Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:15:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Culture war storm in teacup over Roy Chubby Brown event cancellation [merged]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 05, 2021, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

the one front centre looks like they've just lost a scrap.

Fambo Number Mive

Zetetic

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 07, 2021, 05:09:32 PM
a single venue called the Sheffield City Trust
Why would you call a venue, a "Trust"?

But perhaps you think a hospital is a "Trust", and the sickness runs deep.

Video Game Fan 2000

What if a Roy Chubby Brown tribute act was James Bond? He'd introduce himself saying "the names Cunt, Insufferable Cunt" wouldn't 'e?

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 07, 2021, 05:20:55 PM
the one front centre looks like they've just lost a scrap.
Yeah, chippy scraps

jobotic

Here AT, what do you think any black staff should do if they don't like working somewhere that puts on a show about fucking nig-nogs? Or any stupid bitches with sloppy cunts for that matter?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 07, 2021, 06:11:30 PM
Could we merge the two Chubby Brown threads?

I can if you don't mind, yeah. I didn't realise there was an existing one when I moved the other to CC, and by the time I caught on, I got the impression that they had separate chats going on, but I'll merge em now.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Zetetic on September 07, 2021, 06:45:50 PM
Why would you call a venue, a "Trust"?

I haven't, didn't, and wouldn't. The OP did, hence my correction, and hence the quotes that I quoted.

Quote from: jobotic on September 07, 2021, 09:27:14 PM
Here AT, what do you think any black staff should do if they don't like working somewhere that puts on a show about fucking nig-nogs? Or any stupid bitches with sloppy cunts for that matter?

Is that what the show is about? Is there any evidence that this has happened in this case? Does it make a difference that they are black? I'd say they should do the same as any Christian vegans who work in a venue that puts on a Deicide show. Make your objections known, protest even, write a letter, maybe arrange not to be working on the night in question, or just go to work and rise above it, there are plenty of options before you get to banning things.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 07, 2021, 08:47:54 PM
What if a Roy Chubby Brown tribute act was James Bond? He'd introduce himself saying "the names Cunt, Insufferable Cunt" wouldn't 'e?

I wonder what James Bond would make of Roy Chubby Brown's act. He'd probably find it crude and for the "lower orders" but agree with the sentiments behind the jokes.

Video Game Fan 2000

James Bond would have a full set of Chubby Brown VHS tape and put them on in bed do big drunk brays. This is what happens after he shags all the Bond girls.

Except the David Niven James Bond who'd just strangle Chubby Brown to death.

lazyhour

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 08, 2021, 01:01:27 PM
I haven't, didn't, and wouldn't. The OP did, hence my correction, and hence the quotes that I quoted.

Is that what the show is about? Is there any evidence that this has happened in this case? Does it make a difference that they are black? I'd say they should do the same as any Christian vegans who work in a venue that puts on a Deicide show. Make your objections known, protest even, write a letter, maybe arrange not to be working on the night in question, or just go to work and rise above it, there are plenty of options before you get to banning things.

If someone cracked racist jokes in the office, should BAME colleagues try to make sure they're not present when the joke-teller is in? Where do you draw the line at allowing for hate speech and recommending that its victims just try to avoid it or rise above it?

Edit: further, if someone was fired for making racist jokes, would you think that appropriate? Or should the person's bosses avoid hearing the jokes, or rise above it?

One more thought: Is racism on a stage different to racism in the workplace? Should it be treated completely differently? If so, why?

Magnum Valentino

When you merge a thread, what happens? Do all the posts copy over and appear in date order, in-between others, or does the bigger thread overwrite the weeer thread ? How's it work?!

Beagle 2

I remember being introduced to the joys of Chubby Brown by my next door neighbour when I was about ten. He was from a family of devout Mormons who inexplicably thought it was fine to sit around watching Chubby Brown videos with their kids and their neighbours' kids. I thought it was really unpleasant and the whole thing completely bemused me. Was it just that he did swears? One for the thickos.

I wouldn't bother trying to censor him, we're talking about an event only for the slimiest of pond scum here. Elevating it into an oven-ready GB News thing just drags in all your basic anti-woke twats who would walk out of the theatre anyway after he said "smelly fanny" for the seventeenth time in place of a punchline.

Kankurette

I just don't find him funny. I watched a video of him once on a German work experience trip when the dickhead bus driver put it on, and I didn't laugh once. It was just 'lol wimmen gays am I right'. Like, why is a black person funny just cos they're black? Why is a gay person funny just cos they're gay?

Kankurette

Nonce Liddle now defending him in the Spectator. OK, maybe I'm wrong as I haven't read the article and don't want to, but this IS the Spectator and culture wars are their bread and butter.

jobotic

Yeah but what's Tommy Robinson Chubby Brown said that's actually racist?

Well? Can't answer?

See.

madhair60

imagine if chubby brown was having the living shit kicked out of him and he was covering his face going "no! no more kicking, no! please! my face! it hurts! no more, please! no more! it hurts so much! please! no! no more!"

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: lazyhour on September 08, 2021, 07:22:52 PM
If someone cracked racist jokes in the office, should BAME colleagues try to make sure they're not present when the joke-teller is in? Where do you draw the line at allowing for hate speech and recommending that its victims just try to avoid it or rise above it?
Edit: further, if someone was fired for making racist jokes, would you think that appropriate? Or should the person's bosses avoid hearing the jokes, or rise above it? One more thought: Is racism on a stage different to racism in the workplace? Should it be treated completely differently? If so, why?

These are good questions, questions for all of us. I make no claim to have any serious answers; my initial response is it depends how funny the jokes are, so I'm probably not the best to ask. But presumably if it's targeted and spiteful, if the attitude behind it is intended to belittle, isolate and frighten, if people have complained and it keeps happening, it needs further discussion and steps may need to be taken. However, on balance I'd say yes racism on stage is different from racism in the workplace, because I think anything happening on stage has a degree of distance from reality. Within the parameters of incitement to violence etc.

Is Liddle a nonce?

Endicott

Liddle claimed to be a nonce, in print, probably for the lolz, but never-the-less the name has stuck. Which is fair enough, any insult directed at Liddle isn't big enough to adequately describe how big a cunt he is.

Catalogue Trousers

To be precise, Liddle said that he decided not to be a teacher because he'd have been balls-deep in underage teenage girls. Not in those exact words, but his intent was pretty clear.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 09, 2021, 04:31:00 PM
I'd say yes racism on stage is different from racism in the workplace

Speaking as someone with lifelong ADHD with endless swirling tangles of thoughts which cause nerve-scraping difficulties in decision making as well as learning difficulties, sleepless anxiety episodes and waves of fatiguing depression, I'd still opt for spending the rest of my days suffering that over enduring five minutes dealing with the sort of absolute fucking tripe that festers inside your head.

The great dollops of horse shit semantics and whataboutery you slather across every discussion in place of any sort of basic human empathy is staggering and it baffles me how you're able to spend your life driving a big privileged monster truck over the suffering of anyone else who isn't you whilst yelling out the fuckin window about how they could have avoided getting run over. Deeply unpleasant behaviour from a very nasty and unsympathetic person. I would pity you if I could be arsed to summon the energy but as it stands I just think you're a twat.

ProvanFan

I'll need to see Liddle's nonce certificate, please. If you're unable to produce this I'll inform him he can expect your apology.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 08, 2021, 01:01:27 PMMake your objections known, protest even

Surely the ultimate goal of these two actions would be to get it banned? But you're for them and against banning? I can't follow your logic.

I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand I like free speech and the thought of one or two racist comedians knocking about doesn't bother me that much, I'm guessing most racist comedians are either dead or have bent to the will of the market and changed their act so having one or two remnants left still operating is almost quaint.

But a customer has basically declined the services of an act which is the definition of a free market and I can't see a problem with that.

I'm curious as to the hateful use of terms like nig nog and such. Isn't that illegal or at least skirting the edge of legality at the least? Does it have to be directed at an individual for the police to get involved?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Bernice

Why the fuck should any venue put on a Chubby Brown gig? Or rather, why shouldn't they choose not to?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: lazyhour on September 08, 2021, 07:22:52 PMOne more thought: Is racism on a stage different to racism in the workplace? Should it be treated completely differently? If so, why?

I'm wondering if banning Chubby is common, like does he have plenty more venues and cities to ply his trade still? If so and if he's still as racist as ever that means this stuff is going on unabated.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Kankurette on September 08, 2021, 09:27:58 PM
lol wimmen

Years ago I watched a bit of Chubby and for reasons I've never quite worked out he referred to wimmin as "split arse". What's going on there?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 09, 2021, 05:14:20 PM
I'm wondering if banning Chubby is common, like does he have plenty more venues and cities to ply his trade still? If so and if he's still as racist as ever that means this stuff is going on unabated.

As I posted previously, venues have been cancelling Brown every time he's toured for the last several years - e.g. 2015-19 - for very similar reasons as this venue. Not massive amounts admittedly, but there has been a number and - lo and behold - the usual free speech argument gets made. So this does very much need to seen in the context of what's happened before, rather than the one case.

It's worth mentioning that these 'bans' aren't always permanent and Brown subsequently does play the venue later on - I think this has happened at least three times..

It's also worth mentioning that in at least one case, the press reported that people questioned that why weren't other acts weren't cancelled - and this was picked up by Chortle. IIRC, I think the venue was in Swansea and Jim Davidson was still going to be able to play. Going from memory, in that case, the venue said that Brown didn't reflect its values - so did that mean all other acts did?