Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

And Away... by Bob Mortimer (funnyman autobiography)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, September 02, 2021, 06:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

The apocalyptic vision of him and the cascade of charred chicken heads is inspiring, would make a great horror scene.

Made the mistaking of putting the book next to my copy of the Afghanistan Papers, and was really impressed for about a page and a half that he was debriefing all these American generals.   

turnstyle

Finished it.

Lovely stuff Bob, top notch.

The bit at the end about
Spoiler alert
shy folk
[close]
was just beautiful.

chrispmartha

Just finished the Audiobook, it was wonderful and actually quite sad I've finished.

As stated his love for Vic (Jim) really shines through and is really quite lovely. Some fabulous tales.

robhug

that was well worth my free audible credit and maybe even slightly more.

there are plenty of twats in the world, I reckon Bob negates about 10 of them. We just need a few more Bob's to even things out a bit.

phantom_power

He is so fundamentally and unshowily NICE isn't he. The stuff about working for the council and seeing people being failed by the system giving him the push to get his law degree was really nice to hear

studpuppet

Not sure where else to put it, but it seems Bob's been 'in conversation' with McCartney to promote his Lyrics book. Just a teaser, but hopefully more to come (and hopefully more interaction than this).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwsNMYNRdjI

Glebe

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 06, 2021, 03:40:35 PMprofile piece by Caitlin Moran in the Times yesterday archived outside of paywall

https://archive.is/K5fGa

Thanks a lot for that 7D. Kinda surprized to discover just how shy he was.

QuoteIn an early, possibly formative moment, Mortimer recalls a teacher whose chosen method of discipling or encouraging students was with the use of a remote-controlled toy lion "that could either scratch with its front paw or bow its head. If you made a valuable contribution in class, he would place it on your palm and make it deliver a nuzzle with its head. If you messed up, then it would angrily 'strike' you with its paw."

That's absolutely fantastic.

turnstyle

So....what were his deliberately untrue stories in the book then? As WILTY has proved, his true ones are pretty wild, and as such I've totally lost all judgement.

neveragain

Quote from: turnstyle on September 24, 2021, 09:27:03 AM
So....what were his deliberately untrue stories in the book then? As WILTY has proved, his true ones are pretty wild, and as such I've totally lost all judgement.

From the 'life of a solicitor' chapter (entitled Would I Lie To You 2), the story about bringing in a load of new evidence from a shop and winning the case must be false, as all evidence is generally processed before the trial begins.

phantom_power

It isn't clear when he brings the evidence in is it? He could have done that before the trial

turnstyle

Quote from: phantom_power on September 24, 2021, 11:42:20 AM
It isn't clear when he brings the evidence in is it? He could have done that before the trial

I'm sure he says he went down there in his lunch hour? I had presumed this was during the case but I could be wrong.

Also, while I love the audio book (and audio book autobiographies in general), I'm assuming there's a bunch of candid photos of Bob as a young un that we're missing out on by not owning the paperback. To that I say, booooo.

phantom_power

Quote from: turnstyle on September 24, 2021, 12:56:03 PM
I'm sure he says he went down there in his lunch hour? I had presumed this was during the case but I could be wrong.

I thought he just meant in his lunch hour at work while he was compiling the case but could be wrong

holdover

Quote from: turnstyle on September 24, 2021, 09:27:03 AM

The story about the beer barrel tracks in the snow is identical to one Alan Moore tells about his family. So probably that one at least.

wooders1978

I'm listening to the audio book on my commute - it's lovely but I wish he spent more time on how he and Vic first started 
Spoiler alert
"red flag" Jane a curious antihero, for without her there would be no Vic and Bob
[close]

Glebe

wooders1978

Catterick can be found on YouTube btw (bobs favourite piece of work)

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 24, 2021, 09:09:41 PM
Catterick can be found on YouTube btw (bobs favourite piece of work)

I watched the whole thing last night. First time since it was originally shown. The opening 3 minutes of the first episode is fucking incredible, particularly when Chris gets up and leaves his house.

beanheadmcginty

Just got to the bit in the audiobook where Bob mentions Les, but he gets the love/hate of spirit levels and chives the wrong way round. Thank god I got this book free otherwise I would have to demand a refund.

phantom_power

It is incredible how his fame seems almost entirely down to luck, which is not to dismiss how funny and talented he is. So many steps on the way things could have gone a different way. If he hadn't gone to see Big Night Out. If that twat commissioner had got his way. If he had gone to Cambridge. As Bob says himself, you wonder how many amazing talents have been lost to shit commissioners

wooders1978

Quote from: phantom_power on September 25, 2021, 08:46:41 AM
It is incredible how his fame seems almost entirely down to luck, which is not to dismiss how funny and talented he is. So many steps on the way things could have gone a different way. If he hadn't gone to see Big Night Out. If that twat commissioner had got his way. If he had gone to Cambridge. As Bob says himself, you wonder how many amazing talents have been lost to shit commissioners

That was what struck me as well, the sheer amount of unlikely things that happened combined that led him to ultimately meeting Vic is absolutely staggering - talk about butterfly effect

phantom_power

And if he was someone who was trying to get into comedy you could say it would have happened eventually but the fact that he had no thoughts or ambitions in that direction means that if he hadn't gone out that night his genius would probably have been lost forever, or at least confined to his lucky mates

Steven88

Quote from: turnstyle on September 24, 2021, 12:56:03 PM

Also, while I love the audio book (and audio book autobiographies in general), I'm assuming there's a bunch of candid photos of Bob as a young un that we're missing out on by not owning the paperback. To that I say, booooo.
The photos
http://imgur.com/a/S901FWe

Jittlebags

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 25, 2021, 09:25:21 AM
That was what struck me as well, the sheer amount of unlikely things that happened combined that led him to ultimately meeting Vic is absolutely staggering - talk about butterfly effect

Well, you could say that about everything! Glad in this case that it's turned out to be two comedy geniuses bumping into each other.

jamiefairlie

Complete aside, but I was watching The Big Match Revisited and was struck by how much Paul Reaney kept putting me in mind of Bob....

wooders1978

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 25, 2021, 11:58:35 PM
Well, you could say that about everything! Glad in this case that it's turned out to be two comedy geniuses bumping into each other.

That's what I mean though - both are national treasures that only met due to a series of unlikely events, it does feel rather written in the stars

sevendaughters

I know in 60s/70s England Middlesbrough and Darlo are miles away but it seems like two reasonably singular forces could have met earlier in their lives. Maybe Vic was too busy following Stackridge on tour or something.

Autopsy Turvey

Weren't they both at a few of the same concerts before they met? I seem to remember they both saw the same show on Camel's Snow Goose tour.