Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cryptozoo (2021)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 29, 2021, 03:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Dash Shaw's follow up to My Entire High School Sinking Into the Sea, this is visually much more appealing, with it set in a world where mythological creatures like unicorns and gorgons do exist, with the latter having to tranquilise her snakes to live a vaguely normal life. Meanwhile Joan (Grace Zabriske) has set up a zoo which she hopes will see them integrated in to and accepted by society, and Lauren (Lake Bell) travels the world trying to and save them from cunty types who want to use them as bio-weapons. Dialogue wise this is sometimes a bit clunky and the plot rarely surprises, but the animation was stunning and constantly inventive and that was more than enough to keep me happily entertained. 7.9/10

zomgmouse

I quite liked this, haven't seen his previous one but there was a lot of beautiful imagination on display here.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 30, 2021, 12:40:31 AM
I quite liked this, haven't seen his previous one but there was a lot of beautiful imagination on display here.

I feel he would benefit by having a co-writer as while I like the ideas he has and the way he executes them, the dialogue does let them down slightly. My Entire High School... is far simpler animation wise too, but it has a quite unique feel and I was pretty fond of it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 30, 2021, 01:37:02 PM
I feel he would benefit by having a co-writer as while I like the ideas he has and the way he executes them, the dialogue does let them down slightly. My Entire High School... is far simpler animation wise too, but it has a quite unique feel and I was pretty fond of it.

Yes I see what you mean - although maybe due to the slightly psychedelic nature of this I thought the dialogue being a little off kind of fit.

Mister Six

Delighted to see Grace Zabriskie is still going. I thought she was one of the many Twin Peaks cast members who snuffed it during or after filming The Return, for some reason.