Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:18:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture war storm in teacup over Roy Chubby Brown event cancellation [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 05, 2021, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 09, 2021, 05:10:30 PM
Beautifully put, The Mollusk. Bravo.

It's beautifully spelt, I'll grant you that. Otherwise, it's disturbingly disproportionate bilious frothing poison and I hope he feels better soon.

Kankurette

You mean the same kind of thing Chubby Brown spouts. But it's not aimed at you so of course you're cool with it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Endicott on September 09, 2021, 05:24:33 PM
Misogyny is what's going on there.

I know but why split arse? Isn't everyone's arse split? Maybe it's a vag reference but a vagina isn't an arse. I don't get it.

Famous Mortimer

Fambo Number Mive

I'm surprised Johnson hasn't got involved in this, given he's using criticism of a charity for not being pro-Churchill enough as his latest culture war distraction. Maybe coming out for Chubby Brown is a bit extreme even for his supporters.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 09, 2021, 06:44:00 PM
I know but why split arse? Isn't everyone's arse split? Maybe it's a vag reference but a vagina isn't an arse. I don't get it.
The arse has split all the way round to the front. That's my guess.

buttgammon

The more the culture war goes on, the more the 'marketplace of ideas' will collide with the marketplace of capitalism, tying the usual suspects in knots. Hopefully they'll all get so confused by it all that they will finally decide to shut UP and fuck OFF.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 09, 2021, 07:02:23 PM
I'm surprised Johnson hasn't got involved in this, given he's using criticism of a charity for not being pro-Churchill enough as his latest culture war distraction. Maybe coming out for Chubby Brown is a bit extreme even for his supporters.

Or it's a non-story.

Brown has had one booking cancelled, which means he only has a mere 60 gigs arranged between now and the end of 2022.

As mentioned previously, there have been a (small) number of venues that have cancelled Brown's gigs for similar reasons and the bans don't always remain in place (e.g. he's playing a Newcastle venue that 'banned' him for 2 years or less).

idunnosomename

he's playing the end of Blackpool North Pier tomorrow, also 15 Oct, and 4 Dec. but then the 3 piers are owned by total cunts.

here's one story about them being profiteering cunts:
https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/crime/blackpool-pier-owners-sentenced-over-refurbishing-asbestos-lined-arcade-while-open-public-2889741

Mr Banlon

Piers are definitely cunt magnets
Wellington Pier, Yarmouth :  "The entertainer Jim Davidson took over the lease between 1996 and 2002, but was unable to halt the pier's deterioration and it was eventually taken over by the present owners, Family Amusements Ltd."
Also, Piers Morgan.

Kankurette

Brown deserves to be pushed off the end of one. I love piers, don't want cunt comedians ruining them. He's pretty big in Blackpool. The first time I heard of him was when I went there as a kid.

Tbh I'm tired of culture war bollocks too, it's a distraction.

beanheadmcginty

Might be worth trying to do the old "Al Capone got done for tax avoidance" style loophole trick and report him to trading standards because he looks a little bit more than chubby these days. Also not brown.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 09, 2021, 05:28:50 PM
It's beautifully spelt, I'll grant you that. Otherwise, it's disturbingly disproportionate bilious frothing poison and I hope he feels better soon.

Well you've got what you wanted so fair enough, eh?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on September 09, 2021, 04:49:18 PMTo be precise, Liddle said that he decided not to be a teacher because he'd have been balls-deep in underage teenage girls. Not in those exact words, but his intent was pretty clear.

Oh, very clear indeed...

Quote from: ProvanFan on September 09, 2021, 05:08:10 PMI'll need to see Liddle's nonce certificate, please. If you're unable to produce this I'll inform him he can expect your apology.

Will this do?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,88391.msg4630781.html#msg4630781

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Kankurette on September 09, 2021, 06:27:58 PM
You mean the same kind of thing Chubby Brown spouts. But it's not aimed at you so of course you're cool with it.

Well, Chubby Brown spouts his unpleasantness from the perspective of a figure who is readily identifiable as a massive twat, his stage persona is all about looking, talking and acting like a stupid childish twat, everyone in the room understands that these are the perspectives of a cartoonishly twatty twat - and it doesn't tend to be spitefully and personally directed towards a particular individual. Other than that, yeah, the same.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 10, 2021, 02:23:32 AM
Well you've got what you wanted so fair enough, eh?

In what regard, sorry?

The quote that seems to have formed the latest red line for another petulant hysteric, "racism on stage is different from racism in the workplace", was a quick and breezy reaction to an inordinately complex question, but I meant in the way that eg violence onstage is different from violence in the workplace, or any kind of moral evil is different onstage than in the workplace. We have a very different set of negotiations and interactions with a character on a theatre stage than we have towards a real person in our daily life. This seemed fairly uncontroversial, sorry if it wasn't sufficiently clear, it may have warranted cross-examination rather than a tantrum, but that's where we're at.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 10, 2021, 12:23:50 PM
Well, Chubby Brown spouts his unpleasantness from the perspective of a figure who is readily identifiable as a massive twat, his stage persona is all about looking, talking and acting like a stupid childish twat, everyone in the room understands that these are the perspectives of a cartoonishly twatty twat - and it doesn't tend to be spitefully and personally directed towards a particular individual. Other than that, yeah, the same.

In what regard, sorry?

The quote that seems to have formed the latest red line for another petulant hysteric, "racism on stage is different from racism in the workplace", was a quick and breezy reaction to an inordinately complex question, but I meant in the way that eg violence onstage is different from violence in the workplace, or any kind of moral evil is different onstage than in the workplace. We have a very different set of negotiations and interactions with a character on a theatre stage than we have towards a real person in our daily life. This seemed fairly uncontroversial, sorry if it wasn't sufficiently clear, it may have warranted cross-examination rather than a tantrum, but that's where we're at.

I think there is much sense exhibited in this post.

Bernice

Try and find a difference between simulated on-stage violence and a man making lazy n**ger jokes to an appreciative audience. Go on, I dare you.

stonkers

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 09, 2021, 11:53:59 PM
Brown has had one booking cancelled, which means he only has a mere 60 gigs arranged between now and the end of 2022.

And Chubby GC has oer 30! The Chubby economy is healthy as ever.

lazyhour

Unfortunately racism on stage (or on TV, etc), even when meant not to be taken seriously, has a powerful insidious effect. The character of Ting Tong in Little Britain led to East Asian schoolkids getting a cruel new nickname bellowed in their faces. There's many a racist comment or joke presented as harmless banter that ends up written on a note wrapped around a brick. This really shouldn't need to be spelled out to anyone.

boki

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 09, 2021, 11:53:59 PM
Or it's a non-story.

As mentioned previously, there have been a (small) number of venues that have cancelled Brown's gigs for similar reasons and the bans don't always remain in place (e.g. he's playing a Newcastle venue that 'banned' him for 2 years or less).

I know it's a non-story, but so are much of the stories that the right use for their culture war distractions. To them it doesn't matter if something is an issue or even true so long as it can be used to get people on side.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 06, 2021, 12:48:19 AM
it's just so desolate, most of browns jokes were horrid basic club jokes that nobody even claimed to own, so this tribute guy is just admitting defeat.

Yeah there's something about the depth of desolation that really speaks to me and all.

"Surely you aren't going to see this elderly man do some material that is entirely without merit - you are going for the performance right? The atmosphere? The way he tells 'em?"

"No no, the routines about mothers in law rooted firmly in the mid-'70s is exactly what we want, and the mouthpiece delivering them is of no concern to us"

"...right, well I'd better take advantage of that for a few quid and start a Roy "Chubby" Brown tribute act then"

It's just... I don't know. Beyond bleak. I wonder if the tribute guy gets bookings.