Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Reassessment of Ween's "La Cucaracha"

Started by Greg Torso, August 29, 2021, 09:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: PaulTMA on September 19, 2021, 12:37:38 AM
It's really sad regardless.  Something is up.  Would never begrudge a band reforming to make money (like some others do), but if they can't face making new music together when it was all they used to do then that is something of a tradge

Then again, they have such an extensive and consistently great body of work that they're able to do three-night engagements (about 8-9 hours in total) without repeating a song. It may be better to quit while they're ahead if they don't have anything urgent to do with the project, nothing wrong with that. I wish, for instance, that Faith No More hadn't felt compelled to make that album just to give them some new stuff to perform.

Noodle Lizard

The Vegas shows were all pro-shot and are being uploaded here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCimkw-qDGOT8FnTGl914KsA

I was there for Saturday and Sunday night. The band were predictably great. The audience was very annoying on the Saturday night but, as with any hallucinogenic trip[nb]my point is that a good quarter of the audience is likely to be off their tits on something or other[/nb], I've found that Ween audiences can be an especially mixed bag. Mix in Vegas with that and, well ...

It's amazing they played three nights, over a hundred great songs, and still missed out on some classics like LMLYP or What Deaner Was Talking About. Really speaks to the sheer quality of their discography. Highlights for me were I Don't Want It where Gener nailed the solo, Fluffy towards the end of the last night, bringing out Cornbread Red and I Was Nothing and a couple of other deep cuts I'd never heard.

I know they're unlikely to play Booze Me Up & Get Me High again any time soon, but I'd love to see that one live for myself.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 06, 2021, 11:19:05 PM
I know they're unlikely to play Booze Me Up & Get Me High again any time soon, but I'd love to see that one live for myself.

They played this the last time I saw them (Dublin in 2008) and I roared myself hoarse.

Sounds like an amazing weekend and I am very envious. Cheers for the link!

The Mollusk

Really glad you had a great weekend Noodz! "Fluffy" is one of their best extended live jams, did they drag it out to epic proportions this time around?

It really galls me that they never professionally shot or even recorded the reunion shows in 2016. Such a huge event for the band and so many of their shows have either been officially recorded or bootlegged in decent quality but the only recordings of those shows are mediocre at best. Sometimes I just look at the set list and sigh wistfully.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 07, 2021, 09:21:44 AM
Really glad you had a great weekend Noodz! "Fluffy" is one of their best extended live jams, did they drag it out to epic proportions this time around?

Naturally! Each time I see it live, I think it's the best one, though realistically it's very difficult to beat the one on the Live In Toronto recording.

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 07, 2021, 09:21:44 AMIt really galls me that they never professionally shot or even recorded the reunion shows in 2016. Such a huge event for the band and so many of their shows have either been officially recorded or bootlegged in decent quality but the only recordings of those shows are mediocre at best. Sometimes I just look at the set list and sigh wistfully.

There was a decent bootleg for those shows floating around (I'm sure I still have it somewhere), but I agree. At least these Vegas shows were pretty well immortalised, even if some of the vision-mixing is questionable.

By the way, I don't think you can't see clearly on the videos, but they had ASL interpreters on the side-stage for each of the shows. Apparently they've had them at every show this year. I'm not quite sure how that came about, but it's certainly surreal to see them try and sign something like Piss Up A Rope or Mushroom Festival In Hell! They had one (a blonde woman) who seemed especially into the music, even air-guitared a lot of the solos!