Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Infantile Language 2021

Started by Retinend, August 30, 2021, 08:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

https://youtu.be/b_KFgFnLHUw

Ohhh, it's a chilled coffee, from Starbucks.

It's chilled as in "cold", not "relaxed".

It's not cold because you left in it your mug to go cold cold.

No no no no.

This is full-throttle chill, with intent.

It's cold because we made it cold.

Deliciously cold, actually.

You're welcome.

Butchers Blind

seepage

SpiderChrist

Cheeky cunts, calling that filth they serve up "coffee"

thenoise

Typical British shit, cracking jokes all the time even though they have no sense of humour.

buttgammon

I'm watching the Paralympics and wondering when 'medal' became a verb. Is this a 2012 FBPE thing?

Edit: looked it up in the OED and they had examples from the 1860s. I didn't expect that.

Quote from: buttgammon on August 30, 2021, 09:29:06 AM
I'm watching the Paralympics and wondering when 'medal' became a verb. Is this a 2012 FBPE thing?

Edit: looked it up in the OED and they had examples from the 1860s. I didn't expect that.

I definitely remember it from old episodes of Scooby Doo, although I guess that was an adjective derived from the verb.

touchingcloth

What does it mean as a verb? To shove a medal up your arse, specifically, as Ian Rock would say, sideways?

E.g. "Sorry, I am disinclined to go for a jog today, for I have just thrice medalled and my anus is like a bouncy castle's filling pipe."

buttgammon

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 30, 2021, 10:23:53 AM
What does it mean as a verb? To shove a medal up your arse, specifically, as Ian Rock would say, sideways?

E.g. "Sorry, I am disinclined to go for a jog today, for I have just thrice medalled and my anus is like a bouncy castle's filling pipe."

That's the exact quote the OED uses, funnily enough.

touchingcloth

idunnosomename

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58407316

JoJo Maman Bebe is raising prices for the first time in about five years due to widespread supply chain issues.

The baby clothing and goods retailer said it had seen shipping costs quadruple in recent months.

A fucking shop, called fucking JoJo Maman Bebe? Where the fuck is it? Fucking Schitt's fucking Creek?

robhug

Is there also an example for 'Podiumed'

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 01, 2021, 01:23:12 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58407316

A fucking shop, called fucking JoJo Maman Bebe? Where the fuck is it? Fucking Schitt's fucking Creek?

seen them in brighton and stoke newington (of course)

buttgammon

Quote from: robhug on September 01, 2021, 01:29:31 PM
Is there also an example for 'Podiumed'

Perhaps surprisingly, yes! There's one from 1948 that seems to be an isolated use in the context of delivering a speech from a podium but there are sporting examples from as early as 1992. The OED's examples often come from a little bit after the earliest actual uses, so I imagine it's been around since at least the 80s.

robhug

Quote from: buttgammon on September 01, 2021, 01:45:27 PM
Perhaps surprisingly, yes! There's one from 1948 that seems to be an isolated use in the context of delivering a speech from a podium but there are sporting examples from as early as 1992. The OED's examples often come from a little bit after the earliest actual uses, so I imagine it's been around since at least the 80s.

do these all originate in America? I cant imagine them emanating from here

buttgammon

Quote from: robhug on September 01, 2021, 04:10:11 PM
do these all originate in America? I cant imagine them emanating from here

Quite possibly, but the earliest sports one they use is taken from the Sydney Morning Herald, so it could be an Aussie thing too.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Retinend on August 30, 2021, 08:59:58 AM
Ohhh, it's a chilled coffee, from Starbucks.

'Cold brew' coffee is a thing that's been slowly gaining traction for some time now, fairly extensive article here from 2017:
https://www.northstarroast.com/cold-brew-coffee/

I gave it a go out of curiosity one summer, by letting it infuse in a cafetiere in my fridge for a while, tasted like shit.

Ok, assumed I'd fucked it up/used wrong beans, bought a posh one from the coffee hut near work. Tasted like shit.

If you want a coffee cold get a Frappé, I don't generally have a sweet tooth but it's fucking great.

MikeP

All nouns can legitimately be verbalised. Heard it from a professor of linguistics sprouting forth on the beauty of the american english language. Dunno about 'languaged' though...

MikeP

Quote from: MikeP on September 06, 2021, 03:39:54 AM
Dunno about 'languaged' though...

Just looked it up

Is Languaged a word?
adjective. 1Skilled in a language or languages; (also occasionally) versed in the language of a particular discipline.

Hey ho

touchingcloth

The BBC have titled the link to an article about a missing person as "Hunt on for missing US 'van ' life' woman"

Shades of Littlejohn, there.

Icehaven

It's not language but I'm getting sick of that fucking heart shape people keep making with their hands, it's everywhere from NHS posters to sports stuff to my work's intranet homepage. Dunno if it's supposed to mean/be in support of something specific but it's bloody annoying.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on September 16, 2021, 02:30:27 PM
It's not language but I'm getting sick of that fucking heart shape people keep making with their hands, it's everywhere from NHS posters to sports stuff to my work's intranet homepage. Dunno if it's supposed to mean/be in support of something specific but it's bloody annoying.

I don't know how far back that goes, but the first time I saw it it was being done by JPop people circa 2003/4.

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 16, 2021, 02:57:43 PM
I don't know how far back that goes, but the first time I saw it it was being done by JPop people circa 2003/4.

Oh yeah it's been around for ever but it's definitely turning up as a "thing" at the moment.

touchingcloth

MikeP

Quote from: icehaven on September 16, 2021, 02:30:27 PM
that fucking heart shape people keep making with their hands, it's everywhere

Well damn, I thought it was a hand signal for a vagina.
That explains a lot...

falafel

Quote from: MikeP on September 06, 2021, 03:39:54 AM
All nouns can legitimately be verbalised. Heard it from a professor of linguistics sprouting forth on the beauty of the american english language. Dunno about 'languaged' though...

Verbed

gilbertharding

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on August 30, 2021, 09:47:11 AM
I definitely remember it from old episodes of Scooby Doo, although I guess that was an adjective derived from the verb.

I don't know if you're joking, but just in case: that's 'meddle'. Different word, and it's already a verb.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: icehaven on September 16, 2021, 04:07:15 PM
Oh yeah it's been around for ever but it's definitely turning up as a "thing" at the moment.

wait are you talking about the tiny hearts with thumb and index finger or two hands together?