Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stan Lee's Hair

Started by Dr Rock, August 29, 2021, 04:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Pauline Walnuts

That's one of his superpowers

Indomitable Spirit

The fact he has a completely different face is more notable for me personally.

bgmnts

He was bitten by a radioactive Burton Reynolds.

Blue Jam

letsgobrian

Jack Kirby demonstrates the transformation in Mister Miracle.

FredNurke

Quote from: bgmnts on August 29, 2021, 07:13:29 PM
He was bitten by a radioactive Burton Reynolds.

I presume at some point I'm going to stop laughing at this, but it hasn't happened yet.

Shaky

Probably swiped a colleague's wig and moustache while he was pinching their work.

Blue Jam

Anyone else keep reading the thread title as "Stewart Lee's hair"? It's driving me mad.

Funcrusher

I heard an interview recently with a Marvel writer who started there as an office boy and one of his first jobs was to go and pick up and discreetly deliver Stan Lee's toupee.

PlanktonSideburns

Gotta admit it'sa great toup

Dr Rock

It is, he looks fantastic. Second part of the mystery, here he is in Mallrats (1995) rocking a solid, slicked back look he'd been sporting since the early 80s. Wig? No apparently it's a 'Fleming-Myer flap' where skin that grows hair is removed and put in the bits where there's no growth

One giveaway of this procedure is a fine white line along the hairline - Stan had one of these.

However this technique wasn't available until about the year 2000 - so how did Stan seemingly have one in the mid-90s and possibly before? Access to top-secret LA pioneers? Stallone and Trump are also believed to have had Fleming-Myer flaps.

Or maybe the Mallrats Stan is just wearing a good wig?

Magnum Valentino

Yeah, makes sense for a movie production they'd have access to good wigs and prosthetics.

The Culture Bunker

I did like how for the last 30-odd years of his life he had hair that didn't appear to grow, but I found it more weird he married (and remained so for 70 years) a lass from Newcastle.

buzby

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 01, 2021, 01:56:48 PM
However this technique wasn't available until about the year 2000 - so how did Stan seemingly have one in the mid-90s and possibly before? Access to top-secret LA pioneers? Stallone and Trump are also believed to have had Fleming-Myer flaps.
Late 70s/early 80s are when the Juri Flap and it's derivatives such as that developed by Fleming and Meyer came to prominence as scalp reduction techniques (the Juri Flap procedure dates back to 1969 when it was first performed by Jose and Carlos Juri). There's a research paper published in 1979 from a surgeon describing two years of using the Juri Flap method.

rack and peanut

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 01, 2021, 03:48:42 PM
I did like how for the last 30-odd years of his life he had hair that didn't appear to grow, but I found it more weird he married (and remained so for 70 years) a lass from Newcastle.

Howay-Woman?

Dr Rock

Quote from: buzby on September 01, 2021, 04:13:50 PM
Late 70s/early 80s are when the Juri Flap and it's derivatives such as that developed by Fleming and Meyer came to prominence as scalp reduction techniques (the Juri Flap procedure dates back to 1969 when it was first performed by Jose and Carlos Juri). There's a research paper published in 1979 from a surgeon describing two years of using the Juri Flap method.

Thanks Buzby! That's that mystery solved. Is there anything you don't know?

PlanktonSideburns

Feel like a good toup should be more respected than a surgical procedure

jamiefairlie

Quote from: buzby on September 01, 2021, 04:13:50 PM

Juri Flap, 23 appearances for Finland, 2 goals. 1974 -1979.

Video Game Fan 2000

imagining some marvel comics artist slowly losing his barnet follicle by follicle as new hairs appear on stan's head

"these were mine i came up with them myself forsooth"

Paul Calf

bigfatheart

He was never actually bald in the first place, Vince Colletta just erased all his hair to save time.

Butchers Blind

Always amazed by those fellas who have been bald/balding for some time then have the brassneck to just rock up the next day with a full head of fake hair like nothing's unusual. Example, Bruce Forsyth in the 80's.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 21, 2023, 01:53:55 PMAlways amazed by those fellas who have been bald/balding for some time then have the brassneck to just rock up the next day with a full head of fake hair like nothing's unusual. Example, Bruce Forsyth in the 80's.
Robin Gibb was my favourite example of this. I remember the Bee Gees promoting some mid/late 90s bit of pap ('Alone', I think) and his hairline had finally caught up to that of his twin. Skip forward a few years, and he had a full mop back on.

Butchers Blind

Paul Daniels, another one in the 80's who thought he could just turn up on TV the next week with hat hair and no-one would notice.

Dr Rock

I think it's perfectly acceptable.

ZoyzaSorris

Love it in when you catch a post text but not the name whilst scrolling on phone and you just know immediately before you look it's buzby. Of course he has an detailed knowledge of obscure hair graft procedures 

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: bigfatheart on March 21, 2023, 01:52:22 PMHe was never actually bald in the first place, Vince Colletta just erased all his hair to save time.

Excellent post.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on March 21, 2023, 01:53:55 PMAlways amazed by those fellas who have been bald/balding for some time then have the brassneck to just rock up the next day with a full head of fake hair like nothing's unusual. Example, Bruce Forsyth in the 80's.

FAKE NEWS. Brucie properly introduced his rug on an episode of Play Your Cards Right: