News:

And wear a fucking mask please


15 Storeys High

Started by who cares, September 02, 2021, 09:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

who cares

This probably has at least one thread, but why not a new one? I'm going to rewatch the whole thing soon with my wife, who hasn't seen it. Maybe do spoilers in case people are watching for the first time.

I don't know how many times I've watched Blue Rat... maybe 10? It became a go-to if I was feeling down. It's my favourite episode, with Pool Kids a close second. There's whole puffin chunks of dialogue I could recite.

I often want to repeat lines from the show- ie, can't hear the word 'Lisbon' without wanting to say in a gruff Northern tone, "it's the capital city o' Portugal".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Started rewatching this week.

The pre-revelations Jim'll Fix It thing at the end of Ep1 just about held up but only due to the Wombles doing the molesting.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: who cares on September 02, 2021, 09:42:03 AM
This probably has at least one thread, but why not a new one? I'm going to rewatch the whole thing soon with my wife, who hasn't seen it. Maybe do spoilers in case people are watching for the first time.

I don't know how many times I've watched Blue Rat... maybe 10? It became a go-to if I was feeling down. It's my favourite episode, with Pool Kids a close second. There's whole puffin chunks of dialogue I could recite.

I often want to repeat lines from the show- ie, can't hear the word 'Lisbon' without wanting to say in a gruff Northern tone, "it's the capital city o' Portugal".

"The Boavista Hotel, wi' its legendary facilities."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Vince and Errol are great lead characters, but I think the real masterstroke of the show was the scope the setting gave for side characters. It's like a hybrid of sitcom and sketch show. The League of Gentlemen is the only thing I can think of (off the top of my head) doing something similar.

"I warned you once, I warned you twice, I warned you trice!
That's the last time you'll swing that whistle, you big, swinging, whistley wanker."

buttgammon

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 02, 2021, 09:45:04 AM
Started rewatching this week.

The pre-revelations Jim'll Fix It thing at the end of Ep1 just about held up but only due to the Wombles doing the molesting.

I forgot about this and panicked when he mentioned Jim'll Fix It, but it did add a serious sense of menace to the Wombles' deeds.

The Mollusk

Favourite tiny little bit of this whole show is in Blue Rat when Vince observes a flat in the opposite block where there's a bunch of people dancing about wearing motorcycle helmets. It's incredible. The way the camera comes into focus on the scene, the couple of seconds' duration that it's onscreen, the total lack of context, the silence of viewing it from afar and having no idea if they're even listening to music or what. It's really Chris Morris-esque and I think more than any other minor sketch in the show it succeeds greatly in establishing an entire world out of very little. I think about it a lot more often than is probably normal.

zomgmouse


neveragain

My favourite bit isn't very clever but the pure frustration of Vince's "Do you know what... Bollocks!" to the nurse in the lift has stuck with me.

Lemming

Every episode is ace but The Holiday is the standout. "Is this a... typical Finn Airways scam? I buy a ticket, make me tear it up in front of no witnesses? This'll all be gone tomorrow, just a few hotdog wrappers blowing about?"

Magnum Valentino


buttgammon

It was mentioned in the Sean Lock thread, but the bit where Vince drinks the extremely hot soup from the flask is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 02, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
Vince and Errol are great lead characters, but I think the real masterstroke of the show was the scope the setting gave for side characters. It's like a hybrid of sitcom and sketch show. The League of Gentlemen is the only thing I can think of (off the top of my head) doing something similar.

"I warned you once, I warned you twice, I warned you trice!
That's the last time you'll swing that whistle, you big, swinging, whistley wanker."
,

Yeah they aren't so much sketches as scribbles, impressions, vignettes. They never outstay their welcome and often leave you wanting more

turnstyle

'I don't like this game - Britney's dead and I've got to get off with a duck.'

Been rewatching this over the last few days. Still as brilliant as I remember it being.

The Crumb

Absolutely love Errol's terrible airport story and his concluding '... Fog?'

Also 'Those the jeans? That the arse?'

The Mollusk

"I just don't think people should be naked in their living rooms. That's where you have Christmas."

turnstyle

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 03, 2021, 01:09:17 PM
"I just don't think people should be naked in their living rooms. That's where you have Christmas."

There's a lovely call back to that later in the episode too when Errol calls him Mum.

From the same episode: 'Is there a thing such as two litres?'

Poobum

I'd forgotten how wonderful Paul Putner is in a bath. Also loved Errol instantly needing to toilet after being put in the stocks.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Vince summed up in one line:

"Some nosy bastard phoned them up. It wasn't you, was it?"
"No. I hate the RSPCA."

Vince vs. the pool kids:

"I'll get my dad on you!"
"You haven't got a dad."
"Yes I have."
"Not at home."

Fr.Bigley

"JESUS CHRIST"............."JESUS CHRIST"......"BE THERE IN A MINUTE BRIAN........JESUS CHRIST"


Fr.Bigley

Quote from: The Crumb on September 03, 2021, 10:38:21 AM



Also 'Those the jeans? That the arse?'

"TWENTY......no......Fourty...Rothmans"

Fr.Bigley

My favourite bit is when they go get the pigeon lady her shit back and vince is making the small talk with the old lad in the hall, it's classic Sean, the banality of it all..

"How old are you?"
"71"
"When did you husband die?"
"1997"
"How many grandkids have you got?"
"Seven"
What was the hardest thing to get in the war"
"Bananas"

"Right that's enough smalltalk"

*skips up the stairs*

Absolutely brilliant.

The Crumb

I've only had sex with 3 women in my life, and IT'S NOT ENOUGH!

neveragain

Always thought that should be the last thing he shouts, rather than second-last.

Sebastian Cobb


Dirty Boy

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 03, 2021, 03:23:43 PM
My favourite bit is when they go get the pigeon lady her shit back and vince is making the small talk with the old lad in the hall, it's classic Sean, the banality of it all..

"How old are you?"
"71"
"When did you husband die?"
"1997"
"How many grandkids have you got?"
"Seven"
What was the hardest thing to get in the war"
"Bananas"

"Right that's enough smalltalk"

*skips up the stairs*

Absolutely brilliant.
She didn't need this? *holds up glass eye*
It's still wet.
It's probably condensation
*licks* No, tears
Urgh

Dirty Boy

"Actually, there is one thing you could do... dye your roots, you look like a badger!"

Vince shitting on the one person being nice to him over the dead swan escapade.

pigamus

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 03, 2021, 03:19:25 PM
"JESUS CHRIST"............."JESUS CHRIST"......"BE THERE IN A MINUTE BRIAN........JESUS CHRIST"



I still say it like that, and for a while I sort of forgot where I'd got it from - I thought I was doing Frank Butcher or something

icehaven

I'm on the last episode of S1 and have only just clocked he's called Vince Clarke. Is that deliberate?

SteveDave

A few of my favourite bits

"Dear Jimmy Sommerville..."

"From behind, I thought you were Fabio!"

"Derek! It's the fishslice!"

"Boys So Cool! Say it fast it sounds like Bicycle"

"I'll have one big arm for lifting things and one normal one for stroking kittens"

"For sale- Wedding dress. Size 18 Never worn. Bastard."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on September 04, 2021, 07:08:20 PM
I'm on the last episode of S1 and have only just clocked he's called Vince Clarke. Is that deliberate?

Almost certainly I reckon.

I don't know how much Sean is into synth pop but he does mention Bronski Beat when talking about his purple jacket.