Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seasonal veg

Started by bgmnts, September 05, 2021, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Do any of you folk make a genuine effort to only buy local, seasonal produce? Obviously there is no ethical consumption under capitalism etc but as of today I'm going to try to only purchase fruit and veg that is seasonal at least, local and organic if possible. 

I now have a chart which informs me what the seasonal veg is for each month/quarter and will need to research where I can get fresh produce from. Is this going to be very expensive and a mega pain in the arse? Do local farms sell to consumers or mostly wholesale to supermarkets and restaurants etc?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 07:34:14 PM
Do any of you folk make a genuine effort to only buy local, seasonal produce? Obviously there is no ethical consumption under capitalism etc but as of today I'm going to try to only purchase fruit and veg that is seasonal at least, local and organic if possible. 

I now have a chart which informs me what the seasonal veg is for each month/quarter and will need to research where I can get fresh produce from. Is this going to be very expensive and a mega pain in the arse? Do local farms sell to consumers or mostly wholesale to supermarkets and restaurants etc?

Typically it should be cheaper but in reality supermarkets due to collective buying power will make none local, none seasonal veg cheaper I'm afraid.  In Brum we have a wholesale market in which you can loads of stuff cheaper in bulk but the provenance is often very questionable because they are all trying provide everything for the lowest price.

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on September 05, 2021, 08:42:57 PM
You could try places like these

https://www.bigbarn.co.uk/places/Merthyr-Tydfil/Merthyr-Tydfil/Farmers-Market/
http://www.localfarmmarkets.org/UKwales.php

Cheers! Just as I thought they'd bloody miles away but good to know it's all there somewhere.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 05, 2021, 09:00:53 PM
Typically it should be cheaper but in reality supermarkets due to collective buying power will make none local, none seasonal veg cheaper I'm afraid.  In Brum we have a wholesale market in which you can loads of stuff cheaper in bulk but the provenance is often very questionable because they are all trying provide everything for the lowest price.

Aye that was my worry but ho hum the extra cost is worth it I suppose.

Dex Sawash

Seagull is a vegetable in January and February

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 09:05:51 PM
Aye that was my worry but ho hum the extra cost is worth it I suppose.

Then yep go for it.  Farmers markets and local farms are the best way to go also perhaps look into ways of preserving, storing and making things that can make the most out of what you buy - pickling, drying and making things into dished (like soup) that can be then frozen.

Sebastian Cobb

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 05, 2021, 09:31:33 PM
If you just want to help local businesses then fine but the idea local consumption is miles better environmentally is kind of bunk.
https://ourworldindata.org/environmental-impacts-of-food#you-want-to-reduce-the-carbon-footprint-of-your-food-focus-on-what-you-eat-not-whether-your-food-is-local

Well it's better than nothing isn't it? I suppose maybe I should just widen it to UK based so nothing is air or ship freighted in?

poo

THE WORLD OF PICKLED VEG 👍

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 09:43:04 PM
Well it's better than nothing isn't it? I suppose maybe I should just widen it to UK based so nothing is air or ship freighted in?

That's the point, is it, or are you setting yourself a challenge that makes limited difference?

You'll likely be surprised at how little actually comes in by air freight:

And I think because of the volumes involved parts of transit by boat are negligible when compared to the domestic logistics which will happen to some extent anyway.

There's a whole series about it here that's a good read:
https://ourworldindata.org/environmental-impacts-of-food#

flotemysost

Doesn't tick the "local" box and not necessarily the cheapest option, but a few people I know have an Oddbox subscripton: https://www.oddbox.co.uk/box-page?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75Kd89_o8gIVjtPtCh3hEQ69EAAYASAAEgKUsPD_BwE

You do need to do a fair bit of cooking to use it all up in time though.

Buelligan

Maybe consider putting your name down for an allotment?  I know you've enjoyed growing things in the past, this could be the next step.  Get down the council and ask those fucks.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 05, 2021, 09:51:32 PM
That's the point, is it, or are you setting yourself a challenge that makes limited difference?

You'll likely be surprised at how little actually comes in by air freight:

And I think because of the volumes involved parts of transit by boat are negligible when compared to the domestic logistics which will happen to some extent anyway.

There's a whole series about it here that's a good read:
https://ourworldindata.org/environmental-impacts-of-food#

I mean limited difference is better than no difference isn't it?

And yeah allotment would be a good way to go but obviously there are like hundreds of old cunts on that waiting list so that's definitely a long term goal.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 10:39:40 PM

Well it depends, I assume you're still bound by temporal factors like the rest of us. The question is, if this takes extra time and effort, could you be doing something else that makes a significant, non-negligible difference.

bgmnts

Nah atm I'm a part time student so I have bags of time but even if I didnt, what would you suggest one changes?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 11:38:42 PM
Nah atm I'm a part time student so I have bags of time but even if I didnt, what would you suggest one changes?

In terms of food I would suggest reading the article I posted as that would suggest where the biggest differences can be made rather than approaching the problem from what is possibly a faulty premise.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 05, 2021, 11:54:45 PM
In terms of food I would suggest reading the article I posted as that would suggest where the biggest differences can be made rather than approaching the problem from what is possibly a faulty premise.

Well I'm already plant based and don't drink coffee anymore so I don't know what else to cut out in order to satisfy this beyond eating more locally which would cut down on the transport emissions.

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2021, 10:39:40 PM

And yeah allotment would be a good way to go but obviously there are like hundreds of old cunts on that waiting list so that's definitely a long term goal.

I agree, limited difference is far better than no difference.  Apart from anything, we know that all big retailers keep an eye on what they're shifting, if they see people not buying produce that's brought in thousands of miles, they'll stop selling it, across a whole market, this could make a big difference.  It's like most kinds of collective action, small differences, put together can make change.

Also, get on that waiting list, send yourself a nice surprise for the future (when you get a letter telling you you've got one).  Use the interim to learn what to do, maybe volunteer to help others.  Do it bgmnts, if you change your mind, you can always let someone else have your plot.  But it could be one of the most fulfilling things you'll ever do.