Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:40:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Schools urged to prepare for food shortages by wholesalers

Started by Fambo Number Mive, August 31, 2021, 01:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

From the Grocer magazine. Most of the media seem to be ignoring this story.

QuoteSchools have been warned to prepare for food shortages ahead of the new school year and urged by wholesalers to "stock up".

The warning comes as the HGV driver crisis intensifies, with food and drink shortages now being seen at some of the country's biggest food chains, McDonald's and Nando's in the last two weeks.

The new school term will see additional demand put on suppliers and wholesalers, many of which have been struggling to distribute food and drink.

"Whilst we will take all measures to ensure that we deliver to customers, the same cannot be said for suppliers getting the product into our depots," one wholesale CEO told The Grocer.

"What is more frustrating is the lack of communication from some suppliers, which exacerbates the situation."

...The Federation of Wholesale Distributors said its members had been encouraging schools to "stock up early where possible", warning that September will be "an incredibly challenging month" as schools and workplaces re-open.

The trade body added that as its members prioritise school fulfilment it is likely to spark further disruption to food and drink supplies for local shops, pubs and independent restaurants

FWD is continuing to call on the government to look again at introducing a temporary visa scheme to allow HGV drivers from the EU to fill vacancies and relieve the pressure.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/wholesalers/schools-told-to-prepare-for-food-shortages/659227.article

All this bullshit inflicted on the country by a small group of Tory grifters and their supporters, a load of fuckwits who dismissed any opinions different to them as "Project Fear" and would rather continue to support the idiots who brought about Brexit rather than admit they were wrong.

No doubt Crafty Wank and the rest of the right wing grifters will be spinning against this while the government hope the dead alpaca dominates the news enough for people to ignore this story.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I am reduced to hoping this actually happens, and the wheels come off. I don't want people to go without or undergo hardship but effectively millions are anyway under the arbitrary regime of the UK govt. Perhaps a period where most of us feel it will focus some minds. Although there's still a risk people will react in the worst possible ways.

Sad to have to come to this.

Still, mine's a pint.

touchingcloth

Why doesn't Marcus Rashford get off his arse and into a lorry, the useless lunchbox prick.

Sebastian Cobb

Did any of you see the reporting of the Mc'D's shake shortage btw, felt like ITV were really struggling to make a panic of it:
https://twitter.com/decentpatter/status/1430277125089730561

lipsink

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 31, 2021, 01:39:36 PM
I am reduced to hoping this actually happens, and the wheels come off. I don't want people to go without or undergo hardship but effectively millions are anyway under the arbitrary regime of the UK govt. Perhaps a period where most of us feel it will focus some minds. Although there's still a risk people will react in the worst possible ways.

Never underestimate the Tory ghouls and the media's ability to spin it so it'll be all due to Covid. Or the Woke Left.

Fambo Number Mive

They'll probably talk a load of bullshit about the food production and haulage industries being full of "FBPE hippies" and their newspapers will pump it out onto the public. Or they'll blame the parents for not driving the lorries themselves. "Government can't solve all your problems. Why don't you take the initiative and drive the meals to your school's canteen yourself? What's that, you need to work? Operate on four hours of sleep like Margaret Thatcher and do the drive before you leave for work."

pigamus

It's the EU giving us a punishment beating, that's a good one.

jobotic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 31, 2021, 03:55:12 PM
They'll probably talk a load of bullshit about the food production and haulage industries being full of "FBPE hippies" and their newspapers will pump it out onto the public. Or they'll blame the parents for not driving the lorries themselves. "Government can't solve all your problems. Why don't you take the initiative and drive the meals to your school's canteen yourself? What's that, you need to work? Operate on four hours of sleep like Margaret Thatcher and do the drive before you leave for work."

It's already parent's fault that there's Covid in schools

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-wave-schools-reopen-mass-testing-gavin-williamson-b1911202.html?fbclid=IwAR3Gge81RLdePgXNOhCOdGu6ZRqPvDQ8sJJddptR3taHLJuAMpeJtM1d0yo

Fambo Number Mive

I agree with him that parents should be making sure their children are tested regularly but it's interesting how he doesn't mention the role of the education secretary to make sure schools are as Covid-safe as possible, which Williamson doesn't seem to have done.  As it is I agree that he is trying to make parents look like they are responsible for his failings.

Tbf it is funny how you lot were all marching for a second referendum throughout 2019, but as soon as Labour lost horrifically you all became born again Brexiteers, blaming Starmer and his second ref policy for the election loss, never mind that you all marched for that exact policy just a few months prior. But, as always here on Cooked and Bombed - Corbyn good, Starmer baaaaaad.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The good news is that if there are food shortages there can be no more of these blasted product recalls.

Butchers Blind

Fambo Number Mive

How long until some kind of Soylent Green appears on the shelves?

JamesTC

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 02, 2021, 12:53:56 PM
How long until some kind of Soylent Green appears on the shelves?

Not enough workers at the abattoir to process human meat. Yet another consequence of Brexit.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JamesTC on September 02, 2021, 12:56:18 PM
Not enough workers at the abattoir to process human meat. Yet another consequence of Brexit.

It's the veterinary staff rather than the slaughterers which are the bottleneck. Not enough of them are familiar with gammon biology.