Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

Started by Ja'moke, September 03, 2021, 02:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

New album from the amazing Little Simz out today.

I know it's bold to claim an album of the year contender off one listen, but in the instance, it's worthy. It's obvious from one listen how good this record is. Immaculate production, heartfelt lyrics, flows on point as usual from Simz, and the whole thing so cohesively structured. I wasn't sure she'd be able to top her previous album, the incredible GREY Area, but I think she might have done it.

Also, her recent Tiny Desk Concert is well worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkt93coQzqg

phantom_power

I have only heard I Love You, I Hate You but it is a bop

SweetPomPom

Speed and Point and Kill are both stuck in my brain, all good tho

(I would have sworn she's pinched the bass from Dr Bucks Letter but apparently not)

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 03, 2021, 02:34:30 PM
I wasn't sure she'd be able to top her previous album, the incredible GREY Area, but I think she might have done it.

Holy shit, I am SO excited to hear this album. Grey Area is a masterpiece and I rate it as the greatest British hip hop album ever.

Sebastian Cobb

chalk me up for 'bought the preorder' so not reading the thread but registering interest.

Bernice

I fucking love Little Simz. Look forward to wrapping my earballs round this beauty while I do some housework today

Dusty Substance

It's a true masterpiece. A more than worthy follow-up to Grey Area.

Spellling's The Turning Wheel was my clear AOTY, but Sometimes I Might Be Introvert may well change that after a few more listens.

Ornlu

SpiderChrist

Listened to it today - thought it was really something special indeed. Need to find a non-sweary tune to play on the radio tho...

Epic Bisto

I totally forgot this was just released.  I'll snag a copy when I have the cash.

Harpo Speaks

Promising to hear that this is decent, Grey Area is fucking dope.

Sebastian Cobb

It's not just the themes and rapping that has shifted from Grey Area. The production (I assume it's still Inflo?) is a lot deeper, more soulful and orchestral in places. I've only listened to it a couple of times and still haven' taken it all in really.

It's very very good, the only things I didn't like were the skits that sounded like they were from Gladiator  - The Musical, really overblown with that stagey English voice trying to force emotion and grandeur when the songs themselves are so great that there's really no need (and they're quite cringey).

The rapping is excellent as always and Inflo's levels have gone through the roof with this and the Sault stuff in recent years, there's one track where I can't believe it isn't a sample.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah the posh not-quite RP bits stood out a bit for me as well.

The amount Inflo/Sault etc have got up to between I suppose Grey Area and, well this LP is outstanding really.

chveik

Quote from: thelittlemango on September 06, 2021, 12:24:26 AM
The rapping is excellent as always and Inflo's levels have gone through the roof with this and the Sault stuff in recent years, there's one track where I can't believe it isn't a sample.

he's the guy behind Sault too? wasn't aware of that

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah for the most part Sault is him and Cleo Sol I think.

Mr Trumpet

One of the best in the business. I've yet to regain my balance from hearing Venom for the first time.

kitsofan34

The RP voice is Emma Corrin, of Diana Spencer fame.

peanutbutter

Thought Grey Area was great and have little doubt that this will be at least very good, fully expect the length to drag it down a bit though.

Is "I Love You, I Hate You" about her dad, or dads generally?

Johnboy

Just discovered her during the summer, this is very timely.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 06, 2021, 01:27:53 PM
Is "I Love You, I Hate You" about her dad, or dads generally?

Given it poses questions like "are you my dad or just a sperm donor" I reckon it's probably quite personal.

I was wondering similar about whether she's actually been stabbed though.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ornlu on September 05, 2021, 03:14:50 PM
Think she missed a word off that title

Fuck! I just realised that the acronym for the new album is SIMBI, which is her nickname! https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Little_Simz

peanutbutter

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 06, 2021, 12:55:53 PM
Thought Grey Area was great and have little doubt that this will be at least very good, fully expect the length to drag it down a bit though.
Yeah, so it's fine (asides from those interludes), but it does feel a bit like it sacrificed having some bangers to be a quite well flowing 65 minute album. There wasn't much that was bad, but there's fuck all to bring me back.

Will persist with it for a bit, then go back to Grey Area to make sure I'm not misremembering it being a lot better than this one.

jsgibble

Saw Fantano's review of it and I'm glad I'm not the only one who really liked it but found the fairy tale interludes a bit cringeworthy

Same, I'm baffled that someone with such refinement in taste as far as the sounds and lyrics can have such cringey interludes with cliches like 'pressure makes diamonds', and not just that, but in a really overblown way too. Despite that the album is still great, but I'd like to make an edited version without them.

Bernice

Agreed. It's very unfortunate because it's otherwise an absolute gem of an album. Fewer bangers than Grey Area but a proper album album, of the like you don't get so much these days. Marred by irritating voiceover spouting vacuous clichés.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 06, 2021, 02:32:47 PM
Given it poses questions like "are you my dad or just a sperm donor" I reckon it's probably quite personal.

I was wondering similar about whether she's actually been stabbed though.

I Love You, I Hate You is about her dad, yeah.

Little Q is her cousin I believe, the one who got stabbed, so she raps that song from his perspective.

Dusty Substance

SIMBI has debuted at No. 1 on Rate Your Music's top albums of 2021 and is, impressively, currently at 92 on the all time albums list. These lists are pretty fluid and is bound to change soon, but it looks likely that Simz' new album is a landmark in British hip-hop.