Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Funniest Directors?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 02, 2021, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

It's nice to see him cropping up on things like Mubi just now. I get the feeling he wasn't really well known in the UK.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 27, 2021, 04:34:43 PM
It's nice to see him cropping up on things like Mubi just now. I get the feeling he wasn't really well known in the UK.

hartley? no i imagine not. quite taken with him tho and i often find cinema actually difficult to laugh with as a medium. great whipsmart indie in a way i don't find as contrived as someone like linklater (for example). rather have to suspend my internal red flags of older men dating significantly younger women. it's a thing innit

chveik

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 27, 2021, 04:54:54 PM
rather have to suspend my internal red flags of older men dating significantly younger women. it's a thing innit

basically a pre-requisite if you want to enjoy films :(

for funnier i'd say Buñuel & Godard

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 27, 2021, 04:54:54 PM
hartley? no i imagine not. quite taken with him tho and i often find cinema actually difficult to laugh with as a medium. great whipsmart indie in a way i don't find as contrived as someone like linklater (for example). rather have to suspend my internal red flags of older men dating significantly younger women. it's a thing innit

It is a thing but I think Hal's films do it less after the first couple with Adrienne Shelley. I think the ages were closer together with Simple Men (basically a young and old brother and younger/older women) and then Henry Fool.

phantom_power

I think Hartley is well known in the UK to people in their 40s due to a season of his films on Channel  in the 90s. That is where I first discovered and fell in love with him

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 27, 2021, 02:57:36 PM
I saw John Milius recently in a documentary from around 2000, bearing a near-exact resemblance to John Goodman in The Big Lebowski. Entertaining guy.

Walter Sobchak was definitely based on him. The Coen brothers have acknowledged so.

From all reports by people close to him, Michelangelo Antonioni (well, pre-stroke) was a funny guy. It just that it never showed in his films.