Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:00:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Struggling to understand what a village is.

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 03, 2021, 11:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

shiftwork2

Empty calories.  If you've got a kitchen island with fairy lights on it you shouldn't be allowed to write for pay.  Or go outside.

A village has a wicker man.

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 03, 2021, 01:00:27 PM
Prerequisites for villagehood, checklist

- Village green with game of cricket perpetually going on. Even if village green is now middle of roundabout.
- Ruddy-faced blacksmith. Also local smack dealer.
- Pub on every corner with word 'Harvest' or a tree in its name
- Cobbled main street with travel agent and children's bookshop
- Entire male population are aggressive lager louts who do folk dance at weekends
- Book club whose members are murdered on regular basis
- Loudmouthed yuppie who has big house nearby and walks round shouting into oversized mobile phone
- Bench reserved for the use of old people eating ice cream

- Maximum of three surnames

Twit 2

Neville Chamberlain

QuoteI am not of the opinion that villages are perfect, quaint ideals, as sometimes patronisingly portrayed in pre-watershed gentle television dramas or in papers like The Guardian.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

olliebean

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 03, 2021, 01:00:27 PM
Prerequisites for villagehood, checklist

- Village green with game of cricket perpetually going on. Even if village green is now middle of roundabout.
- Ruddy-faced blacksmith. Also local smack dealer.
- Pub on every corner with word 'Harvest' or a tree in its name
- Cobbled main street with travel agent and children's bookshop
- Entire male population are aggressive lager louts who do folk dance at weekends
- Book club whose members are murdered on regular basis
- Loudmouthed yuppie who has big house nearby and walks round shouting into oversized mobile phone
- Bench reserved for the use of old people eating ice cream

- Anyone who tries to leave gets herded back by a weather balloon

Dr Rock

One shop (maybe) with a post office in it (possibly), one pub (if you're lucky). More amenities than that and it's not a village.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 03, 2021, 12:56:04 PM
Agreed. Hebden Bridge has all of those and a sub 6,000 population. They have lots of stuff mainly due to lots of visitors on weekends due to being picturesque and on a trainline. Doesn't make it a city.

It doesn't have 'not being in Hebden fucking Bridge' ;)

Paul Calf

I'm probably being a bit unfair to Hebden Vegas there; it's a lovely place. But it does very much feel like a place that's far too fucking pleased with itself.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 03, 2021, 02:09:34 PM
I'm probably being a bit unfair to Hebden Vegas there; it's a lovely place. But it does very much feel like a place that's far too fucking pleased with itself.

Based on that documentary in the area not too long ago it is pretty grim to live in and around on the poverty line (though I suppose most places are) and the people interviewed were rather forlorn and desperate rather than smug.

Either way, pretty emphatically not a City.

Blumf

Butchers Blind

Think you can judge a village on how much incest is going on.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 03, 2021, 02:15:35 PM
Based on that documentary in the area not too long ago it is pretty grim to live in and around on the poverty line (though I suppose most places are) and the people interviewed were rather forlorn and desperate rather than smug.

Either way, pretty emphatically not a City.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to live there on the poverty line. Everything is significantly more expensive than it is in surrounding towns.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 03, 2021, 01:41:59 PM
One shop (maybe) with a post office in it (possibly), one pub (if you're lucky). More amenities than that and it's not a village.

There are plenty villages with more than that. Slaidburn for example has a pub, a cafe, a small chocolate shop, a post office, a school and church, it's populations is about 350.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 03, 2021, 02:44:12 PM
Think you can judge a village on how much incest is going on.

Or how many dogs look a bit too like their owners.

Fr.Bigley

What about urban villages, one Pret, two cunts on bromptons and three middle class businesses selling 1. Overpriced cheese 2. Overpriced hobby shit or 3. Selling overpriced furniture.

KaraokeDragon

'Intermediate settlement', mate. Confusion Over.

No, wait...

Pranet

I grew up in a village. It was quite marked how many shops and amenities have gone since then. When I was a kid it had two general shops, a bakery, a newsagent, a post office, a butcher, four pubs and in the next village along which was within walking distance there was a similar mix of things and a bank, takeaway, hardwear shop, library and a few other various shops. Both villages had football teams, next village had a cricket team.

Now I think the village I grew up in has a general shop and a pub and that's it. Not sure if there is still a football team, I know there is no local cricket team. Obviously no bank. Takeaway and library still hanging on so far as I am aware. And a hairdresser I think. Also no buses after about 5 o clock now.

I have never know a village with a cinema. Precovid there was some thing that happened in some villages where they would put a film in in the village hall.

Tony Tony Tony

Reckon one of the main perquisites for being a village is that the only entertainment for teens not yet old enough for t'pub is seeing how many can fit in the villages only phone box. 

Most teens no longer have this option on account of a dearth of phone boxes. Is it any wonder they getting so stab happy or running county lines.

dissolute ocelot

Village has Tesco Express.
Town has regular Tesco.
City has multiple Tescos including Super/Extra.

I'm not even going to mention burghs.

Buelligan

I live in a proper village.  We don't have a mobile phone signal.  We do have a forge that everyone in the village can and does use.  We don't have a shop.  We do have a stone horse trough fed from a spring.  We don't have a bus service.  We do have a man who comes round selling fresh bread and croissants in a little white Renault van.  We don't have a doctor.  We do have an enormous number (out of our under 200 souls) of people married to their relatives.  We also have a two room school.  A large petanque court, a huge statue of Jesus dying and several wineries.  An old lady who can cure burns (even very severe ones) with magic.  And a hunting club that includes at least half the adult males in the place and no women whatsoever.

Voila!  That is a village!

Pranet

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 03, 2021, 05:36:09 PM
Reckon one of the main perquisites for being a village is that the only entertainment for teens not yet old enough for t'pub is seeing how many can fit in the villages only phone box. 

Most teens no longer have this option on account of a dearth of phone boxes. Is it any wonder they getting so stab happy or running county lines.

I did indeed spend much of my youth hanging around the phone box.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Buelligan on September 03, 2021, 05:39:42 PM
I live in a proper village.  We don't have a mobile phone signal.  We do have a forge that everyone in the village can and does use.  We don't have a shop.  We do have a stone horse trough fed from a spring.  We don't have a bus service.  We do have a man who comes round selling fresh bread and croissants in a little white Renault van.  We don't have a doctor.  We do have an enormous number (out of our under 200 souls) of people married to their relatives.  We also have a two room school.  A large petanque court, a huge statue of Jesus dying and several wineries.  An old lady who can cure burns (even very severe ones) with magic.  And a hunting club that includes at least half the adult males in the place and no women whatsoever.

Voila!  That is a village!

To the locals, another quirk of the village is that they've got an Englishwoman living in a cave.
Is the forge where you make your halberds and Elven glass armour?

Das Reboot

Until last year I was living in a village in Cumbria - an actual village, not fucking Ambleside. It was great. It has a cracking pub, a shop/post office/small cafe and all the natives I met were friendly. It probably helped that it is in the fringes of the national park - so that while tourists do visit, it's not rammed solid with dickheads from June-September.

Easily the best place I've ever lived, but then again some of my previous residences were in Burslem (Stoke) and Barrow-in-Furness.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Are you studiously avoiding telling us where that is in case we ruin it with city ideas like falafel and LGBT rights?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pranet on September 03, 2021, 06:32:30 PM
I did indeed spend much of my youth hanging around the phone box.

yeah but you're not that old, I can only assume you got on the smack young?