Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Funniest Directors?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 02, 2021, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

John Cassavetes - he probably inherited this from his mother who I think is the funniest woman on the screen.

Vincent Gallo for Buffalo 66' which is probably the most unique and funny movies I have ever seen.

Twit 2

Sebastian Cobb

Altman

I reckon Ken Loach and Mike Leigh are both excellent at adding a dash of humour to bleak stuff, just the perfect amount.

McChesney Duntz

Funniest how? Funniest in their films? Funniest in interviews? Funniest when they appear on camera in their (or someone else's) projects?

chveik

vincent gallo is the antithesis of funny

Shaky

Writer/directors Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker.
Writer/director Terry Gilliam.

Twit 2

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 02, 2021, 11:46:55 PM
Funniest how? Funniest in their films? Funniest in interviews? Funniest when they appear on camera in their (or someone else's) projects?

Yes.

zomgmouse

A lot of the big Eastern European names - Kusturica, Jude, Forman, Chytilová, Švankmajer...

Quote from: chveik on September 03, 2021, 12:02:19 AM
vincent gallo is the antithesis of funny

absolutely

Dusty Substance

Woody Allen has the double distinction of being one of the greatest film directors of all time and one of the greatest all time stand-ups.

Martin Scorsese was pretty, pretty, pretty funny in his episode of Curb.

But Mel Brooks is probably the funniest all time director.

Lost Oliver

phantom_power

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 03, 2021, 12:36:40 AM

But Mel Brooks is probably the funniest all time director.

Yeah I would say him or one of the Reiners

Blue Jam

Gotta be Terry Gilliam. Until he started talking crap about #MeToo of course. Shame.

madhair60

kevin smith of course haha, fuck fat smith, smoke a blunt lol

Blue Jam

Kevin Smith isn't fat anymore. The bear community's loss is his cardiovascular health's gain.

beanheadmcginty

Nick Love is probably the most unintentionally funny, as evidenced in this commentary with Danny Dyer:

https://youtu.be/e5h9ZPBuBEs

C_Larence

tourism

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: C_Larence on September 03, 2021, 01:43:06 PM

Beautiful. (And that reminds me, Scorsese's pretty fucking funny too.)

MortSahlFan

All three if possible. Whatever is funniest, I guess. I love a funny interview, and look more in that direction, only because I don't see much humor in movies.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 03, 2021, 10:46:31 AM
Gotta be Terry Gilliam. Until he started talking crap about #MeToo of course. Shame.

Why is that a shame? "Of Course"? You sound programmed.

zomgmouse

drdad

John Waters.

Funnier than any of his films.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: drdad on September 06, 2021, 08:36:06 AM
John Waters.

Funnier than any of his films.

I agree with this. His films leave me cold, but the man himself is very funny and charming.

sevendaughters

Sebastian Cobb

I just want to smoke weed and loaf about in a dressing gown, and if that means I have to do a bit of bowling every now and then to realise that dream, then I'll do that too.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Lost Oliver on September 03, 2021, 06:58:49 AM
Aki Kaurismäki!

One of the three best living directors (not that he has much competition)

Dusty Substance

Paul Verhoeven often comes across as funny in interviews and on DVD commentaries due to his mad energetic enthusiasm, and the fact that he turned up to collect his Worst Director Razzie for Showgirls is pretty admirable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E7xzEnt2eA

dissolute ocelot

I saw John Milius recently in a documentary from around 2000, bearing a near-exact resemblance to John Goodman in The Big Lebowski. Entertaining guy.

Shane Black is another one who is always good value in interviews, tells a great story, even if his directorial work (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys) is more solidly entertaining than transcendental genius.

GoblinAhFuckScary

been finding some hal hartley REALLY funny lately