Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:59:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Started by samadriel, September 04, 2021, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 15, 2021, 05:35:11 PM
I went to see this, first cinema trip since before covid, and the projector broke during what I assume was near the end of the big finale. I enjoyed what I'd seen before that though. It was very nice of them to keep the camera steady in the fight scenes so you could see what was happening, quite a novel idea.
That must've been in the last 10% because I didn't catch that at all.

They didn't. Razorfist just happens to be another comic character amongst many that has a shit name.

touchingcloth

Yeah, I didn't remember anything being made of his name, and can't actually remember if I heard it before I spotted it in the credits, a bit like with how they treated Killmonger's name.

Magnum Valentino

It was written in massive graffiti on the side of the Jeep they stole from the garage.

AsparagusTrevor

Ah, so "lifted the tazer face joke from Guardians of the Galaxy 2" was actually, "a guy had a silly name"? Got it.

madhair60

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 15, 2021, 11:16:28 PM
Ah, so "lifted the tazer face joke from Guardians of the Galaxy 2" was actually, "a guy had a silly name"? Got it.

it's functionally the same joke yes

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2021, 11:19:44 PM
it's functionally the same joke yes

But the joke in GotG is that everyone points out what a silly name Tazer Face is and laugh at him. In this the girl just comments what a cool car she thinks he's got.

phantom_power

More to the point, the joke in GotG is how Rocket deals with the dangerous situation by taking the piss out of his captor. Tazerface isn't even that stupid a name in a world with Star Lord in it.

The joke in Shang Chi is just that you know whose car they have stolen

The Culture Bunker

I didn't even notice the name on the side of the BMW, but it did cut to him in the security room and he shouts "my car!" as he sees them drive off.

Butchers Blind

Was enjoyable enough as a mid-tier Marvel film, even though the lead character was bit bland.

Spoiler alert
Could not understand why Ben Kingsley was back as that character from IM3. What was the point? You could've easily found another plot point to get to that village
[close]

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 16, 2021, 07:56:44 PM

Spoiler alert
Could not understand why Ben Kingsley was back as that character from IM3. What was the point? You could've easily found another plot point to get to that village
[close]

Spoiler alert
Because the Mandarin was a popular character in the sixties, and one of the most famous antagonists to Iron Man. With time, he was more and more regarded as a racist stereotype. Meanwhile, Shang-Chi's father was supposed to be an even bigger racist stereotype, Fu Manchu (who was also the inspiration for the Mandarin).
When they eventually used the Mandarin for IM3, even if he was a "fan favorite", the Chinese market was extremely important, there was no way they could use the regular Mandarin, and they revealed this Mandarin as a fake act, which also worked better in the reveal if they had a name actor for the part.
Here, they've also changed Shang-Chi's father, which is a retcon from the comics, and merged the two figures into one, which was easier if they had Trevor back from Iron Man. And having Kingsley plus Katy, who's not comfortable with speaking Mandarin, offers an excuse to have the other characters speak English.
[close]

touchingcloth

They could have done all of that without
Spoiler alert
Kingsley's character
[close]
in the film. It doesn't seem to add anything, popularity of characters in the 60s aside.

Butchers Blind

The Culture Bunker

I quite liked the stuff between Trevor and Morris, esp the bit when the former finds out he hasn't just been imagining the latter. Shame they made him a Liverpool fan, though.

colacentral

Why even wake up in the morning? Could just swallow broken glass and be done with it.

Chedney Honks

Amazing that Tony Leung Chiu-Wai is in this.

touchingcloth

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2021, 08:45:28 PM
Amazing because?

Because he's one of the sexiest, most charismatic actors in the history of cinema who has appeared in a handful of the greatest art films ever made and even a number of the best genre films ever produced and has thus far resisted going to the US to appear in films made for 14 year old boys. He does fine character work in Shang-Chi, and he was in it a lot more than I expected, but we can't pretend that it's likely that the man who was in films as spectacular as Hard Boiled and Hero actually thinks of this as anything other than a profile-raising endeavour.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on September 18, 2021, 10:55:36 PM
Ben Kingsley been in few movies.

Exclusively dogshit since Sexy Beast, very much someone whose exalted reputation has been supremely undeserved for a while now, probably the last worthwhile thing he was in was Knight of Cups and he was barely in that.

Lord Mandrake

Fawning like a cultist over a genre actor, presuming to know his motivations and then shitting on one of the finest actors this or any country has ever produced with a fifty year career and 4 academy awards. Muppet.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on September 19, 2021, 09:19:40 PM
Fawning like a cultist over a genre actor, presuming to know his motivations and then shitting on one of the finest actors this or any country has ever produced with a fifty year career and 4 academy awards. Muppet.

Think Ben Kingsley's only won 1 academy award.

If you think In The Mood For Love, Chungking Express, A City of Sadness, Happy Together & Flowers of Shanghai are the films of a 'genre actor', then I don't know what to tell you (I'm assuming that you're generally unfamiliar with his work? How lucky!). To be sure, none of those films were graced with the touch of directorial talent on the level of Richard Attenborough or Destin Daniel Cretton, but Wong Kar-wai and Hou Hsiao-hsien certainly know how to put together an image or two. Neither of them have been nominated for Oscars or had a US Box office hit though, so I understand it might be a tough sell. They've both got Bafta nominations if that helps? That means they're good, right?

chveik

haha fucking hell

Tony Leung, Marvel actor etc.

Very unfortunate that a Hollywood film that very self-consciously invokes the iconography of Hong Kong cinema would end up unfavourably compared to those films, how can this happen, how could this happen? (That last bit is a reference to a show the unimpeachable Ben Kingsley graced with his presence by the way).