Author Topic: 15 Storeys High  (Read 6448 times)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• Muscular and compact, like corned beef.
Re: 15 Storeys High
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2021, 09:39:41 PM »
Errol's face after he wakes up surrounded by cactises.

buttgammon

• No chicken or poultry in the flat
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2021, 12:44:53 AM »
One of my favourite shots is Errol sheepishly walking down the hall with his pockets bulgingly full of wallpaper.

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2021, 08:57:05 AM »
I thought I knew the Blue Rat episode by heart but totally forgot about the pony bloke clinging to Vince's leg and trying to drag him back into his flat!

I thought I knew it by heart as well, but after a rewatch last night, there's loads of bits I'd forgotten. "Handsome Jack the lucky squid" :D Also the part where Vince falls asleep at the pool and everyone starts misbehaving according to the poster of forbidden activities- no bombing, no running, no kissing etc

There's enough plotlines in there to fuel at least three episodes of a lesser sitcom

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2021, 10:16:30 AM »
the way Errol smokes, trying to breathe in all of it

buttgammon

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
I thought I knew it by heart as well, but after a rewatch last night, there's loads of bits I'd forgotten. "Handsome Jack the lucky squid" :D Also the part where Vince falls asleep at the pool and everyone starts misbehaving according to the poster of forbidden activities- no bombing, no running, no kissing etc

There's enough plotlines in there to fuel at least three episodes of a lesser sitcom

Definitely, there's so much brilliantly funny stuff going on in that episode.

I also forgot how well they brought the Errol and Vince strands together in a lot of episodes - for example, the end of the Ice Queen episode with the jacket and Errol's driving lesson. Stuff like that is worthy of Seinfeld at its best.

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »
"That's strange...their cheese is very mild"

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Well, is it safe, like?
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2021, 08:11:04 AM »
I was genuinely happy for Vince when he actually ended up copping off with the Ice Maiden. You'll notice that even though he desperately wants to achieve this aim, he just can't help himself and indulges in very Vince- like behaviour like sarkily reading the Bible to her when they're both trapped in a lift. It's a shame he fucked things up with his purple coat, they would have made a good couple, I reckon.

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2021, 04:27:06 PM »
Any storyline about adults feuding with kids is funny, and anything about baldness is funny, but putting up posters saying Vince is selling a baldness cure is such a perfectly evil piece of revenge. And yet it's totally justified as an escalation of baldness-related abuse earlier in the episode (a lesser comedian might have them shaving Vince's head or putting Veet in his shampoo or something, but no, Sean created some really clever baldness-related pranking).

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
putting up posters saying Vince is selling a baldness cure is ... totally justified as an escalation of baldness-related abuse earlier in the episode
You can tell Vince is self conscious about it as well, as it's the only insult that that really gets a reaction from him. Lock's hairline was frequently referenced on Cats Does Countdown, which also lists Martin Trenaman as a writer.

Angrew Lloyg Wegger

• cast your dance and spill my wee
  • Golden Member
  • I promise to go under it
    • instagram ponce
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2021, 07:54:56 PM »
^ exactly, and Lock is the perfect level of baldness for all the 'baldy' jokes to work. He's got enough hair that it's funny as a ridiculous insult, but just bald enough for it to wind Vince up.

Dirty Boy

• Thou shalt not slaver on thine cadaver
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2021, 08:33:12 PM »
"Listen son, you've got the mane of Samson..."

As someone with a receeding hairline i don't find baldy jokes funny anymore. Any time i hear kids shout slaphead i instinctively turn around, even though i've got more hair than the average CABber.
I was genuinely happy for Vince when he actually ended up copping off with the Ice Maiden. You'll notice that even though he desperately wants to achieve this aim, he just can't help himself and indulges in very Vince- like behaviour like sarkily reading the Bible to her when they're both trapped in a lift. It's a shame he fucked things up with his purple coat, they would have made a good couple, I reckon.
I don't think the coat was what fucked it up. Judging by her face when she leaps out of bed on hearing his voice it wasn't to be anyway.

buttgammon

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2021, 08:41:31 PM »
I love the bit with the kids insulting him for his supposed baldness (and calling him a bitch and a slapper), it’s something I can never tire of.

Something just reminded me of ‘Mr Burton no here’.

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2021, 11:38:36 PM »
Martin Trenaman nails both his appearances.

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2021, 12:16:47 AM »
So much so that there are three of them.

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2021, 12:36:43 AM »
So much so that there are three of them.

Exactly!

forgot the stocks

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2021, 12:41:35 AM »
You should be pilloried for that mistake (and then immediately let out, because you need to go toilet).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Well, is it safe, like?
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2021, 06:13:30 AM »
Oh, Dr. Greggles! You've made a laughing stock(s) of yourself!

PlanktonSideburns

• encoded by an oaf
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2021, 10:25:00 PM »
Just watched the first episode with my partner, first time seeing it for her

It’s so flipping good isn’t it? Looks great, instantly likeable characters, brilliant passing characters, taxi sofa lady is so great. Benedict Wong is the absolute perfect foil to lock’s character, really elavates it. The bit were he fucks off to Buckingham palace in the middle of the mayhem is beautiful

Cab watch along anyone?

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2021, 10:30:01 PM »
MAXINE WE GOT A PERVERT IN 'ERE

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2021, 09:05:52 AM »
"'Ello Mum, it's Errol...the Chinese one..."

petrilTanaka

• Are we counting shites?
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »
I do love how that's (I think) the only time Errol's ethnicity ever comes up

Butchers Blind

• Who blons a dumb de now?
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
"...I'm not going to get this job, so let's have some fun with it."

buttgammon

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2021, 01:06:14 PM »
"Don't answer that: it could be Jim Davidson. Urgh, you don't want him coming round, do you?"

Angrew Lloyg Wegger

• cast your dance and spill my wee
  • Golden Member
  • I promise to go under it
    • instagram ponce
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2021, 06:32:15 PM »
I love some of the little background jokes too, like Errol making a house out of the box for his trainers, or Vince crushing all the bags of crisps before putting them in the vending machine at work.

PlanktonSideburns

• encoded by an oaf
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »
Episode 2

This show is so good at taking something potentially grubby and laddish, Vince and his grot Mags, and subverting it in a weird, relatable way. The cut back to Errol, looking satisfied having painted the bathroom, is such a lovely touch.

pigamus

• Sex, death, mayonnaise.
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2021, 10:43:09 PM »
I love the bit with the kids insulting him for his supposed baldness (and calling him a bitch and a slapper), it’s something I can never tire of.

Something just reminded me of ‘Mr Burton no here’.

Think I already said this but the baldy bit was the original trailer, and that’s why I started watching it. I think it probably went out as a double bill with something else, but I can’t remember now.

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2021, 06:53:36 AM »
I remember the first 15 Storeys High clip I saw must’ve been from some kind of BBC promo segment on a magazine/news show. It was the bit where Vince is revealed to have had a tantrum at his pastie and pizza.

Tags: