Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,204
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:03:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vicariously Feeling Like A Character While Watching A Movie?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 05, 2021, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

You know, when you're watching a movie, and when something bad happens to the main character, YOU feel it; almost as if it was happening to you. Sometimes you have to think, "This is not happening to me", but then you can get into movies where there's a scene or story that reminds you of what you're going through, or have gone through.

It doesn't have to be the protagonist, but it might be just as interesting if you can name a support actor who you're "in".

samadriel

I've got a bad habit of feeling like Bond after seeing the better Bond movies. I can't even drive a car!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

ProvanFan

fucking ponderous

When I saw Nightcrawler I left feeling extremely confident. I've told this to people and it scared them

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

zomgmouse

MortSahlFan

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 07, 2021, 02:14:22 AM
does this not happen with all narratives

It depends on the viewer, who sometimes could be very detached. But it also depends on the movie. If it's some piece of shit, I doubt anyone can empathize with a character. But in a great movie, I sometimes get lost in it. You know its a great movie when you don't want it to end.

holyzombiejesus

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 07, 2021, 02:39:49 PM
It depends on the viewer, who sometimes could be very detached. But it also depends on the movie. If it's some piece of shit, I doubt anyone can empathize with a character. But in a great movie, I sometimes get lost in it. You know its a great movie when you don't want it to end.

I think in some films you're meant to be watching from the outside at the character, depends where the director wants you I suppose, but I'd say you're not really meant to identify with Rupert Pupkin or Travis Bickle more look at them in horror mouth agape. In fact I'd say in a lot of Scorsese's films you're supposed to be watching them, but not in their shoes.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 07, 2021, 03:13:21 PM
I think in some films you're meant to be watching from the outside at the character, depends where the director wants you I suppose, but I'd say you're not really meant to identify with Rupert Pupkin or Travis Bickle more look at them in horror mouth agape. In fact I'd say in a lot of Scorsese's films you're supposed to be watching them, but not in their shoes.

Yeah, definitely not those movies. But I've never seen a Scorsese movie with heart, either.