Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture war storm in teacup over Roy Chubby Brown event cancellation [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 05, 2021, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

The Sheffield City Trust venue has decided to cancel a performance by comedian Roy "Chubby" Brown in January 2022, saying:

Quote..."We don't believe this show reflects Sheffield City Trust values, particularly our ambition that our leisure, culture and entertainment venues are inclusive for all in Sheffield.

"Those who have already purchased tickets will receive a full refund. We understand that some people will be disappointed with our decision but we must uphold the standards and values that we promote and expect across our venues."...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/roy-chubby-brown-show-in-sheffield-axed-following-complaints-3360317

The decision has been supported by Labour MP Gill Furness and the local council.

The decision by one venue - which I understand is publically funded - to cancel a performance by a comedian has been spun by GB News and similar as people telling us what to think, censorship etc. People tweeting "if you don't like a comedian, don't buy a ticket" and ignoring that venues cancelling comics is hardly new. It's not like Brown can't find a replacement venue in Sheffield.

Instead we get tweets like these:

Why would a place try and stop Roy Chubby Brown from performing unless Sheffield is twinned with Pyongyang.

Yes Craig, a venue cancelling a comedian is just like the way people are treated in North Korea, I'm sure any people who have escaped from North Korea would agree. You melon.

QuoteRoy Chubby Brown cancelled in Sheffield by the City's trust because he doesn't reflect their values,
I'm not a fan these days but if people want to buy tickets what's the problem,
The Snowflakes are taking over.

By the logic of "if people want to buy tickets what's the problem" it would be ok to have a four hour orgy where people could buy tickets to watch as long as enough people did so.

And from cesspit GB News:

Quote'In the past few days we've seen a backlash from fans of Roy Chubby Brown as well as those who support free speech.'

GB News reporter Kevin Larkin says thousands have petitioned for Roy Chubby Brown to play in Sheffield after the comedian was 'cancelled' by Sheffield city trust.

One venue cancelling a comedian doesn't make an attack on free speech. I see the GB News tweet was worded to not make it clear the venue cancelled the comedian. If Chubby Brown was arrested following a gig, that could be seen as an attack on free speech depending on what he had said (I don't follow Mr Brown's comedy but I understand some people say it is racist.

If GB News was really that bothered about free speech, it would report on the many places around the world where free speech really is at risk.

DrGreggles

"I'm a racist and demand to see a man mocking brown people"

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine many of these people will be the ones complaining about Afghanistan refugees seeking refugee in the UK. They complain that desperate people facing oppression didn't fight the heavily armed Taliban with their fists but have a massive tantrum when a venue cancels a comedian.

And they call the left "snowflakes".

Butchers Blind

If it was good enough for LoG, then it's good enough for Sheffield.

Yeah, fuck him. It's not about his "brand of humour", it's about him being a lazy, playing to the gallery for cheap back slaps, cowardly racist cunt.
Far more insidious and damaging than if he was to go there and do a BNP rally.

Wonderful Butternut

Can we petition for Chubby Brown to be force fed radium until his jaw rots off instead?

thenoise

To be fair to Chubbs, its not just wall to wall racist and sexist jokes at his shows.

He does racist and sexist songs too.

BritishHobo

QuoteIt is not for the Trust or the Council to dictate what adults can or cannot pay to see.

It is when the venue concerned is owned and managed by the Trust and the Council. Book him at your own venue if you're that bothered.

Cloud

There's always a big noise over him when he comes to Barrow also, he's a big favourite of the "I'm not racist but have a weirdly strong attachment to Golliwogs and will complain until the end of time about then getting banned by the PC Brigade" crowd.

Rather he just didn't have the publicity really.  Let him turn up and do a bunch of racist jokes to a dwindling crowd

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 05, 2021, 12:19:40 PM
If it was good enough for LoG, then it's good enough for Sheffield.

GET THOSE BASTARDS OFF MY BACK!

imitationleather

I think a lot of people who come out in support of Chubby Brown are doing whatever the right-wing version of virtue signalling is. I genuinely don't believe all these people can be watching what he does and come to the conclusion it's a) not racist and b) good.

samadriel

Quote from: imitationleather on September 05, 2021, 02:55:30 PM
I think a lot of people who come out in support of Chubby Brown are doing whatever the right-wing version of virtue signalling is.
Vice signalling?

Video Game Fan 2000

Is he in black face or yellow face in the image?

Or just so pockmarked with cancer on the inside that he has to paint himself the colour of 'not dead' before he goes on stage

Humour is personal! I have seen him once but he's not my cup of tea! And I vote with my own pocket not to see him. Frankly I also find the university humour circuit lacking though I have seen it. Thus the thought policing of humour if you don't like it don't watch it simple as! But why deny the right to those who do like it! Thought police at it gross you do as I say mentality. We live in an open society we have a right to go and be entertained. I absolutely abhor ballet but have given it a go 2 times along with Opera I have seen some dire theatre productions and I vote with my wallet. We are all grown ups!

I don't think anyone in the comments section knows what a "majority" is.

stonkers

Quote from: stonkers on September 05, 2021, 03:07:17 PM
Surprise last minute replacement

Well, Syd Little has to earn a living without Eddie, now.

Video Game Fan 2000

All these guys going on about 'university comedy' making all the money these days, seeing as thats supposedly to be such an easy gravy train its disappointing no one have tried to get that PC moon money they're sure is there.

Video Game Fan 2000

WAHEY! DONT EAT MEAT YA CUNTS
MY WIFES SO RACIST ... HOW RACIST IS SHE CHUBS? SHE ONLY CALLS THE POSTMAN A N***R...I DONT APPROVE AT ALL
IF ME BEING PC OFFENDS YOU...FUCK OFF! WE'RE ONLY HAVING A LAUGH

It's maybe not a good idea to ban his show, as that gets him more attention and sympathy, while otherwise he's just playing to the bottom one percent of society.

Video Game Fan 2000

Trying to get in the public eye by booking a show that'll inevitably be cancelled in the distant hope someone will write an article about it.

boki

Quote from: stonkers on September 05, 2021, 03:07:17 PM
Surprise last minute replacement

He looks like a fucking Womble what the fuck

thenoise

Quote from: imitationleather on September 05, 2021, 02:55:30 PM
I think a lot of people who come out in support of Chubby Brown are doing whatever the right-wing version of virtue signalling is. I genuinely don't believe all these people can be watching what he does and come to the conclusion it's a) not racist and b) good.

The whole thrill of Chubby is an hour of filth that "they" don't want to let you hear. It was the thrill of his cassette tapes full of witless swearing in the early 90s being passed around by cheeky schoolboys. Or his annual VHS with the 18 certificate. When TV allowed witless swearing on it he had to expand his repetoire, now "who the f*ck is Alice" doesn't cut it, it has to be "Alice is a f*cking p*ki". It's the same "joke", and whether or not Chubby is an actual racist or not is immaterial. He knows his clientelle, and so long as he is shocking people he will attract a crowd.

Replies From View

I do love how Roy Chubby Brown posters evoke the covers of Beano annuals.  Such a comfortable fit.

Goldentony

the idea of a Chubby Brown tribute is almost too much. Howay man am skint and wor wifes fucken off tae sunderland, ah graduated school wi nowt but a Geordie accent and a knack for being a cunt to people, me one fooken talent an ah canne use it for anyth-WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT A MINUTE

[THE CURE - PLAINSONG]

[PILOTS HAT FLIES IN THROUGH WINDOW ON BEAM OF LIGHT]

Sebastian Cobb

it's just so desolate, most of browns jokes were horrid basic club jokes that nobody even claimed to own, so this tribute guy is just admitting defeat.

Indomitable Spirit

thank you GB News for being the only major news outlet to have the cajones to cover this important story #justiceforchubs

jobotic

What's with that bloke's hair? And the spare hair sitting atop a pole behind him?

Do you have to wear a special anti-woke syrup on GB News?

FredNurke

That's the real reason Andrew Neil left.

Indomitable Spirit

Lad on the left looks like Stephen Graham playing Fred West.