Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donda Sunday Happy Days (new Kanye West album)

Started by sevendaughters, August 29, 2021, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

DONDA HAS DROPPED.

none more black

ONE HOUR 48 MINUTES?????

Am listening now.

Malcy

Glory isn't on it and neither is the collab with Dre & Snoop. Was really looking forward to hearing both of them in full.

Album credits here - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donda_(album)

Ja'moke

He'll stand on stage with Marilyn Manson but won't swear anymore. Ok Kanye.

sevendaughters

I was interrupted at the halfway point but I liked Off The Grid and thought the rest was reasonable.

chveik

Goldentony

is this what that big pretend halfway house full of rapists and dickheads was all about

chveik

Proactive

Laughably shit. Plenty of talent, all the resources in the world at his fingertips, and this is what he does?

chveik

not surprised since i listened to those listening parties a bit but yeah i don't think i'll ever feel the need to revisit this. it doesn't sound very layered and some of the guest spots are garbage. it's pretty boring really, maybe there's a decent 27 minutes album somewhere in there. manson on a song called "jail"...

peanutbutter

Length is terrifying, if I wait a week he might edit it down some?

Ja'moke

Kanye just posted on Instagram that Universal released the album without his permission.

chveik

Malcy

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 29, 2021, 09:11:24 PM
Kanye just posted on Instagram that Universal released the album without his permission.

He didn't want the album to come out due to one of the tracks not being cleared by a featured artist's manager. Seems they went ahead and done it anyway.

sevendaughters

Why can't he hype the fuck out of a finished/cleared record, it's not like he is anywhere near the cutting edge.

peanutbutter

on the basis of the last month I kinda get the impression what Kanye really wants to do is tour as a DJ for a while testing new shit on crowds and tweaking things on the fly.

Quote from: Malcy on August 29, 2021, 10:41:48 PM
He didn't want the album to come out due to one of the tracks not being cleared by a featured artist's manager. Seems they went ahead and done it anyway.
so he had given the go ahead with a caveat and they decided it was better to go asap than deal with him inevitably delaying it another few months?

Ja'moke

There's surely no way that is meant to be the finished album. There is half of an already released Pop Smoke track on there that makes no sense at all.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Malcy on August 29, 2021, 10:41:48 PM

That featured artist being DaBaby. The album's release was being further held up by Kanye's loyalty to that dickhead.

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 30, 2021, 01:48:34 AM
There's surely no way that is meant to be the finished album. There is half of an already released Pop Smoke track on there that makes no sense at all.

It's just a sort of reprise, isn't it? But yeah I'm not entirely sure why it's there. Maybe just a little nod to him.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 30, 2021, 01:48:34 AM
There is half of an already released Pop Smoke track on there that makes no sense at all.
Sure didn't he basically put Panda by Desiigner on TLOP?

Oz Oz Alice

Yeah, featuring an already released track by someone else on his album or even an interlude he isn't on at all is entirely in-keeping with Kanye's whole ethos. I've found the roll-out of this album absolutely fascinating, and perversely its made Kanye more relatable to me than ever because if I was as rich as he was I could see myself having a manic episode where I keep living in football stadiums recording an album, wandering about with tights over my head and dressed like Pinhead from Hellraiser. Not so much featuring horrendous people like Marilyn Manson and Chris Brown though - with the fuss over DaBaby's idiotic outburst where he lived up to his name people seem to be ignoring that Chris Brown is on this too and not just is Brown a fucking horrible person but the most replaceable man in music. There are thousands of people who sound just like that generic 00s R&B droid and who haven't beaten the shit out of a 17 year old in public and then gone on to whine about the ensuing backlash against them. With Buju Banton popping up on the record as well it seems Kanye is exclusively collaborating with shitty people. Former forum member Jonathan King should get in touch with him to see if Ye fancies doing Everyone's Gone To The Moon 2021.

Regarding the album itself, I really like it because it is the most Kanye album Kanye has made to date. There're gripes I have between these versions and the listening party versions, like replacing Kid Cudi with a meme from three years ago (which is in itself an admirable act of hubris) and cutting Pusha T's back and forth on one song and thus losing what was one of my favourite lines from the album ("Was a hero til Katrina then the levee went dry").

On the other hand, Jesus Lord (to me Kanye's Junior Dad) is already up there for me in terms of his best tracks. Alongside Saint Pablo and Gorgeous one of the best verses of his career, doing the Kanye thing only he can do: jumping from a line as trite and eye-roll worthy as "So I'm reaching for the sky like Buzz Lightyear" to the stark grief of "If I pray to Christ will he bring my mother back tonight, and if I die tonight will I see her in the afterlife" in a matter of seconds and verbally upper-cutting me in the throat as he does so. Jay Electronica's verse is great as well and the closing speech from Larry Hoover Jnr is incredibly moving. Sonically the album sounds to me like some kind of fusion of 808s and Yeezus, which are my two favourite Kanye albums so that suits me down to the ground: the constant presence of church organs and choral vocals rubbing into nasty synth bass and some of the most hyperactive drum programming he's put on record is just my thing.

I've had relationships shorter than this album though, I will say that.

Harpo Speaks

Not had time for a proper listen yet, but really like Jesus Lord and Jail of the tracks I've heard so far.

sevendaughters

well it's a marathon listen probably designed to game Spotify's algorithm and it will probably change between now and the next time I listen to it, if I ever do listen to it again in full, but I have to say it wasn't a bad record. Even at the length nothing sucks, but maybe nothing is outstanding either. I'm not really a fan of the man's discography, and certainly don't know enough to say 'this thing came out by this person or used to have this person guesting on it' - I'm a music man first and foremost, the details come later - but I'd say it was my favourite since MBDTF. I'm also glad the Jesus stuff from 2 years ago wasn't just a pose, he seems fairly committed to it now.

sevendaughters

I've just gone back to the article that made me take seriously the idea of taking Kanye seriously, and it's still very good, and what is more it was written by Lou Reed:

Quote"New Slaves" has that line "Y'all throwin' contracts at me/You know that niggas can't read."  Wow, wow, wow.  That is an amazing thing to put in a lyric.  That's a serious accusation in the middle of this rant at other people: an accusation of himself.  As if he's some piece of shit from the street who doesn't know nothing.  Yeah, right — your mom was a college English professor.

He starts off cool on that track but he winds up yelling at the top of his voice.  I think he maybe had a couple of great lines already written for this song but then when he recorded the vocal, but then he just let loose with it and trusted his instincts.  Because I can't imagine actually writing down most of these lines.  But that's just me.

https://www.talkhouse.com/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/

13 schoolyards

It's been interesting reading some of the US reviews of this - a lot of them seem to be basically reviewing his public persona (and the failings thereof), to the extent that engaging with the actual album seems almost beside the point.

To me it has a bunch of strong tracks and is - as Oz Oz Alice said - the most "Kanye" Kanye album since TLOP, but whereas five years ago Kayne was generally seen as an interesting musical artist worthy of examination whatever his personal failings, now he's an garbage person and therefore everything he makes is garbage.

The Mollusk

I feel too exhausted by all this to even bother wanting to listen to it. Just exhausted by Kanye, whole thing is such a boring messy process I can't be bothered trying to invest myself in the music at any sort of level that is removed from all the bollocks surrounding it. Can't be arsed with the bloke any more.

chveik

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 31, 2021, 12:46:37 PM
I've just gone back to the article that made me take seriously the idea of taking Kanye seriously, and it's still very good, and what is more it was written by Lou Reed:

https://www.talkhouse.com/lou-reed-of-the-velvet-underground-talks-kanye-wests-yeezus/

thanks that's great.

sevendaughters

I can't be bothered making a new thread for the Drake album, and I haven't even heard it, but as the two men were briefly intertwined via the medium of beef I thought I should observe that his new album is 90 minutes long. What the fuck is going on?

mr. logic

He has some direct shots at Kanye on the latest in his AM/PM series. A good song- he can actually rap and should try it more often- on an otherwise dull album consisting of treacle and autotune.

chveik

Scorpion was 90 min long too, i heard it's about gamifying spotify or some shit

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like some of these 20 minute rap/rnb "mixtape" albums (or EP's as we used to call them). Fuck the filler or holding back good stuff.

peanutbutter

Quote from: chveik on September 03, 2021, 05:05:15 PM
Scorpion was 90 min long too, i heard it's about gamifying spotify or some shit
Chris Brown has done a few that are over 2 hours long too. It's an easy way to ensure your albums chart I think.
In Drake's case I believe he has some record number of number 1 albums so it's purely about maintaining that massively to the detriment of his albums (he made 2-3 really good albums earlier in his career).

In Kanye's case it just makes sense for him to have at least one ludicrously bloated album, much less sure considerations wrt Spotify would've come into the equation.