Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:54:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apples (2020) - latest instalment in the 'Greek Weird-Wave'

Started by Sebastian Cobb, August 31, 2021, 03:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I think that's right anyway, the official release date in Greece was that but I think it only got shown in the UK this year and is currently showing on Mubi.

Another part of the 'Greek Weird-Wave' its a directorial debut from Christos Nikou, who was an assistant director on Dogtooth.

It's about a pandemic of memory loss sweeping the nation and how these people are put through a programme that gives them a new identity and a series of tasks to build up their experiences, which they have to capture on Polariod and put in a book.

Anyone else seen this? I thought it was good, I quite like the slightly surreal but stilted routine instructions you see in some of these Greek films where you're not sure anyone knows why they're acting them out. I guess Dogtooth and The Lobster had similar things to different extents.

This one seemed a bit more stylised and definitely had a different feel to it. It was also a bit more personal and melancholy I think. Well worth a watch. Any recommendations for similar stuff to explore would be welcomed.

Review here:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/may/09/apples-review-christos-nikou-amnesia-pandemic-global-memory-loss

Small Man Big Horse

Sounds intriguing, I've just found it on the pirate bay (but under the Greek title "Mila") and I'm fond of the other movies that you mention so will definitely give it a shot soon.

mjwilson

This was the first film I saw after cinemas re-opened last time. I remember enjoying it, but any more profound thoughts than that which I might have had have been lost to time.

zomgmouse

Found it a bit slight myself, the gentlest of tugs at a core theme and style. Some affecting moments but it was all spread far too thin to be particularly effective.