Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:10:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Loot Boxes WTF?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, September 01, 2021, 10:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: bgmnts on September 02, 2021, 02:36:47 PM
Presumably you could apply this to literally any collectible?

Things that exist for no other reason than to be collected? Sure.

Spiteface

Funko Pops are fucking awful, though.

I'd rather have things that at least look like the thing they're supposed to be.

Funko Pops just look like different-coloured Funko Pops.

Butchers Blind

Stop saying Funko Pops. I have no idea what Funko Pops are. What are Funko Pops?
I feel old.

touchingcloth

I picked up a great one of these recently, it contained a grenade, an assault rifle, a Humvee and the contact details of someone called "Sayyid Interpreter".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 02, 2021, 02:53:38 PM
Stop saying Funko Pops. I have no idea what Funko Pops are. What are Funko Pops?
I feel old.

They're quite like Jazzy Lollies, but a little more predictable.

JamesTC

When you look up "shit for cunts" in the dictionary, you see a picture of a Funko Pop next to it.

JesusAndYourBush

They've been around for ages, I remember watching an unboxing video on youtube 5-10 years ago where a guy was trying to look enthusiastic and failing, while unveiling a load of tat that looked like it'd been scavenged from Games Workshop's bins.  Things like a Batman t-shirt, a packet of Magic The Gathering stickers and a plastic figurine of some superhero.

And talking of Batman, does anyone remember the Batman bags (circa 1980) that was like a lucky bag but the contents were known beforehand, not random.  You got a mask, a badge, probably some other stuff I can't remember, and the piece de resistance was a Batman fountain pen with a REAL GOLD NIB!

ProvanFan

Don't push me, push a Funko Pop.

Paul Calf

To tatty plastic dollies that cost energy to manufacture and will end up in landfill? Sure.

Pranet

Like some of you this bought back memories of lucky bags for me. I remember my mum saying (I paraphrase slightly) they are shit don't spend your money on them.

I bought one and it was shit she was right. But I learned an important lesson that day.

I remember Loot boxes being hawked on some podcast or other, years back I remember whatever podcaster it was couldn't make them sound good.

We really as a species make too much pointless shit.

touchingcloth

I've got a great business idea if anyone fancies investing in it. Customers will pay £100 for a burial spot, but they don't know which specific one they will be getting - it could be a paupers' pit in Peckham, or it could be a massive mausoleum in Mumbai.

Loot Graves.

Quote from: Pranet on September 02, 2021, 06:05:35 PM
I remember Loot boxes being hawked on some podcast or other, years back I remember whatever podcaster it was couldn't make them sound good.

Oh, now I remember when these were being pushed on every podcast. I think it was even worse: a subscription thing. https://lootcrate.com/collections/all

Video Game Fan 2000

Several shops in town in on a very expensive street that catered for hipsters, with record collector and vintage clothing boutiques, about 10 years ago now have had their windows full of Funkos and Rick and Morty shirts for the past five years and are only recently starting to drop off. floor to ceiling displays with maybe a copy of Hunky Dory somewhere to remind you its a place adults are supposed to shop

There are other collectables too but mostly Funko. Almost entirely American brands, mostly expanded universe stuff, not much Korean or weeb shit. If I went in asking for Dragon Quest shit they'd probably THROW ME IN JAIL

its pretty extraordinary to consider the change it represents. 30 something guys middle class 10 years ago wanting PiL tour shirts and ESG reissues and vintage sneakers if they were really $$$ now coming out with armfuls of Assassins Creed action figures that look like something the devil made to torment Pete Fowler

imitationleather

I got an ad on Facebook the other day for a football shirt loot box subscription. So for you get sent a new football shirt every four weeks for just £35/month. But the loot box element means you don't get to pick the team or what it looks like.

Just... Why would anyone want to do that? "Oh great, another Arsenal shirt. Just what I need as a Spurs fan."

I know people collect football shirts from around the world, but usually those guys pick them specifically for rareness or because they particularly like the design. The surprise element just does not work with football shirts, especially since £35 isn't exactly cheap for something where there's a very high probability it will be shit.

Video Game Fan 2000

high quality razors sent right to your door... you could slit your wife's throat!

Pranet

Quote from: Steve Lampkins on September 02, 2021, 06:17:39 PM
Oh, now I remember when these were being pushed on every podcast. I think it was even worse: a subscription thing. https://lootcrate.com/collections/all

That was it. From only £20 a month have delivered to your door some unrecyclable shit you don't want.

idunnosomename

They're like old ladies' precious moment figurines

Imagine sorting this shit out when these people die in a few decades

badaids

Beggars Banquet Records used to do a "bag o'shite" for £10. Half a dozen vinyl records taped up in a black bin liner, all the old toss they felt they couldn't shift. I only picked up a few because it didn't have a Bluetones record in - which is how much of a cock I was back then. But looking back from today I actually got some wicked records for including some great dub that you'd never find in the wild today. I was too dumb to know at the time.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 02, 2021, 07:23:14 PM

Assuming <> £10 per figurine, there's over £400 been spent on plastic tat in this picture.

£400.

I can fully understand the appeal of 'lifelike' keepsakes, having loved my Barney Gumble and a talking-and-light-up Death Row Marv writhing in his little electric chair on top of my CRT monitor at work 20 years ago, but Funko Poops? Mate. £400 there, careful now.

Captain Z

On the ebay link further up the page some lunatic reckons his collection of 47 figurines is worth £1100.

Video Game Fan 2000

Can't find the video where the guy has a secret door in his bedroom and he enters his funko room through arch way of boxed funko pops, and in the middle is a sterile little tv and console set up where he can play videogames surrounded by pops

Replies From View

If they are shit you shouldn't be collecting them.

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 02, 2021, 04:05:06 PM
They've been around for ages, I remember watching an unboxing video on youtube 5-10 years ago...

I'll stop you there

Video Game Fan 2000

*Posted from my collector den of ceiling to floor Urbanomic first editions and NFT display monitors

Replies From View

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 02, 2021, 08:35:01 PM
Can't find the video where the guy has a secret door in his bedroom and he enters his funko room through arch way of boxed funko pops, and in the middle is a sterile little tv and console set up where he can play videogames surrounded by pops

fuck's sake

badaids

I have been saving and archiving my turds for the last 30 years, arranging them alphabetically by the celebrity they most resemble.  I can let you have the lost for 11 grand. 

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I play Facebook games like a filthy casual and every so often I get ads for CLOSING DOWN SALE MASSIVE UNSOLD STOCK BUY A HUGE MYSTERY BOX FULL OF AMAZING EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS ONLY A FEW LEFT

yeah mate you'd buy one of them and it'd be heaps of earbuds and chargers for phones they don't make any more