Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:11:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fizzy drinks

Started by itsfredtitmus, August 29, 2021, 12:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 31, 2021, 03:49:28 PM
We had a Sodastream but I never liked it much, I was, however, dazzled by the variety of flavour syrups you could get, which I would drink neat.

I never drank the syrups neat, but god yeah - I pestered my parents for literally YEARS for a sodastream and they finally caved.  And...yeah, well, "never liked it much" is quite the understatement for me after that initial rush of excitement followed by that first taste and immediately checking I made it right.  I think that thing got used once or twice more before being "gifted" on.  It was a proper Sodastream one as well, not one of the cheapo knock-offs.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on August 31, 2021, 03:19:52 PM
My Scottish dad loved Irn Bru. He used to sing the Irn Bru song to us when we were babies. Unfortunately, my English genes have taken over and I hate the stuff, but my brother loves it. He had Irn Bru scones when we were in Edinburgh. Coke > Pepsi though.

I've not tried Ka but I should do, I can get it here as my local grocery does Jamaican food. There are also these fizzy fruit drinks in glass bottles called Calypso, they're expensive but nice. I think they're from the USA.

Btw did anyone have a Sodastream as a child? I always wanted one but apparently the drinks weren't very nice. Captain Dean and His Sodastream Team, anyone?

A couple of English people I know have complained that the new Irn-Bru isn't as good as the old variety but frankly I can't really tell the difference. And I have much more experience of the stuff than them. As I said when I moved to England you couldn't get it here so my folks would bring back a few bottles when we went on family visits. During which I'd drink as much as physically possible, with the occasional bit of the very obscure Sanja Cola, which I've never seen outside my home town.

I get my Ka from Tesco. I don't drink it often but sometimes I just fancy a bit of a change. Ting is bloody gorgeous though.

I did have a sodastream, but not as a child. I think I must have mentioned it at some point though, as my mum got me one for Christmas when I was in my 20s. Tried it a few times, wasn't particularly satisfied with the results and think I left it there when I left home. The idea's better than the outcome.

And I've always preferred Pepsi but my girlfriend worked for Coca Cola (as a sales rep. Yes, she was a coke dealer!!!!) until they sacked her earlier this year because of health problems that meant she couldn't drive much or lift things. They offered her redeployment then pulled a fast one and booted her out, so I'm boycotting it from now on.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jumblegraws on August 31, 2021, 02:52:50 PM
Any other root beer fans out there? Bundaberg's is shit but Ben Shaw's do a decent one.

Root beer fan here; yep the Bundaberg one is too sweet; I had some other stuff from Saino's American aisle that was nice but in can't remember the name name.  Anyway yes root beer is ace; like drinking a tube of Germolene

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Had one of those craft sodas from the billy bollocks infantiles taking on Big Pop at a thoroughly woke and greyhound-facing café in a pretty well-preserved arcade in Huddersfield, and tbf it was 'fine'.

paruses

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 31, 2021, 08:11:44 PM
greyhound-facing café

What does this mean? Sorry - have stared at it for 10 minutes trying to work it out. Are greyhounds hipster dogs now?

Also - love Quatro. Might get a can tomorrow.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: paruses on August 31, 2021, 08:36:18 PM
What does this mean? Sorry - have stared at it for 10 minutes trying to work it out. Are greyhounds hipster dogs now?

Sit down mate. Bit of bad news.

beanheadmcginty

Never understood why the fizzy drink makers' response to the sugar tax was to change their  recipes and thus alienate their entire customer base rather than just putting a few pence on the price of a can and laying all the blame on the government.

Replies From View

refreshers eat them with mouth

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 01, 2021, 07:12:25 PM
Never understood why the fizzy drink makers' response to the sugar tax was to change their  recipes and thus alienate their entire customer base rather than just putting a few pence on the price of a can and laying all the blame on the government.

Because they wanted to make their drinks more cheaply using high-fructose fructose syrup and stuff

Replies From View

Quote from: paruses on August 31, 2021, 08:36:18 PM

Every cafe faces a greyhound anyway, so the term is highly redundant.

amateur

Quote from: Jockice on August 31, 2021, 05:26:58 PMI get my Ka from Tesco. I don't drink it often but sometimes I just fancy a bit of a change. Ting is bloody gorgeous though.

Ting is superb, mainly because it contains an eye-watering amount of sugar. Strictly a special occasion drink for me though god knows I'd prefer more often.

Got well into Coke Zero in locky D and now actually prefer it to fat Coke. Cheaper too. It actually tastes like Coke as well, unlike Diet Coke which tastes like Diet Coke. There's a formula they don't dare fuck with, preferring to make a load of generally poor fruit versions.

Vanilla Coke Zero is very nice though.

H-O-W-L

Anyone ever carbonated Sarson's Vinegar with a SodaStream? Do mail in if you have.

H-O-W-L

Proud to serve Sarson's off the tip of a razorblade. Crack cocaine for yer fish and scampi.

Jittlebags

Get busy with the fizzy. So said an advert from the 70s.

Custard

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 29, 2021, 01:41:42 PM
7up makes me burp

Been drinking a load of 7up Free lately, as it always seems to be on offer at Morrisons

It's like drinking lemony floor cleaner. Revolting and delicious

Dex Sawash

Going to try this today, it is free at my favorite gas (petrol) station. Going to be bad isn't it.

Jockice

I really dislike cherry-flavoured drinks, but like real cherries. I like tomatoes too but hate the juice. Not that it's fizzy though.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Jockice on September 03, 2021, 01:00:44 PM
I like tomatoes too but hate the juice. Not that it's fizzy though.

Could be fizzy for only 29.99....sodastream your way to happiness with sodastream, getting busy wit fizzy for over a generation. Sodastream.

robhug

Tell any of these so called genzeders that 20 years ago the only drinks anyone drank were fizzy and people would look down their nose at you if you drank water, they might have something of a hard time believing it.

Dex Sawash

Coke with coffee; not as horrible as I imagined. $2.50 for a can can fuck right off though.

Utter Shit

I will go to my grave convinced that Cherry Coke is the best fizzy pop, and Cherry Coke and brandy is the best overall drink. When I'm in charge every pub in the UK will be legally obliged to have Cherry Coke on tap.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Jockice on September 03, 2021, 01:00:44 PM
I really dislike cherry-flavoured drinks, but like real cherries. I like tomatoes too but hate the juice. Not that it's fizzy though.

Cherry is REALLY difficult to pull off in soft drink form without making it taste a bit like medicine.  Cherry Coca-Cola gets it bang on (in my opinion), probably because cherry is merely the background flavour note.  Lidl used to do a very tasty cherry fizz in their Deluxe range, but that was a sour morello cherry drink so it had a good tang, and had no artificial sweeteners in it.  I've not seen it in there since a few christmases ago.

Jasha

Coke really do ring every last drop of sales out of coke with all the silly sub flavours. Dandelion & burdock[nb] especially from the pop delivery lorry[/nb] or Top Deck for those that need to grow up.

amateur

Had fizzy Ribena yesterday, 3/10 would not recommend

The Mollusk

Chalk me up as another huge fan of root beer. That wintergreen flavour is more prevalent in America (great to have a pack of wintergreen lifesavers in your pocket when you need a hit) but the cans you can get in American supermarket aisles here deffo scratch the itch.

It's basically the same flavour as Euthymol toothpaste isn't it? I'd brush with that shit five times a day tbh but it doesn't provide the gum protection I require from Big Paste as a direct result of all the root beer I'm drinking.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 03, 2021, 04:55:27 PM
Coke with coffee; not as horrible as I imagined. $2.50 for a can can fuck right off though.

I worked with a couple of spanish dudes a couple of decades back and they were mixing there own in pint glasses as a pick me up in the mornings. Couldn't get into it myself but it was an effective blunt instrument.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on August 31, 2021, 10:12:50 AM
I bought a four-pack of apple Lucozade yesterday, while refuelling the car and picking up a couple pf items of shopping. This is a first for me. I love the normal flavour and the pink lemonade. The orange I'm not too mad about but it's drinkable. I doubt if I'll ever try the cherry, Brazilian or Caribbean flavours (not my sort of thing at all), have had the watermelon and strawberry type once (very nice but doesn't seem to be on sale in many places) and I've never even seen the citrus chill or raspberry ripple ones. Haven't had the apple yet (it's still in the car) but I'll report back. If you want,

I know you've all been waiting for this and I can only apologise for the delay but I finally cracked open a bottle of the apple flavour Lucozade last night - and it gets the thumbs-up from me. It's really nice.

It was a big risk for me because although I like apples I don't like cider (or apple pie come to think of it) so it could have gone either way. But for once my instincts and impulses were right. Phew!

steveh

Start stockpiling your fizzy drinks as two plants that make it have closed down due to price of gas so there's a big CO2 shortage.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/beer-and-fizzy-drink-supplies-at-risk-from-co2-shortages

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 03, 2021, 04:55:27 PM

Lol you have to put up with dollars instead of real currency.

monkfromhavana

I'll tell you what's a good pop. Irn Bru. Has to be very cold though.

I'm not even Scottish.