Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:51:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Started by samadriel, September 04, 2021, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

Unfavorably compared by a few, cooler than thou giddy jizzlings that think everyone should be equally impressed by about a decades worth of decent cinema from a former British colony as they are.

1) About three decades worth.

2) Hou Hsiao-hsien is Taiwanese.

Lord Mandrake

I could give a fuck mate. Shang Chi, keeping cinema alive, giving your boy work.

samadriel

Lord Mandrake

Shang Chi's BO performance was informing a lot of big studios release dates.

Hong Kong is dead.

Fascinating. Have you seen this film yet, LM?

Lord Mandrake

But let's take it back to... Tony Leung is too good to appear in a Marvel film. Ben Kingsley, Scarlet Johannsson, Downey Jr, fucking Robert Redford, Cate Bkanchett, Anthony Hopkins etc... etc... He's better.

It has often been remarked that A Touch of Zen and Ebola Syndrome are basically the same film!

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on September 20, 2021, 12:56:08 PM
But let's take it back to... Tony Leung is too good to appear in a Marvel film. Ben Kingsley, Scarlet Johannsson, Downey Jr, fucking Robert Redford, Cate Bkanchett, Anthony Hopkins etc... etc... He's better.

Have to go back to this because it's continued to tickle me. You're telling me that Robert Fucking Redford, the most safe and boring of all the great 70s leading men, and the star of The Way We Were and Indecent Proposal, would appear in commercial schlock for money? Well I just don't buy it! Anthony Hopkins hamming it up for a cheque? Who could suggest that he's ever done such a thing?

colacentral

It's impossible to know what someone's intentions are to be in this or that, it's just projection on your part. I'm sure Robert Redford had no clue what a marvel is and just took a big bag of cash dumped in front of him, but on the other hand, Werner Herzog appeared in that awful Jack Reacher film because he wanted to and thought it would be fun. Ethan Hawke is going to be in Moon Knight because he's a fan of the comics. Some people like to do films that their kids will enjoy. There's more than one thing that actors are getting out of whatever they choose to do, certainly money being one element.

In truth, from his interviews and the evidence of the film itself I reckon Tony Leung was enticed by the possibility that he would get to play a fully fleshed-out character in a film that would potentially present a new kind of challenge for him, got assurances to that effect up front, and did a creditable job. Him being wary of Hollywood up until now might be related to the way that Hollywood frequently wastes the Asian talent that comes its way, as seen in the dismal run of Chow Yun-Fat a while ago.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on September 20, 2021, 12:22:31 PM
a decades worth of decent cinema from a former British colony

Well alrite 😂😂😂

Goldentony

I wish this had the potential to be as good as Zu Warriors From The Magic Mountain

greenman

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on September 20, 2021, 01:39:39 PM
In truth, from his interviews and the evidence of the film itself I reckon Tony Leung was enticed by the possibility that he would get to play a fully fleshed-out character in a film that would potentially present a new kind of challenge for him, got assurances to that effect up front, and did a creditable job. Him being wary of Hollywood up until now might be related to the way that Hollywood frequently wastes the Asian talent that comes its way, as seen in the dismal run of Chow Yun-Fat a while ago.

I'd say a big issue as well is when Hollywood might have come calling, he might have been around for just as long as Chow and even stared in some of the same films but really I'd say the point at which Hollywood might have been seriously interested is probably significantly latter, most likely in the 00's and by the second half of that decade you had hollywood level budgets in Chinese cinema anyway with stuff like Red Cliff.

dissolute ocelot

Just saw this. Was fun. Some slightly weird tonal shifts though - Ben Kingsley and his cute animal friend seemed very Disney and out of place, after the early part had a much more east Asian vibe. Wasn't terrible, but Awkwafina was much better for comic relief and seemed to fit in the movie unlike our Ben.

As for Tony Leung, great actor but certainly not someone who's a purist about only doing serious art movies - for every In The Mood For Love there's a big dumb action movie or kids animation voice work or whatever pays the bills.

Agree Simu Liu (as Shang-Chi) was a bit dull, but at least he can do the action scenes more convincingly than a lot of Marvel (despite not having much of a background in action movies).

Mister Six

Absolutely loved this, and I'm disappointed by all the bores wanking off over their own cultural superiority in this thread (can't tell whether that's the behaviour of teenagers trying to prove they're smart or old men terrified of change, but either way it's not good).

The action scenes were mostly great and well-choreographed, the characters were fun, the jokes landed, it moved along at a fair old clip and, y'know, "Little" Tony Leung. There was the odd plot hole, sure, but for the most part it was just a big old hoot. Joyous stuff. And anyone moaning about Kingsley needs to fuck themselves right off into the moon.

PlanktonSideburns

Christ, most of this page is like walking into a games workshop or something

phantom_power

Yeah who let the nerds onto this internet forum

PlanktonSideburns

Yeah sorry, it's just that there's a really strangely heightened sensitivity and defensiveness around these Marvel films in particular which it's sometimes enlightening to prod at and fuck around with. Won't become a regular feature, I just happened to see this film because it seemed more in my wheelhouse than the usual fare. I enjoyed the film and thought it was nice and Awkwafina was funny and it was fine.

Goldentony

I was replying to this specifically because people were/are getting wound up enough to point this sort of thing out and it's really funny to read, sorry, probably never going to bother with Shang Chi ultimately

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 05, 2021, 05:22:10 PM
Yeah sorry, it's just that there's a really strangely heightened sensitivity and defensiveness around these Marvel films in particular which it's sometimes enlightening to prod at and fuck around with. Won't become a regular feature, I just happened to see this film because it seemed more in my wheelhouse than the usual fare. I enjoyed the film and thought it was nice and Awkwafina was funny and it was fine.

Don't need to apologise to me I'm being a cunt

Awkwafina is skill and wicked tho

Goldentony

that said this wont be as good as A Colt Is My Passport

PlanktonSideburns

lipsink

Yeah I liked this. The bus fight was thrilling though it did get a bit serious and po-faced towards the end. Was glad they finished with a funny final and mid-credits scene.

chveik

Small Man Big Horse

I'm normally a big fan of Marvel fare but I struggled with this, at two hours and fifteen it's really bloated, there's too many dull flashbacks and the training montage is weak, and worst of all was that I found your main hero man a bit boring, while his sister and Awkwafina were much more interesting characters and it's a shame Marvel / Disney didn't have the balls to make one of them the lead. There were elements I liked and it starts well, and right up to the kids being reunited with their dear old papa I was enjoying it, but after that it gets tedious for way too long and only picks up when
Spoiler alert
the Cthulu-dragon-monster thing turns up
[close]
, and due to that is one of the weaker Marvel films for me. 6.3/10