Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shows Like Opie & Anthony?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 02, 2021, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

This was a show I would constantly hear about, but for some reason, never tuned in. I'm sure it's probably because I only listen to the radio in the car, and the only thing I'll listen to is music.

I've listened to some stuff in the last few weeks on YouTube, especially with comedians I like, and then I'll see some recommended stuff I like.

Anyway, if you have any recommendations, I'm sure we'll all appreciate it... Doesn't have to be radio, and in actuality, I prefer video. Shows that aren't afraid to use their artistic license.

up_the_hampipe

I guess Cumtown, but they're not actual bigots.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

The fewer shows there are like Opie & Anthony, the better. They're an awful pair of eejits. Witless, nasty wankers.

That isn't helping you in your quest, but you did ask.

Noodle Lizard

I'd say Cum Town too, but they don't often get in guests (or none that you're likely to have heard of anyway). Howard Stern is probably the closest you'll find (much as he'd hate to hear that), maybe look for some older Stern clips since it's been a bunch of nothing for the past 10 years or so.

Patrice O'Neal's The Black Philip Show was sort of an offshoot of O&A, and it's incredibly funny sometimes, although it's almost entirely focused on O'Neal's misogynist teachings.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 06:54:38 PM
The fewer shows there are like Opie & Anthony, the better. They're an awful pair of eejits. Witless, nasty wankers.

That isn't helping you in your quest, but you did ask.

That's not totally fair. Both Jim & Anthony were occasionally funny, but unfortunately one is an awful stand-up and the other is a racist who bites young women in anger. Granted, Opie has zero redeeming features.

The show was heralded mainly thanks to the comics who passed through; Louis, Patrice, Burr etc. But for me it peaked with the David and Bobo show. If you have a spare seven and a half hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlqXjW2tCkg

Not sure about The Black Philip Show, wasn't Patrice's finest moments plus Dante Nero is an absolute idiot.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'd rather not listen to people with no redeeming features.

Dickie_Anders

Opie and Anthony were THE American comedy establishment of the last couple of decades, as far as I'm concerned. Seems like all the great recent American stand-ups came through there. And Rich Vos, who for my money was always the true star of the show and responsible for some of the funniest radio ever produced. The actual hosts themselves are total cunts, obviously. But the best parts were comics trashing each other, and Anthony, Opie and Jimmy were thankfully the ones to get it the worst (maybe not Opie because he was a defensive dolt).

I would very much recommend their sister show Ron and Fez. It's very different but hilarious in its own way. And quite disturbing. The period that I listened to were the final years, where the running gag was that one half of the duo, Fez, was there in the studio with a mic in front of him, but due to a wealth of anxieties didn't say anything. So the entire show has this tension to it with Ron and the crew tip-toeing around poor Fez. Honestly some of the most surreal and funny comedy ever

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 08:42:03 PM

One of them did good impressions.

Noodle Lizard

Jim Norton is genuinely funny off-the-cuff (or was anyway), but his stand-up is woeful. It's strange when you find people who are so naturally funny in conversation and made their names as comedians, yet can't seem to channel it into decent stand-up (I'd argue the Cum Boys are in the same boat - Mullen's stand-up is pretty unremarkable, but from the podcast he's one of the quickest-witted people I can think of).

Dr Rock

You might like Two Bears, One Cave (Tom Segura and Bret Kirshtners)

up_the_hampipe

The closest actual thing to O&A is probably Legion of Skanks, to be honest. Although I wouldn't exactly recommend them. Big Jay can be very funny, but it's buried under some real bullshit.

Dog Botherer

the only shock jocks that i've heard anyone whose opinion on comedy/radio i respect say good things about are Ron & Fez and of course Howard Stern.

there are so many incredibly bad US talk radio guys they're basically interchangeable. Bubba The Love Sponge, Don Imus, Tom Leykis, the list basically never ends.

Dickie_Anders

I do like Stern, but re-listening a few years back I noticed a lot of forced laughter over stuff that isn't really that funny. Particularly during what many consider the golden era of the show, the mid-90s when Billy West was still around. Was the Jackie puppet really that funny, all of the time?

Lots of radio shows are guilty of it, but it was just weird noticing it when I hadn't really before. In O&A's best years (I'd say maybe 2006-2011) half the fun was waiting for a comic to bomb and hear them get eviscerated for it. Particularly during that time, the show was a lot less produced and more natural I think than Stern (the early 2000s WNEW stuff was often hacky and way more guilty of fakeness, which they admitted to).

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 02, 2021, 08:42:03 PM

Depends on who the person is. A lot of us on here are prone to hate-watching/listening. Every now and again I'll go down a Bob Grant radio rabbit hole on YouTube (right wing American pundit, not Jack from On The Buses) because he was an absolutely compelling broadcaster. Tom Scharpling took his "Get Off My Phone!" catchphrase from Bob Grant. 

It might be a fallacy but I've heard that there was a survey of Howard Stern listeners and those who liked Stern listened to him about five hours a week but those who didn't like him listened for ten hours a week.

For those who've not heard it, this clip from an old Anthony & Opie show is worth a listen. Jay Mohr laying into Ricky Gervais and Louis C.K: https://youtu.be/KxYDcuYwH6o?t=430 (7m10s)

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 03, 2021, 10:55:16 PM
Depends on who the person is. A lot of us on here are prone to hate-watching/listening. Every now and again I'll go down a Bob Grant radio rabbit hole on YouTube (right wing American pundit, not Jack from On The Buses) because he was an absolutely compelling broadcaster. Tom Scharpling took his "Get Off My Phone!" catchphrase from Bob Grant. 

It might be a fallacy but I've heard that there was a survey of Howard Stern listeners and those who liked Stern listened to him about five hours a week but those who didn't like him listened for ten hours a week.

For those who've not heard it, this clip from an old Anthony & Opie show is worth a listen. Jay Mohr laying into Ricky Gervais and Louis C.K: https://youtu.be/KxYDcuYwH6o?t=430 (7m10s)

You bring up something real important.. Many people sometimes watch people who seem like their opposites out of curiosity.. I'm a left-winger, but I won't avoid a show with a right-winged bias because part of me wants to see how they think, and sometimes they're interesting.

As for O&A, it depends on the guest. I heard a great conversation with Paul Mooney, Patrice O'Neal, Bill Burr, Louis CK.. The conversation about race was better than any other show you'll see on TV, which is corporate approved sanitized unfunny shit. And I don't believe them anyway. Especially those on network TV. You are better off checking out network TV late night talk shows from the 70s, like Dick Cavett. Even he tried to be funny, but he usually came out corny. It might have looked good on paper, but didn't translate well as a monologue. When he was sincere (and avoiding being "cute/funny") and interested, the show was great. I also think he had the best guests by far in American television.

Television now is so lily-white. Everyone is saying the same shit. No real point of view. No humor.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on September 03, 2021, 10:28:32 PM
I do like Stern, but re-listening a few years back I noticed a lot of forced laughter over stuff that isn't really that funny. Particularly during what many consider the golden era of the show, the mid-90s when Billy West was still around. Was the Jackie puppet really that funny, all of the time?

Jackie Martling wrote most of the Jackie puppet lines, and was absolutely notorious for fake-laughing at his own bits. To be fair, this was also a pretty common thing to bash him about on the show.

The early Stern stuff is much harder to listen to, with all the horrendous clapping that they'd do constantly.

MoreauVasz

Didn't they have a subreddit that was shut down for being an insanely vindictive nest of trolls? No idea if they were actual fans or whether the O & A fandom thing was just cover

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: MoreauVasz on September 04, 2021, 11:35:20 PM
Didn't they have a subreddit that was shut down for being an insanely vindictive nest of trolls? No idea if they were actual fans or whether the O & A fandom thing was just cover

Their fanbase was always repugnant, as are a lot of Stern fans and similar shows. Just shows who you can end up with when you flirt too much with ironic bigotry.

Cold Meat Platter

Did you hear Chris Morris on the O and A show? Jesus.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 05, 2021, 01:05:04 AM
Did you hear Chris Morris on the O and A show? Jesus.

As a fan of Bill Burr, it was painful hearing him in that interview. It's two comedy worlds that shouldn't collide.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 05, 2021, 01:14:52 AM
As a fan of Bill Burr, it was painful hearing him in that interview. It's two comedy worlds that shouldn't collide.

yeah Burr vs. Buxton was similar scrotum-tightening stuff.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 03, 2021, 06:12:39 AM
You might like Two Bears, One Cave (Tom Segura and Bret Kirshtners)

I listen to this and have found it quite amusing at times, even though I'm no great fan of eithers standup.

bgmnts

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 05, 2021, 01:14:52 AM

Bill Burr is painful in a lot of interviews to be fair.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 11:05:55 AM
Bill Burr is painful in a lot of interviews to be fair.

He is amusing on JRE, mainly as he seems to have little deference to Joe. Thought he was a proper dickhead on the Theo Von one.

timcooke1982

Don and Mike from 1994-2001 (and June 2002 through the end of 2003) is a much better, more creative, non scummy people show.  1999-2003 is almost all available online.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: timcooke1982 on September 08, 2021, 01:57:48 PM
Don and Mike from 1994-2001 (and June 2002 through the end of 2003) is a much better, more creative, non scummy people show.  1999-2003 is almost all available online.

Is it this site?
https://donandmikewebsite.com/?action=2001

I wish they had the names of who's being interviewed.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: The Ombudsman on September 06, 2021, 11:12:22 AM
He is amusing on JRE, mainly as he seems to have little deference to Joe. Thought he was a proper dickhead on the Theo Von one.
Yes he was. I wondered if something had been said or done before the recording that had pissed him off. He was much better on Herring's podcast not long after that - maybe he was making an extra effort after being criticized for the Theo interview.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 14, 2021, 09:15:42 AM
Yes he was. I wondered if something had been said or done before the recording that had pissed him off. He was much better on Herring's podcast not long after that - maybe he was making an extra effort after being criticized for the Theo interview.

Theo and Ethan (from H3) discussed it I recall as he was on bad form for both their podcasts. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

I get his grumpy persona is a thing that people want, (I find it tiresome) but Theo seems too genuine a person to be such a wanker to.

Edit to include this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RRtSB-hWww