Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:00:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

And Away... by Bob Mortimer (funnyman autobiography)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, September 02, 2021, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Quote from: ProvanFan on October 13, 2021, 04:18:53 PMLooking up Peter Brewis who apparently worked on The Smell of, I found myself on this CAB thread and then this archived page of his now dead website. Of course it's fucking .ram files on there.

I have a zip file with a load of mp3s of his stuff that I downloaded from somewhere back in the day, including those three clips from Smell Of, as well as stuff from The Young Ones, Spitting Image, The Tall Guy etc. I could upload it somewhere if there's any interest. Nothing else from any R&M stuff, afaics. I think the mp3s were probably converted from the .ram files on his website, so don't expect great quality.

The Mollusk

I'm about halfway through the audiobook at the moment and it's a strange one, since at this point in his career you'd expect his narration to be as bubbly and vibrant and daft as anything he's done in recent years, most notably Mince since he's reading character stories off a document a lot of the time there as well.

I think what holds him back - and excuse me if this has been said already - is his modesty. He revels in his performative eccentricity and absolutely soars with his own comic creations but he has never not been the most down to earth and unassuming regular bloke outside of that. So with this book you've got the awkward split of someone who's more than happy to share his story with the world but doesn't want to make any sort of big song and dance of it at all. I admire the honesty and humility of that but I can't stop the nagging feeling in the back of my head that wants a bit more spark out of this.

Personally speaking, I'm still enjoying it, since like most people here I think he's the funniest man alive, and he's one of my biggest heroes so hearing his life story is still very much of interest to me, but every time he does an accent for another person or he mentions London and does that follow-up exclamation of a faux-awestruck "London!" I get a leap of excitement in my heart because that's the Bob I want to hear reading the whole thing.

Blinder Data

I listened to the audiobook and quite enjoyed it. I found him talking about his depression, shyness and heart troubles quite moving, and his occasional Athleticoesque voices were a treat. He just seems like a lovely bloke.

My expectations were low to start with because rarely is a showbiz autobiography anything other than quite interesting, so IMO this book is fine.

Perplexicon

Devoured the audiobook of this in a few days. I loved it, having recognised Bob as a kindred spirit bouncing around on TV even when I was 8 years old, so getting some of the backstory told to me by the man himself was quite a delight. It's amazing that at every step of the way during the early Big Night Out evenings, Bob thought Jim absolutely didn't need him and expected to be left behind at any moment. I'd love to hear Jim's side of the story of their comedy relationship forming. Is this covered in his autobiography at all? I'm sure there must have been a moment when Jim realised that Bob could spar with him on his level, and that there was something very special about their dynamic on stage.

Blue Jam

Pink Gregory

someone let the man out, he's clearly in some trouble

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 15, 2021, 08:16:44 PM
someone let the man out, he's clearly in some trouble

Probably just scared of Logan Roy down there.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: poodlefaker on October 13, 2021, 05:08:45 PM
I'm sure he did the brass hand bit in one of his bank adverts in the 90s, but I can't find it on youtube.

Yep, I remember that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Perplexicon on October 15, 2021, 03:00:54 PM
Devoured the audiobook of this in a few days. I loved it, having recognised Bob as a kindred spirit bouncing around on TV even when I was 8 years old, so getting some of the backstory told to me by the man himself was quite a delight. It's amazing that at every step of the way during the early Big Night Out evenings, Bob thought Jim absolutely didn't need him and expected to be left behind at any moment. I'd love to hear Jim's side of the story of their comedy relationship forming. Is this covered in his autobiography at all? I'm sure there must have been a moment when Jim realised that Bob could spar with him on his level, and that there was something very special about their dynamic on stage.

Sadly not as Me:Moir only covers his early, pre-fame years (something I normally dislike, but absolutely loved here and it's a must read book), and due to poor sales we never got a second volume, frustratingly.