Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rufus Hound Hounded

Started by Satchmo Distel, September 06, 2021, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Wait til you find out Twanky is played by, a man!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 06, 2021, 10:51:06 PM
Of course now we're not far from 'shouldn't Abanazer be played by someone from the middle east?'
partridgeshrug.gif

And if they'd have chosen someone like Omid Djalili to play the genie people would have screamed tokenism.  You can't win.  Some people shouldn't be on the internet.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 06, 2021, 11:42:16 PM
One of my favourite Sir Bernard Chumley jokes, " ...and Michael Elphick was playing Baron Hardup in this panto and every time he stepped on stage the audience would all shout, "BOOOOOOOOO...n."

We spotted Michael Elphick at the Heineken Festival at Roundhay Park in 1995.  A friend of a friend pointed at him and screamed "BOOOONNNN!", the whole gesture reminiscent of Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion of The Body Snatchers.

Jock Macabre

This is how my ex-girlfriend used to do her eyes. Knew she was a fucking wrong'un.

Cold Meat Platter

What if everyone blacks up? I mean in the world?

Goldentony

it'll be aladdin fucking abanazar in the arse next

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 07, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
Wait til you find out Twanky is played by, a man!

Purely so they can get into the women cast members' dressing room, and wave their willy about. Outrageous.

phantom_power

He has said some left wing things in the past and criticised the government so of course some right wing twats will stir the culture war pot using him as the spoon

robhug

he's made a rod for his own back by engaging in this nonsense on that there twitter

phantom_power

One of the perils of giving a shit

turnstyle

I bet he's not even a real dog either. Fucking balls on this guy!

Dr Rock

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 07, 2021, 01:08:49 AM
What if everyone blacks up? I mean in the world?

New episode of Marvel show leaves fans 'baffled.'

MojoJojo

Panto is well known as the most progressive form of theatre.

idunnosomename

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 07, 2021, 10:47:55 AM
Panto is well known as the most progressive form of theatre.
oh no it isnt

Blinder Data

The world of pantomime is overdue a reckoning in terms of what is and is not appropriate in terms of portraying different ethnicities and cultures. However, I don't see why specifically Rufus Hound deserves to be shellacked over his participation in this production.

Would it have been more progressive to give the role of dangerous foreign baddy to someone with Arab heritage?

Male actors playing panto dames are not authentically playing a woman - there's another layer of self-aware performance for the audience to appreciate, because we all know we are watching a panto. The likes of Abanazar are first and foremost panto villains and make sense in that particular context. If you take the world of pantomime literally there's a whole heap of things you could angry about...

As always with these "outrages", what should be learned from this experience is to stop going on Twitter.

Famous Mortimer

Is that Rufus Hound in that picture? Blimey.

jobotic

Why is he doing that annoying quotation mark gesture?

So-called "Aladdin"

shiftwork2

Couldn't give a fuck about this.

alright cheers lads

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 07, 2021, 01:07:08 PM
The world of pantomime is overdue a reckoning in terms of what is and is not appropriate in terms of portraying different ethnicities and cultures. However, I don't see why specifically Rufus Hound deserves to be shellacked over his participation in this production.
The whole history of the Arabian Nights in literature, film, and the other arts is a long story of people exoticising middle-easterners as several contradictory stereotypes, but blaming Rufus is hardly the point when he is unlikely to have chosen which pantomime they put on. There are plenty of wholesome European pantomines like Babes in the Wood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Cinderella, Snow White, Peter Pan, Dick Whittington, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, Frozen, Mary Pooping, Entertaining Mr Sloane, etc. that involve nothing worse than infanticide, mild sexual assault, and short people of unspecified ethnicity.[nb]Pan does technically have native Americans but they're incidental to the plot and could be replaced by cub scouts or something.[/nb]

Capt.Midnight

He's called Rufus Hound, but does he even own any dogs? Absolute Cunt.

gib

it will sell more tickets now, cunt probably planned all this

beanheadmcginty