Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,466
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Conceited songs

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 06, 2021, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://youtu.be/lyHSjv9gxlE - The sort of thing Fry & Laurie were ripping into here.

1. Jimmy Barnes with WHOOOAAAHHH WERKIN KARS MANNN. 'Blue jeans in his veins'
https://youtu.be/erSJGrpfnOI

2. The puke making grasping desperation of Razorlight - America
https://youtu.be/V9NhncU5_CE

3. James 'Born in 1974' Blunt - 1973
https://youtu.be/uWeqeQkjLto

4. Arctic Monkeys - Ritz to the Rubble. Yep, we get it. No, we all get it by now, from all the previous tracks.... Although I find that album a lot more conceited than most people seem to.
https://youtu.be/H8bNHRVwzyA

5. Bachman Turner & Overdrive - TERKEN KERRA BIZZ NESSSS, got to love the energy thrown at a song about basically carrying out those tasks, boy, we gotta carry those tasks out right guys? Get that shit done, administer the tasks, stop for a sarnie, have a piss, pick nose, bully someone then back to BIZZZ NESSS
https://youtu.be/NCIUf8eYPqA

PlanktonSideburns

Blackman turner overdrive highlight how effortless zz top do that sort of thing

bgmnts

George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone.

jobotic

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 06, 2021, 10:27:52 AM
Blackman turner overdrive highlight how effortless zz top do that sort of thing

I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide.

Custard

Cher's Strong Enough. The follow up single to her surprise hit Believe. It sounds exactly like her surprise hit Believe. With heavy dollops of I Will Survive chucked in for the heartbroken Mumsnet crowd, and Glinner

It's like when one hit wonders would suddenly have a hit, and then their very next release was almost exactly the same as their hit. Does it ever work? Or is it mostly people just laughing and saying "that sounds exactly the same as the other one!".

Can't blame em for trying, I guess. But you'd kind of expect more from a genuine star, like Cher

sevendaughters

what I will say in favour of America by Razorlight is that it was written by the drummer and its success absolutely demolished the fragile ego of Johnny Borrell.

Custard

I will always equate America to working in a factory soldering bits of windings and hearing it probably five times a day, every day, for what felt like years. But was probably more two months. They'll make a horror film about it one day

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 06, 2021, 11:46:56 AM
I will always equate America to working in a factory soldering bits of windings and hearing it probably five times a day, every day, for what felt like years. But was probably more two months. They'll make a horror film about it one day

my 'factory classic' is A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey. 10pm every night while I was working on a conveyor belt of generic ice pops.

pigamus

There's Joni Mitchell's Twisted - she sings about knowing she was a genius at about the age of three - you know she's not really joking either

Custard

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 06, 2021, 11:58:08 AM
my 'factory classic' is A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey. 10pm every night while I was working on a conveyor belt of generic ice pops.

See, that sounds more bearable. But I guess hearing any song so often, in an already depressing and stilted environment = Hell on Earth

I worked in Millets the camping shop in the late nineties, and they had three tapes, with about ten songs on each, that they'd play on a neverending loop. To add to the cuntery, the tape player was made to only play those company made tapes. Absolutely honking

I must have heard Honky Cat by Elton at least 400 times during my time there

Though it was worse from November to January, as they had one Christmas tape. It genuinely felt like torture at times. Really horrible time

EDIT - I should add that they only played one of the tapes each day, not all three, so it was literally around ten songs being repeated over and over and over. Plus they wouldn't bother changing the tape for weeks at a time. I guess cos the manager couldn't hear it sat in his fucking office, drinking his Vimto

Video Game Fan 2000

Saw footage of The Hold Steady covering History Lesson Part 2 on some talk show or summat, and the singer was gesturing at himself and opening his arms for all the "we" statements in the song

Desolate

popcorn

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 06, 2021, 11:25:25 AM
It's like when one hit wonders would suddenly have a hit, and then their very next release was almost exactly the same as their hit. Does it ever work? Or is it mostly people just laughing and saying "that sounds exactly the same as the other one!".

Can't blame em for trying, I guess. But you'd kind of expect more from a genuine star, like Cher

Oops I Did It Again is exactly the same song as Hit Me Baby One More Time.

Mr Farenheit

It worked for The Kinks as well, and PSY

Conceited song: Mannish Boy

purlieu

No Mercy's 'Where Do You Go?' was followed by the near-identical 'Please Don't Go', both of which were top five hits. ATB followed '9pm (Till I Come)' with its major key equivalent 'Don't Stop' which followed it into the top three. The shameless cash-in single definitely worked for some artists.

Video Game Fan 2000

badaids

That fucking horrible song 'Bitch' by that awful women where she goes on about how horrible she is and how we all love it really.  This is my factory song that I had to listen to what seemed like 50 times a day.

Quote from: pigamus on September 06, 2021, 12:07:50 PM
There's Joni Mitchell's Twisted - she sings about knowing she was a genius at about the age of three - you know she's not really joking either

I think that's her brand: a total rejection of false modesty and humility in favour of asserting her genius status. Partially it's a fuck you to her mother, who never rated her work.

Paul Simon also has this dubious quality: he moaned when his first solo album didn't sell a million, and all his work shouts "aren't I clever, unlike you oiks."

pupshaw

Where to start with Todd Rundgren?

Golden Goose
Fair Warning
Don't You Ever Learn?
Too Far Gone

These are just the most blatant ones from his first few albums

I love him to bits, but he has such a chip on his shoulder about how he has the right to do whatever he wants to do,
including songs telling us about how he's going to do just that.

Icehaven

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 06, 2021, 11:58:08 AM

Mine is Millennium by Robbie Williams while packing Parcel Force lorries at Coventry airport at 1am. I mean I'd have hated it anyway but I double hate it because of that.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone.

YES

man never new a days  badness in life

Mr Banlon

Supertramp - Goodbye Stranger

badaids

I also think that loads of Billy Joel songs fit in this category:  Always a Woman, Just the Way You Are, My Life just off the top off my head.

PlanktonSideburns

Attilla is the only honest thing billy Joel ever did

popcorn

I don't think I understand the premise of this thread and I need it explained to me

boki

Quote from: badaids on September 06, 2021, 08:36:39 PM
That fucking horrible song 'Bitch' by that awful women where she goes on about how horrible she is and how we all love it really.  This is my factory song that I had to listen to what seemed like 50 times a day.
Todd In The Shadows did a good vid on that one.  Think it turned out that she's pandering to the christian right these days IIRC.

Brundle-Fly

An old "let's dismantle the lyrics" chestnut, but You're So Vain?.  You could interpret it as maybe the relationship just didn't work out? How DARE they move on. 

popcorn

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 07, 2021, 03:03:48 PM
An old "let's dismantle the lyrics" chestnut, but You're So Vain?.  You could interpret it as maybe the relationship just didn't work out? How DARE they move on.

Come on, "You're so vain / you probably think this song is about you" is one of the greatest dickhead lyrics ever. There's no getting out of that one.

Brundle-Fly

Surely if he was vain, he wouldn't think this disparaging song was about him?

selectivememory

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 06, 2021, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: pigamus on September 06, 2021, 12:07:50 PM

I think that's her brand: a total rejection of false modesty and humility in favour of asserting her genius status. Partially it's a fuck you to her mother, who never rated her work.

You guys know that Joni's version isn't the original, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6OYSDYuvoA

Not that it doesn't fit her to a T. It's a great closer for that album and does feel like it could have been written by her.