Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Conceited songs

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 06, 2021, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 07, 2021, 05:39:26 PM
Surely if he was vain, he wouldn't think this disparaging song was about him?

Yep. Those lyrics think they're a clever trap but if someone is truly vain, they won't think they've done anything wrong in a relationship. "Why would Carly Simon be writing a nasty song about perfect me?"

Kankurette

Quote from: badaids on September 06, 2021, 08:36:39 PM
That fucking horrible song 'Bitch' by that awful women where she goes on about how horrible she is and how we all love it really.  This is my factory song that I had to listen to what seemed like 50 times a day.
Meredith Brooks. I Need is much better, if only because it mentions Todd Rundgren.
Quote from: idunnosomename on September 07, 2021, 02:41:26 PM
any Manowar song
Other bands play. Manowar, though? They kill.

idunnosomename

never understand why that isn't "slay".

I think Manowar have a couple of really good songs btw. but not many beyond that

I don't think there's ever been or ever will be a more conceited song than this, courtesy of the grifter who "wrote" the James Bond theme. If this song had a face it would be impossible not to punch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYLbVS-QyZA

Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me) seems pretty conceited. In the words of Steve Harley himself:

QuoteWe split up because they wanted to to take my leadership away. They wanted to dilute it and Make Me Smile is saying 'Come back one day and I'll laugh.' It was arrogant but I knew they were wrong - they didn't understand the group like I did.

Pancake

Can't remember what I was listening to as I thumbed pucks of frozen garlic butter into pattys of mechanically recovered chicken, probably the sound of human entropy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: popcorn on September 07, 2021, 02:25:35 PM
I don't think I understand the premise of this thread and I need it explained to me

Conceitedness.

For instance, trying to attach yourself to a zeitgeist or movement in a nakedly cynical way

Chicory

'Today's The Day' - Sean Maguire

A dreadful gor blimey thumbs under the braces post Albarn rocket of piss.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 07, 2021, 10:11:25 PM
Conceitedness.

For instance, trying to attach yourself to a zeitgeist or movement in a nakedly cynical way

Is that conceited?

Custard

Quote from: Chicory on September 08, 2021, 08:54:09 AM

I remember the NME gleefully reporting that only four people turned up to one of his gigs. These days I just find that a bit sad

Kankurette

Menswear have a lot to answer for.

Is soap actors doing pop songs still a thing? They were everywhere in the '90s. Some bloke off Emnerdale even did a cover of She's Gone with Destiny's Child as his backing vocalists.

Icehaven

Quote from: Kankurette on September 08, 2021, 03:56:32 PM
Menswear have a lot to answer for.

Is soap actors doing pop songs still a thing? They were everywhere in the '90s. Some bloke off Emnerdale even did a cover of She's Gone with Destiny's Child as his backing vocalists.

Given Donimakyafeelgoood was that last thing I remember Stefan Dennis doing I was frankly fucking astonished to discover he's still in Neighbours to this day.

Kankurette

At least the Aussies gave us Kylie. And a couple of Delta Goodrem's songs are pretty good. British soap stars are generally terrible. Sid Owen doing reggae, for fuck's sake.

As for songs that are up their own hole, how about this? Actually, the entire musical is up its own hole. Sting trying to be more Geordie than Steve Bruce drinking Newcastle Brown Ale while sitting on the Angel of the North. With a magpie on his head. I'd rather listen to Chris Rea tbh.

Captain Z

I can't quite decide if it fits the topic but I keep wanting to nominate that "Once I was seven years old" song.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phantom_power on September 08, 2021, 08:57:35 AM
Is that conceited?

Well, I more mean it in 'a conceit' rather than narcissism.

Fucked up on balance. Should have just called it Cynical music. I'll get me coat.

Kankurette

Quote from: Captain Z on September 08, 2021, 10:05:48 PM
I can't quite decide if it fits the topic but I keep wanting to nominate that "Once I was seven years old" song.
I hate that twee shite so very much.

ProvanFan

I don't remember this at all. And I love mentioning Sean Maguire.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Captain Z on September 08, 2021, 10:05:48 PM

I think that song is so utterly fucking dumb and banal and completely the sort of idea only a moron or child would ever think of that it doesn't convey an air of cynicism. You are right to bring it up somewhere or other though.

non capisco

Quote from: boki on September 07, 2021, 02:50:24 PM
Todd In The Shadows did a good vid on that one. 

Considering starting a Todd In The Shadows thread, I think he's superb. His latest Trainwreckords post made me fall in love with 'Calling Occupants...' by Carpenters, a song that for me was previously just sort of floating around in the cultural mulch.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 09, 2021, 05:30:31 PM
Well, I more mean it in 'a conceit' rather than narcissism.

Fucked up on balance. Should have just called it Cynical music. I'll get me coat.

Every song Ed Sheeran has ever written?

Yussef Dent

What's Your Flava? By Craig David had hallmarks of trying to break America, it sounded a bit like something Justin Timberlake would put out. Great Club Singer song on Shooting Stars sung behind the Slender Loris if I remember correctly.

markburgle

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 09, 2021, 09:33:35 PM
I think that song is so utterly fucking dumb and banal and completely the sort of idea only a moron or child would ever think of that it doesn't convey an air of cynicism. You are right to bring it up somewhere or other though.

The conceited bit to me - and you might have to listen more closely than you'd like to catch it - is towards the end of the song when he starts trying out some vocal eccentricity by adding a forced "DA!" (as in "...seven years ollll-DA!) at the end of lines and just sounds like a wax-world Michael Jackson in need of new batteries

Kankurette

He sounds like he's having a massive poo.

Dr Rock

Quote from: non capisco on September 10, 2021, 12:48:57 AM
Considering starting a Todd In The Shadows thread, I think he's superb. His latest Trainwreckords post made me fall in love with 'Calling Occupants...' by Carpenters, a song that for me was previously just sort of floating around in the cultural mulch.

That was a great one, a take on the The Carpenters Passage album, which contains All You Get From Love Is A Love Song and Sweet Sweet Smile as well as the bloody brilliant Calling Occupants.

Recommend anything Todd In The Shadows does too. Do a thread.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 07, 2021, 05:39:26 PM
Surely if he was vain, he wouldn't think this disparaging song was about him?

Ah, but for the vain, no mensh is a bad mensh.

The logic doesn't quite work, though, since the song clearly is about him. However, I've always thought that was kind of the point: 'I know you'd fucking love it if I wrote a song about being heartbroken by you because you're an arrogant prick, but I've still ended up doing it anyway like a mug. Aaagh!'