages when I went to a birthday picnic at the weekend. There's also a can of San Pellegrino in there. Not sure what flavour though. I also like Orangina, although it's not as good as I remember it from my first trip to France on a school trip when I was 12.

Ginger beer, Dr Pepper and dandelion and burdock can fuck right off though.

stonkers

Am I right that you can still get the full sugar versions of eg. Irn Bru outside the UK? I actually don't the reduced version tastes all that different. Lucozade on the other hand is noticeably worse and I don't think the full sugar version exists anywhere now. Don't start me on what they've done to Barr Cola.

Magnum Valentino

Irn Bru is still available with full sugar IN the UK. They call it 1912 or something like that, and I think it's only in large glass bottles. Marketed as being an old recipe. It's ace.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: stonkers on August 31, 2021, 02:41:03 PM
Am I right that you can still get the full sugar versions of eg. Irn Bru outside the UK? I actually don't the reduced version tastes all that different. Lucozade on the other hand is noticeably worse and I don't think the full sugar version exists anywhere now. Don't start me on what they've done to Barr Cola.

They sell stuff using the '1901' recipe in glass bottles in the UK as Irn Bru 1901. I think it may have even more sugar than normal Irn Bru did before the sugar tax though.

I've never bothered to do a side-by-side comparison of Irn Bru before and after they adjusted it, however I don't seem to be able to notice the sickliness I usually get off sweetners in it, like I can with some other stuff.

Jumblegraws

Any other root beer fans out there? Bundaberg's is shit but Ben Shaw's do a decent one.

Energy drinks wise, Spar's Blue Bear brand has a superior flavour to Red Bull. Much more sharp and refreshing.

stonkers

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 31, 2021, 02:46:31 PM
Irn Bru is still available with full sugar IN the UK. They call it 1912 or something like that, and I think it's only in large glass bottles. Marketed as being an old recipe. It's ace.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 31, 2021, 02:51:44 PM
They sell stuff using the '1901' recipe in glass bottles in the UK as Irn Bru 1901. I think it may have even more sugar than normal Irn Bru did before the sugar tax though.

As it happens I bought a bottle of that just yesterday. It's not exactly the same as old Irn Bru but yeah, slightly higher sugar content - 11g/100ml vs 10.3g/100ml.

I drink a can of Aldi Vive Orange Zero Sugar most lunchtimes. On the can it says it's made with real fruit, but doesn't specify which fruit exactly. I'm guessing rambutan.

Kankurette

Quote from: Jockice on August 31, 2021, 10:12:50 AM
I bought a four-pack of apple Lucozade yesterday, while refuelling the car and picking up a couple pf items of shopping. This is a first for me. I love the normal flavour and the pink lemonade. The orange I'm not too mad about but it's drinkable. I doubt if I'll ever try the cherry, Brazilian or Caribbean flavours (not my sort of thing at all), have had the watermelon and strawberry type once (very nice but doesn't seem to be on sale in many places) and I've never even seen the citrus chill or raspberry ripple ones. Haven't had the apple yet (it's still in the car) but I'll report back. If you want,

Apart from that I'm a big Irn-Bru fan. Needless to say being Scottish and all that. When I first moved to England they didn't sell it here. I was absolutely bereft. And Ting grapefruit juice. My fridge also contains some Ka fruit punch and pineapple flavours. They're okay for an occasional change. And Blue Spark energy drink. That I sip while I'm at my desk. Contrary to what my sister - who calls them 'cans of death' - seems to think, I rarely drink even a full can a day.

Pepsi is far better than Coke. I will probably never buy the latter again in my life anyway. Like the Labour Party it's offended me too much. I have a bottle of Pepsi Max in the car for stops at the moment. And I had a can of Lemon Fanta that had been in there for ages when I went to a birthday picnic at the weekend. There's also a can of San Pellegrino in there. Not sure what flavour though. I also like Orangina, although it's not as good as I remember it from my first trip to France on a school trip when I was 12.

Ginger beer, Dr Pepper and dandelion and burdock can fuck right off though.
My Scottish dad loved Irn Bru. He used to sing the Irn Bru song to us when we were babies. Unfortunately, my English genes have taken over and I hate the stuff, but my brother loves it. He had Irn Bru scones when we were in Edinburgh. Coke > Pepsi though.

I've not tried Ka but I should do, I can get it here as my local grocery does Jamaican food. There are also these fizzy fruit drinks in glass bottles called Calypso, they're expensive but nice. I think they're from the USA.

Btw did anyone have a Sodastream as a child? I always wanted one but apparently the drinks weren't very nice. Captain Dean and His Sodastream Team, anyone?

Dex Sawash

Jumblegraws

We had a Sodastream but I never liked it much, I was, however, dazzled by the variety of flavour syrups you could get, which I would drink neat.

Fr.Bigley

I want to carbonate everything with a Sodastream, gravy, custard, shite. You name it.