Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:53:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

And Away... by Bob Mortimer (funnyman autobiography)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, September 02, 2021, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just finished reading a review copy (ooh, get me) of Bob's book, which is published on 16th September. As you would expect, it's a tremendously satisfying endeavour. I'm afraid I'll have to employ that hoary old critic cliche here: it's funny and touching.

His vivid account of the early days of Big Night Out will be of particular interest to members of this forum, as he goes into quite a lot of detail about his creative partnership with Vic/Jim (whom he clearly adores). He also devotes some time to pretty much every project he's ever been involved with as a professional entertainer. It's all very interesting.

As you would expect, he comes across as a thoroughly agreeable and naturally funny man. A delightful entity. He's self-effacing and unpretentious, yet justifiably proud of his best work (and frankly dismissive of his own perceived failings).

And he can write, obviously. The book is peppered throughout with lovely little turns of phrase. Bob is a born storyteller.

It's a good book. You'll probably enjoy it as much as I did.

Poobum

Skim reading "And Away" along with "Bob Mortimer" scared the shit out of me. Didn't know he'd brought out a book, will purchase.

dr beat

Thanks BoBB that's great to hear, I've been looking forward to this.  One way or another Bob's lived a life.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Poobum on September 02, 2021, 06:34:55 PM
Skim reading "And Away" along with "Bob Mortimer" scared the shit out of me. Didn't know he'd brought out a book, will purchase.

Yikes, sorry about that.

Quote from: dr beat on September 02, 2021, 06:35:11 PM
Thanks BoBB that's great to hear, I've been looking forward to this.  One way or another Bob's lived a life.

An extraordinary life, really. What's he going to do on WILTY? from now on, though? The book contains absurd true stories from his early life that he hasn't told in public before. Hopefully he's held some in reserve.

Brundle-Fly

I imagine he's a bottomless well of anecdotes because he is such an eccentric. It's strange as he seems such a shy man in real life.

trabuch

I'll be falling asleep listening to the audiobook for most of the winter.

shiftwork2

Had multiple audible free trials but now they seem to be offering me three books for 99p.  Done!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 02, 2021, 07:09:32 PM
I imagine he's a bottomless well of anecdotes because he is such an eccentric. It's strange as he seems such a shy man in real life.

Yes, and that comes across in the book. Bob regards Jim as a natural eccentric/genius - and he is - but you sort of get the impression that Bob, while fully aware of how funny his stories are, doesn't quite appreciate just how eccentric he is. Which is lovely. His eccentricity isn't performative*, he seems to regard himself as a rather dull domesticated man, but his mind doesn't operate along standard lines.

* Nor is Jim's, but he lives in his own Jim world.

neveragain

studpuppet

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 09:00:22 PM
His eccentricity isn't performative*, he seems to regard himself as a rather dull domesticated man, but his mind doesn't operate along standard lines.

I loved the story he told once about meeting Jim to write material once a week, and telling his wife it was for two hours longer than they actually met for, so he could have a kip in his car before going home. I mean that's justifiable if you're a lowly-paid wage slave, but when you're a multi-millionaire star of TV with a large country house to go home to, it does seem eccentric.

phantom_power

Imagine if he had never hooked up with Vic and became a lawyer. Not just that it would be a loss to the comedy world but what sort of lawyer would he be

Bob and Buckles are at the Cheltenham Literature Festival on the same day next month and I've applied for tickets to both. I'm sure demand will be high but my (sort of) aunt is a member and they get priority booking so fingers crossed.

dr beat

Yes, and that comes across in the book. Bob regards Jim as a natural eccentric/genius - and he is - but you sort of get the impression that Bob, while fully aware of how funny his stories are, doesn't quite appreciate just how eccentric he is. Which is lovely. His eccentricity isn't performative*, he seems to regard himself as a rather dull domesticated man, but his mind doesn't operate along standard lines.

* Nor is Jim's, but he lives in his own Jim world.

As much as Athletico Mince is such a great platform for Bob's talents, I'm reminded of the little moments where he muses out loud ('thats nice innit Andy').  Or throws in a funny non sequitur, stuff like 'do you ever like to go beyond the scenes Andy'?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 06:29:16 PM
As you would expect, he comes across as a thoroughly agreeable and naturally funny man. A delightful entity. He's self-effacing and unpretentious, yet justifiably proud of his best work (and frankly dismissive of his own perceived failings).

I think I love that he's dismissive of his failings more than I love that he's proud of his work. What a way to live.

It blows my mind that he was a successful solicitor and, apparently, wasn't far off being a professional footballer as well. Two careers that just seem so unsuited to his character.

trabuch

Good old Audible have just thrown two more credits my way. Now to decide what I should do with the other one.

jamiefairlie

There's a Gone Fishing audio book too, I'm going for the double.

turnstyle

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 03, 2021, 05:47:29 PM

Listened to that a while back and thought it was ace, and I actively hate fish. I think they're wet pricks.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: turnstyle on September 03, 2021, 05:53:20 PM
Listened to that a while back and thought it was ace, and I actively hate fish. I think they're wet pricks.

The TV show is prime comfort viewing.

trabuch

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 03, 2021, 05:47:29 PM

I took the bait. I'm very content - this is for me. (Although it was a struggle to get through chapter 1. I felt my heart beating and my bowels failing)

Blue Jam

I got the Gone Fishing book for three quid at The Works :(

Really looking forward to Mr Mortimer's book.

BeardFaceMan

Ooh I just got an email from Audible offering me a free month trial and one free book, so that was nice of them, wunt it, Andy?

jobotic

I'd gone off Gone Fishing a bit, got a bit bored. But this series has been a delight.

Seems slightly hard to picture the wonderful affable old man being the well handsome young comedy genius he once was. Except he still has the genius. So maybe not.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: phantom_power on September 03, 2021, 09:32:06 AM
what sort of lawyer would he be

He was a lawyer, he was the Cockroach King. Got in the newspaper and everything. I wonder what Bob was like before he bumped into Vic. Was he as funny in his personal life or did meeting Vic unlock some dormant comedy facility he had? Did he slip in a few gags in his summing up in court? Did he have a funny observation when he caught his girlfriend in bed with a hells angel, that sort of thing.

checkoutgirl

he seems to regard himself as a rather dull domesticated man, but his mind doesn't operate along standard lines.

I think he can be both and it wouldn't surprise me if he led a fairly humdrum existence in his personal life. The highlight of the day being a couple of hours alone in his car.