Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rufus Hound Hounded

Started by Satchmo Distel, September 06, 2021, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
His Panto role as a character that people are inferring is apparently 'Asiatic' is causing him some blowback. He claims he had no idea about the 'yellowface' associations and the character is not meant to be Asian. His denials are entirely believable and his contrition is clearly sincere here:

https://twitter.com/RufusHound/status/1434928562222546944

Goldentony

this is what happens when you're one of those blokes who says "literally" all the time

neveragain

I'm not someone who generally dismisses claims of racism but the image in question doesn't look Asian at all...

Sebastian Cobb

Not seen the original photo, and have googled, is this the one?

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: neveragain on September 06, 2021, 10:01:35 PM
I'm not someone who generally dismisses claims of racism but the image in question doesn't look Asian at all...

For a second, my dumb brain thought it was Limmy in mascara before I realised it was Rufus Hound.

idunnosomename

I always mixed him up with Alex Riley, who is doing shit for CBBC now I think. good riddance

anyway playing a made-up fantasy person in a panto that's non-site specific isnt cultural appropriation

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 06, 2021, 10:11:56 PM
Not seen the original photo, and have googled, is this the one?

I think this is it. Jury's out.

Indomitable Spirit

this is the image people are objecting too. I dunno if I'm just knackered or simply cannot be arsed engaging in this endless culture wars horseshit anymore, but the whole thing seems like a bit of a reach to me. I suppose the outfit is a bit daft. Maybe they could retool the character and call him "Dave" and he wears a Superdry hoodie or summat.

Sebastian Cobb

Eyes aside (and I'm not sure I agree with the 'yellow face' assertion) isn't most of that get-up supposed to be Middle-Eastern?

Cold Meat Platter

If that's racist then 99% of goths are racist. The make up, not the clobber.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 06, 2021, 10:46:39 PM
If that's racist then 99% of goths are racist. The make up, not the clobber.

The clobber's worse in terms of caricatures, but then i suppose the detractors would be shooting directly for 'big panto'.

Cold Meat Platter

Of course now we're not far from 'shouldn't Abanazer be played by someone from the middle east?'
partridgeshrug.gif

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 06, 2021, 10:51:06 PM
Of course now we're not far from 'shouldn't Abanazer be played by someone from the middle east?'
partridgeshrug.gif

People were literally saying this under the the original New Theatre tweet (which has since been deleted)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you, as a white man, do Panto as 'foreign generically oriental stereotype' then you're inviting this.

Now, am I victim blaming or culprit blaming.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 06, 2021, 10:51:06 PM
partridgeshrug.gif

I reckon they're both bollocks but that's probably more legit, or the idea that pantomime caricature might be a bit crass and problematic is probably more legitimate than he's yellowfacing because he's borrowed Ronnie Spectors eye makeup.

Cold Meat Platter

Well we've not seen it yet, maybe it's a very nuanced portrayal.

Cold Meat Platter

This is Aladdin, right? So who's Widow Twanky and why aren't they catching shit? Or don't they have her in it anymore? Isn't everyone supposed to be Arabic?

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno, the last time I saw it the genie was unmistakably Robbin Williams.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 06, 2021, 10:45:01 PM
Eyes aside (and I'm not sure I agree with the 'yellow face' assertion) isn't most of that get-up supposed to be Middle-Eastern?
From Leicester like ?

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 06, 2021, 11:05:34 PM
This is Aladdin, right? So who's Widow Twanky and why aren't they catching shit? Or don't they have her in it anymore? Isn't everyone supposed to be Arabic?

Widow Twanky is played by "panto royalty" Bobby Crush.

From a quick survey of the full poster, there is actually quite ethnically diverse castlist. Mis-teeq's Sabrina Washington plays Jasmine and a lad called Joshian Omana plays Aladdin. However, neither of these actors are middle eastern either, so is that just as bad or slightly less bad than an (admittedly annoying) white man wearing a funny hat and mascara?

I really don't want to be one of those cunts who goes on about "selective outrage" and shite like that, but this really does seem like a big load of bollocks and we should probably ban the internet because of it.

Cold Meat Platter

I mean clearly panto is a big load of swingers, but some of these people are pretending they've never encountered it before.

bgmnts

Hang on isn't Aladdin Arabic??

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 11:27:54 PM

I think its genuinely one where no one knows for sure. I don't think there is an original. I think its supposed to be a Chinese tale, telling of Arabian origin but I don't think it can be traced outside of Europe.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna_Diyab wikipedia said it was added to the French version of 1001 Nights in 1710.

Indomitable Spirit

the SJWs want to ban this picture. it would be a shame if we call got it tattooed on our arses, wouldn't it? ;)

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 06, 2021, 11:35:21 PM
the SJWs want to ban this picture. it would be a shame if we call got it tattooed on our arses, wouldn't it? ;)

Boon or bane?

DrGreggles

Wait a minute, THAT'S NOT EVEN A REAL HORSE!

Brundle-Fly

One of my favourite Sir Bernard Chumley jokes, " ...and Michael Elphick was playing Baron Hardup in this panto and every time he stepped on stage the audience would all shout, "BOOOOOOOOO...n."

RicoMNKN

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 11:27:54 PM

Some people are attacking it on those grounds, too.
https://twitter.com/shreyza/status/1434574193065185290
(The deleted tweet is the announcement of Rufus, with that picture)

It doesn't seem a massive fuss by Twitter standards, tbh.  Can't see many people calling Rufus a racist, more questioning the tradition and the all-white cast.  I'm sure the tabloids are planning a culture wars story, though.

madhair60

racist piece of fucking shit