Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wtf is up with Texas?

Started by bgmnts, September 03, 2021, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Seriously, good god.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58426145

QuoteThe state law outsources enforcement of the abortion ban to private citizens, who can file lawsuits against abortion providers and individuals who "aid and abet" the procedure - collecting $10,000 (£7,230) in damages for each case they win. With no government official or entity enforcing the ban, the Supreme Court majority held, there's no one for opponents of the law to sue until those private cases start showing up in court

The three people who saw The Handmaid's Tale and said yeah that looks awesome just happen to run things.

touchingcloth

Buelligan

Maybe all the sane women will just up and leave.  Have they thought of that at all?

C_Larence

Quote from: Buelligan on September 03, 2021, 10:36:58 PM
Maybe all the sane women will just up and leave.  Have they thought of that at all?

The people who will be disproportionately affected by this are least likely to be able to do that.

Pranet

It is terrifying and isn't going to stop at Texas. Remembering all the twats saying that Trump wasn't that bad actually now. This was the point of Trump to a lot of people who voted for him.

Mister Six

The website is here: Prolifewhistleblower.com

They've blocked access from the UK, but someone with a VPN might be able to fuck around with them from "within the US".

Just a thought.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Mister Six on September 04, 2021, 12:06:08 AM

They've blocked access from the UK, but someone with a VPN might be able to fuck around with them from "within the US".

Just a thought.

"Site on lockdown"

JamesTC

You wait until they are born before you kill them. Preferably with guns in some sort of mass shooting. No fun otherwise.

Just the five dead in mass shootings last month in Texas (July was a bumper month with 15). With no abortions to prune the population, who knows how high that can rise! Exciting times we live in.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: Mister Six on September 04, 2021, 12:06:08 AM

Just a thought.

Tried with a VPN, seems overloaded: "Block Reason:   Exceeded the maximum global requests per minute for crawlers or humans."

earl_sleek

I'm seeing on that apparently GoDaddy have suspended hosting the site & given them 24 hours to find another host.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Seal off the area.

If women decided to retaliate by having procedures to become infertile Texas would probably retaliate by making rape legal.

JesusAndYourBush

Can women get an abortion in another state (where abortion is presumably legal?), or would they still be classed as having broken the law as soon an they cross the state line back into Texas?

All Surrogate

As I read it, that wouldn't be illegal, as the illegality is in the provision of the abortion, rather than undergoing it.

I've no legal training though, so take that with a pinch of salt.

touchingcloth

Absolutely mad that things like abortion laws are devolved to the individual states. Wouldn't catch us doing that sort of thing.

Key

So if a fetus is legally considered a human life at 6 weeks in Texas, could this potentially open a can of worms? Insurance firms having to pay out on fetuses?
U.S. citizenship for embryos?

chveik

personally i think you should be allowed a time limit of two years to get an abortion

Alberon

Christian Middle-East. Mad bunch of absolute fucks.

Buelligan

Quote from: chveik on September 05, 2021, 11:31:41 AM
personally i think you should be allowed a time limit of two years to get an abortion

We could make exceptions in certain cases, this is a democracy.

Deserves the same rights as a foetus

Quote from: Greg AbbottYou need to understand that there's a lot of businesses and a lot of Americans who like the social positions that the state of Texas is taking.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/09/greg-abbott-abortion-ban-business/

Kankurette

Glebe

bgmnts

'You need to understand there are a lot of hypocritical religious nutcase fucks out there like me' is basically what he should say. We're in mask off territory at this point why put such a polite front on it?

Dex Sawash

Papa John's and My Pillow are probably already in Texas

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
'You need to understand there are a lot of hypocritical religious nutcase fucks out there like me' is basically what he should say. We're in mask off territory at this point why put such a polite front on it?

I honestly wonder if they're[nb]Most politicians and businesspeople.[/nb] like behavioural science experiment rats.  They've learnt that if you press certain buttons, you get money, sex and power, they don't care or think about what happens other than that.  What happens other than that is God's will.

Dex Sawash

Video Game Fan 2000

All this "Texan Taliban" shit is pissing me off, wouldn't be surprised if a significant chunk of it was centrist astroturf.

Nevermind the actual harm done by this specific ruling, let's just whip out the same strained racist analogy we've been failing to get going since Jan 6. 

Liberal flowchart: Can We Compare This Human Rights Abuse To Some YA Lit? -> if no -> Racism

Dr Rock

QuoteIn an interview, Greaves describes how the idea for The Satanic Temple was conceived. Greaves and his colleagues envisioned The Satanic Temple as a "poison pill" in the Church/State debate. Their idea was that Satanists, asserting their rights and privileges where religious agendas have been successful in imposing themselves upon public affairs, could serve as a reminder that such privileges are for everybody, and can be used to serve an agenda beyond the current narrow understanding of what the religious agenda is

I watch a lot of stuff about american religious nut-jobs. I'm so glad I don't live there. Also they stole the country off the indigenous people and should give it back.

Dr Rock

The Dusty Smith podcast features a lot of sick cunt mad bastard christaian fucks/

This particular development is beyond horrific.

Buelligan

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 06, 2021, 03:00:22 AM

All power to them.  I wonder if they do t shirts, I'm not pregnant but if I were, a TST maternity top to cover the bump would be an absolute godsend.

bgmnts

Unsure if associating abortion with Satanism in a Christian fundamentalist state is a good idea but sadly that's how desperate it all is.

Hope they turn their stupid religious laws against them.

Buelligan