Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

And Away... by Bob Mortimer (funnyman autobiography)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, September 02, 2021, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Apparently comedians tend not to be that funny or interesting in their personal lives. Writing comedy and being funny is a different thing. Maybe he is a dullard who knows. Or maybe he is so interesting he thinks now his life is dull who knows.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 06, 2021, 02:46:40 PM
He was a lawyer, he was the Cockroach King. Got in the newspaper and everything. I wonder what Bob was like before he bumped into Vic. Was he as funny in his personal life or did meeting Vic unlock some dormant comedy facility he had? Did he slip in a few gags in his summing up in court? Did he have a funny observation when he caught his girlfriend in bed with a hells angel, that sort of thing.

His Would I Lie To You anecdotes from his early life suggest yes, he was very funny (assuming they are true in any way, although his schoolmate etc. seemed to corroborate stuff ).

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 06, 2021, 02:58:17 PM
His Would I Lie To You anecdotes from his early life suggest yes, he was very funny

I do beg your pardon but we are in your garden.

sevendaughters

profile piece by Caitlin Moran in the Times yesterday archived outside of paywall

https://archive.is/K5fGa

sevendaughters

there's some really funny stuff in that profile that I presume are in the book too, but this set me off.

QuoteWhen it comes to Mortimer's earlier shyness, And Away recounts his many, unsuccessful attempts while single to chat up famous women. I tell him these stories made me quite angry.

"Oh. Why's that, Cate?"

Well, they were brilliant chat-up lines. To Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs, whom he's just watched playing cello onstage: "So when did you start playing the cello, Natalie? Ages back – or just this last week?" On meeting Sinéad O'Connor, whose beauty is "unbelievable", Mortimer's opening gambit is, "So, Sinéad – is there a shop near you?"

jobotic

Moran is unbearable isn't she? Imagine telling a grown up that you don't know well that you are going to hug them because of their sad childhood when they haven't asked you to.

On the other hand she does seem to be a genuine fan.

bgmnts

QuoteIn his spare time, he renames cats in Cat Protection shelters and tweets about them so they can find new owners. Tony Caramel, Ron Paving, Paul Workclothing and Ken Turmoil all have new lives now

YEAHYEAHROCK!

Thank you for posting this. Don't normally have enough of an attention span to read books these days but I am getting this.

I always find it really interesting, and somewhat reassuring, when performers who are so obviously brilliant talk about how much they struggled with a miserable shyness or depression for a good chunk of their adult life.

The people of Middlesbrough shouting affectionately at Bob every so often as he walks around his home town is a beautiful thing, god bless them.

filth gabs

Thanks for the thread and the link to the profile - i just got audible for Partridge from the Oasthouse and will use a credit to pre order this. He really is top. Cheers Bob.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 04:07:09 PM
Tony Caramel

Didn't he say a reporter who showed up to his burning house had the surname Caramel on an episode of WILTY? His stories on that show have a strong thread of truth that he then embellishes freely with odd coincidences and outlandish names to make them sound made up. Cheeky boy.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 06, 2021, 05:07:10 PM
Didn't he say a reporter who showed up to his burning house had the surname Caramel on an episode of WILTY? His stories on that show have a strong thread of truth that he then embellishes freely with odd coincidences and outlandish names to make them sound made up. Cheeky boy.

He did, the reporter was part of a duo alongside Ron Waffle .

Dr Rock

Nothing to add except free audible? DONE 
Pre-ordered it? YES LOVE!
Excited? babababbabababababababababababababbaababababaaba-OOMOWMAMOWbabaOOMOWMAMOW-baba-OOMOWMAMOW

Blue Jam

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 06, 2021, 05:07:10 PM

In House of Fools one of Bob's rivals for the title of Wig Wearer of the Year was named "Ron Caramel".

checkoutgirl

He had a big head, Sniper's Dream they called him.

studpuppet

In his spare time, he renames cats in Cat Protection shelters and tweets about them so they can find new owners. Tony Caramel, Ron Paving, Paul Workclothing and Ken Turmoil all have new lives now

The Tale Of Liquorice Mick

The Culture Bunker

Bob doesn't half look like his dad, judging from the pic in that Times article.

Jittlebags

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 06, 2021, 10:30:37 PM
Bob doesn't half look like his dad, judging from the pic in that Times article.
Aye, I thought that.

zomgmouse

QuoteIn his spare time, he renames cats in Cat Protection shelters and tweets about them so they can find new owners. Tony Caramel, Ron Paving, Paul Workclothing and Ken Turmoil all have new lives now

Wait is the cat thing real?? I always saw him doing the "cat names" tweets but I didn't realise they were (eventually) tied to real cats

studpuppet

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 09, 2021, 06:54:14 AM

Wait is the cat thing real?? I always saw him doing the "cat names" tweets but I didn't realise they were (eventually) tied to real cats

YES

zomgmouse

Twit 2

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 09, 2021, 10:58:51 AM
Good Monson is still my favourite Mortimer name.

There is a road call Monson near to where he lives. I wonder if it was inspiration.

Enzo

Quote from: The Ombudsman on September 09, 2021, 01:04:55 PM
There is a road call Monson near to where he lives. I wonder if it was inspiration.

Always thought it was after the footballer Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Enzo on September 09, 2021, 02:08:30 PM

That's far more likely.

ColinPopshed

Quote from: The Ombudsman on September 09, 2021, 01:04:55 PM

I wondered that too, but then on a Mince (I think) he said it was something to do with the way one of his sons said "Good morning" when they were young. Something like that, I can't remember exactly.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Enzo on September 09, 2021, 02:08:30 PM

Surname literally means "Guðmund's son".

Brother of Björk.

bgmnts

This is great so far. Love some of his Mince voices popping up. It's also great how he will giggle while talking if it's something he finds funny.

Some of his wording is just so genius i'm in awe.

Tony Yeboah

I went to see Bob being interviewed by Charlie Higson in Manchester last night. It was funny.