Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Schmigadoon!

Started by Small Man Big Horse, August 30, 2021, 09:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Previously on CookdAndBombd:

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 08, 2021, 06:57:33 PM
Have you seen Schmigadoon? Might be one for the musicals thread in CC or PB if there was one.
Just ok I reckon.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 08, 2021, 08:21:10 PM
Not yet though I downloaded the first two episodes to watch a while back but haven't got round to it yet, I definitely will sooner rather than later, though your response seems to chime with the reviews I've read.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 18, 2021, 12:07:38 PM
Watched the E6 of Schmig last night, very poor. Just stop at E5 if you do watch.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 18, 2021, 04:54:28 PM
That's disappointing to hear, I've still not watched it and might not bother now.

Quote from: olliebean on August 18, 2021, 04:56:10 PM
Apparently they'd originally planned for 8 episodes, but were forced to cut it down due to coronavirus. Which explains why I felt while watching the last episode that bits of the character's journeys had been skipped, and the resolutions weren't fully earned. I guess we ought to make allowances, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing. Perhaps season 2, if they get one, will have a more satisfying conclusion.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 21, 2021, 10:38:10 AM
Well I watched the first episode last night and loved it, the songs were superb and I love the set up, it's just my cup of tea. Which makes the fact that it ends poorly even more disappointing, but I'm going to stick with it as I was so won over by the first episode and as long as the songs continue to be fun that'll be more than enough for me.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 21, 2021, 11:04:54 AM
One of the rhymes in E3 or 4 is
Spoiler alert
miscegenation
[close]
which is probably a bit wrong but I laughed a lot

And now:

Perhaps it's because I went in with low expectations but I really liked it. Sure, it felt a bit rushed, and it was sickly sweet, but I don't know, I'm just a sucker for this sort of nonsense and it had me grinning no end. I'm not sure there's any need for a second season though, I don't know where else that you could take these characters given the end point, I wouldn't be averse to it but if they don't renew it (and there's been no news either way yet) I wouldn't be upset.

madhair60

i'm not watching a programme called "schmigadoon!". what am i fucking five?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on August 30, 2021, 11:10:20 PM
i'm not watching a programme called "schmigadoon!". what am i fucking five?

Ah, another hilarious, insightful Madhair60 comment that adds so much to the discussion. Thanks for that.

madhair60

letsgobrian

Given they've specified in interviews the first season is a 1940s musical, I'm guessing future seasons will be based on other decade's musical trends.

The question then is do they continue the narrative or take a Miracle Workers approach and start fresh with each season?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: letsgobrian on August 31, 2021, 10:56:53 AM
Given they've specified in interviews the first season is a 1940s musical, I'm guessing future seasons will be based on other decade's musical trends.

The question then is do they continue the narrative or take a Miracle Workers approach and start fresh with each season?

I'd go for starting a fresh each season, but I like the idea of taking on a different decade each season, I'm not sure how different a fifties set musical would be, as a couple of songs felt very fifties already, with Kristin Chenoweth's "Strife and Tribulation" echoing Ya Got Trouble" from The Music Man, but after that they could have a quite different feel.

dead-ced-dead

I enjoyed it, but as others have said I wasn't keen on the final episode. Things didn't so much resolve as just stop, with characters switching positions just to have an ending.

I'm looking forward to the next season and seeing what type of musical they parody next.

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 31, 2021, 11:35:47 AM
I'd go for starting a fresh each season, but I like the idea of taking on a different decade each season, I'm not sure how different a fifties set musical would be, as a couple of songs felt very fifties already, with Kristin Chenoweth's "Strife and Tribulation" echoing Ya Got Trouble" from The Music Man, but after that they could have a quite different feel.

The final song leapt straight into the late 60s in musical style, with the implication being that's where the newly progressive town was now, so going back to the 50s for season 2 would seem somewhat regressive.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on August 31, 2021, 01:30:49 PM
The final song leapt straight into the late 60s in musical style, with the implication being that's where the newly progressive town was now, so going back to the 50s for season 2 would seem somewhat regressive.

That's a good point, and if it does come back a sixties set could be interesting, especially if the design of the town was altered to reflect it as well. According to this interview Josh and Melissa would be in it too, so that confirms it won't be an anthology style affair: https://decider.com/2021/08/13/schmigadoon-season-2-plans/