Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

And Away... by Bob Mortimer (funnyman autobiography)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, September 02, 2021, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProvanFan

They did it a few times on Shooting Stars anyway, years later.

Mick Johnson as already mentioned
Bob's hernia hotline character
A musical act that I can't remember right now

If we're fully calling them the fuck out then Tony Baron and Dr Shakamoto's accents are a bit dodgy. Might have to burn my audiobook.

BeardFaceMan

Did Matt Lucas do Mr T on Shooting Stars or was that Little Britain?

robhug

bob's blacking up as danny glover sat on the can is a vague memory i have. Alas, age makes me doubt myself and I dont think Id be able to testify in court etc

i wonder if vic and bob live in a bit of fear of some unforgiving twat(s) getting hold of it and kicking up a right stink

phantom_power

I doubt it because if you either show true contrition or don't feel guilty and explain yourself clearly then usually nothing much happens, both things I can imagine them doing depending on how they feel about it now. They probably won't dig their heels in and act like twats which is usually how things escalate

jobotic

No no they're victims of whatever group Autopsy just made up and they need him to defend them from their utter obliteration.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: ProvanFan on September 29, 2021, 04:07:34 PM
Dr Shakamoto's accent...a bit dodgy.

Shakamoto's bio is that he's from Leeds and lived in Japan for two years without bothering to learn any of the language, hence the slips back into Northern.

jobotic

Didn't Tony Baron live in Hong Kong briefly?

I got serious reservations about that

ProvanFan

Terrible men, terrible men, terrible terrible terrible men

bgmnts

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 29, 2021, 07:52:18 PM
Shakamoto's bio is that he's from Leeds and lived in Japan for two years without bothering to learn any of the language, hence the slips back into Northern.

It's a tricky one for me, basicslly you're laughing at a funny accent. It's like in South Park with the City Wok guy, they gave him a backstory about 15 years later that he's actually a guy pretending to be Chinese but i dont know if that's fair enough.

Cold Meat Platter

Vic's Barry White as well. Trudeau levels of blacking up.

Magnum Valentino

If anyone can find the scene Bob describes from Randall and Hopkirk where no-one could keep from laughing at his awful earnest acting, I'd love to see it. Tried a few things there (searching scripts etc) but hoping someone knows JUST where it is.

neveragain

I believe it was cut out. Having just watched the first series, I didn't remember the dialogue he mentioned.

jamiefairlie

From national treasure to pariah in a few pages. It's a microcosm of modern culture.

phantom_power

He was a pretty awful actor back then, unable to convey genuine emotion in any way at all. It all seemed to arch. I think he has improved a lot though and some of the stuff on Athletico Mince is genuinely touching

turnstyle

Was Randall and Hopkirk any good? I remember at the time not being arsed (cigs) about it, even though I was a massive Vic & Bob fan.

Is it worth a watch now?

jobotic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 30, 2021, 03:00:35 AM
From national treasure to pariah in a few pages. It's a microcosm of modern culture.

Except he's not a pariah, we're just discussing things.

phantom_power

Quote from: turnstyle on September 30, 2021, 10:15:54 AM
Was Randall and Hopkirk any good? I remember at the time not being arsed (cigs) about it, even though I was a massive Vic & Bob fan.

Is it worth a watch now?

I watched the first episode the other week and it was just about alright

I keep thinking back on little things about the book that tickled me, like Jarvis Cocker talking like Phil Jones

bgmnts

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 30, 2021, 03:00:35 AM

I think even with some dodgy stuff that's applicable to everyone working from about before 2016, Bob surely has the most goodwill on CaB ever?

willy crossit

Quote from: jobotic on September 29, 2021, 07:59:34 PM
Didn't Tony Baron live in Hong Kong briefly?

Yes, he was taken away by a kind of sailor, he was only seven.

edit: something i've wondered - when he emphatically says he "was not a correspondent over there" - is that the idea that people's familiarity with HK would have been from segments on the news with correspondents calling in from there, so he's used to people automatically assuming that he was in that same line of work? because that is really funny to me if so

Magnum Valentino

Tried finding the scene in BNO where Bob's pissed himself. The Stotts only made three appearances on that show (Magic Show, Generation Game and Film 82) and while none of those has the line they both identify as the cause of the incident (Vic replying that he drives a red/green sports car), which might have been cut for time, Bob can clearly be seen with pissed togs in Film 82. It's right near the end of series 2 episode 8 if anyone is as morbidly fascinated as I am, and is available for free viewing on All4 whose interface is DREADFUL!

Blue Jam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 30, 2021, 06:27:16 PM
Tried finding the scene in BNO where Bob's pissed himself. The Stotts only made three appearances on that show (Magic Show, Generation Game and Film 82) and while none of those has the line they both identify as the cause of the incident (Vic replying that he drives a red/green sports car), which might have been cut for time, Bob can clearly be seen with pissed togs in Film 82. It's right near the end of series 2 episode 8 if anyone is as morbidly fascinated as I am, and is available for free viewing on All4 whose interface is DREADFUL!

Thanks for that, I had been hoping some other dirty old bollocks would hunt down the pissed keks so I didn't have to.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah the length of time between posts made me feel like a real psycho there.

Magnum Valentino

My apologies to all - Bob pissing his trousers occurs about 18 minutes into episode 2 of series 2 round about when Uncle Peter (not that one) comes out and he crosses his legs (based on various accounts of the incident I've read or heard).

Very enjoyable segment riddled with corpsing

Quote from: willy crossit on September 30, 2021, 01:28:23 PM
Yes, he was taken away by a kind of sailor, he was only seven.

edit: something i've wondered - when he emphatically says he "was not a correspondent over there" - is that the idea that people's familiarity with HK would have been from segments on the news with correspondents calling in from there, so he's used to people automatically assuming that he was in that same line of work? because that is really funny to me if so

He went mad for three year in Hong Kong mind.

I.D. Smith

I'm currently still working my way through the book (and enjoying) it, but I've just come to the bit
Spoiler alert
where Bob meets Matt Lucas for the first time after seeing him as part of a comedy showcase. Bob describes introducing himself to Matt, and on the strength of his act, offering him the part of George Dawes for the new show, Shooting Stars, he and Vic were making.

But...Matt Lucas was in Smell Of Series 2 (albeit only in a couple of small roles, but prominent enough that he got to play a 3rd Stott brother) which, although came out the same year as the first series of Shooting Stars (1995), from memory came out first, earlier that year, so surely was filmed and edited before Shooting Stars? So is Bob misremembering things, or was Shooting Stars filmed before and around the filming of Smell Of S2, and just left for broadcast until after Smell Of S2?
[close]

Probably no need for the spoilers above, but just being cautious.

Magnum Valentino

It's entirely possible. Something similar happened with Knowing Me Knowing You, which I think might have been in the can before On The Hour but was broadcast after. Very likely I'm wrong about that.

If Bob has made a mistake on this, as with the Les chives/spirit level mixup, it really does make you wonder if all proofreaders do is correct spelling mistakes.

DrGreggles

The Shooting Stars pilot was in 1993, so there's every chance that a series was commissioned before Smell 2.

turnstyle

Matt Lucas goes into this initial meeting in his book, and I am 99% sure he talks about his first job with Vic and Bob being as Dawes on Shooting Stars, so it does sound right.