Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games with lots of mindless collecting

Started by beanheadmcginty, September 06, 2021, 11:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

My favourite way to relax is to put a podcast on and play a game where I can completely ignore the story missions and roam about the environment finding all the collectables that actual gamers complain about as adding nothing to the game. The recent Assassin's Creeds have been good for this, RDR2 was a standout too with its hunting. I've also just spent 3 days photographing all the cars in Forza Horizon 4. I think the two greatest examples of this I've ever played were Crackdown with its orbs and Just Cause 3 with the blowing up of buildings etc in occupied villages. Can anyone recommend me some more games where I can ignore the main story and just mindlessly collect things? I'm on Xbox and have gamepass.

bgmnts

Psychonauts 2 is essential playing for this.

Cold Meat Platter

Skyrim? You can get weapons racks in your house to display all the swords and that. Decorate your house with your plunder. Saw a let's play where a dude was trying to collect a set of all the clothing.

Minecraft?

evilcommiedictator

Terraria is good for that, there's tons of collecting and making pretty if you like that kind of thing.

Mobius

That's pretty much No Mans Sky. Explore aimlessly, collect every resource.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Mobius on September 06, 2021, 11:58:29 PM
That's pretty much No Mans Sky. Explore aimlessly, collect every resource.
Cannae get into it for some reason, even though the whole concept is something I've wanted for ages. Just downloaded the new update so might give it another go. Going Bzzzzzzzzz at rocks for ages.

madhair60

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 06, 2021, 11:37:58 PM
My favourite way to relax is to put a podcast on and play a game where I can completely ignore the story missions and roam about the environment finding all the collectables that actual gamers complain about as adding nothing to the game. The recent Assassin's Creeds have been good for this, RDR2 was a standout too with its hunting. I've also just spent 3 days photographing all the cars in Forza Horizon 4. I think the two greatest examples of this I've ever played were Crackdown with its orbs and Just Cause 3 with the blowing up of buildings etc in occupied villages. Can anyone recommend me some more games where I can ignore the main story and just mindlessly collect things? I'm on Xbox and have gamepass.

All three modern Tomb Raider games are brilliant for this. Saint's Row 4 has about 1000 "clusters" to collect and loads of other stuff to find on the map

Mobius

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 07, 2021, 12:03:12 AM
Cannae get into it for some reason, even though the whole concept is something I've wanted for ages. Just downloaded the new update so might give it another go. Going Bzzzzzzzzz at rocks for ages.

Heh, Same sadly. The concept appeals to me and every new update looks good then I reinstall it and get bored after zapping 100 identical rocks and plants. :(

Jerzy Bondov

Agree on Tomb Raider reboot series, I got 100% on the first one twice and loved it. The Mad Max game was great for this as well. Actually that game was well good

brat-sampson

Psychonauts 2 is like 60% collecting nonsense, 30% dialogue and 10% combat, so yeah, that.

Blue Jam

I fucking loved going orb hunting in Crackdown 3. Walking along the monorail and listening out for that incredibly satisfying noise. Still missed about 12 though :(

Going to have to recommend Subnautica again here. It's like No Man's Sky but underwater and good. In the second one you can build a jukebox in your base and go round collecting records for it.

Both MGSV and the last two Wolfenstein games allow you to go record collecting too. Well, 80's cassette tape collecting in two of those.

Prey is good for this as well. Finding all six of the hilariously dreadful Starbender Cycle novels is fun, so is getting the achievement for finding every human on the station as that forces you to explore every corner and find new stuff. Finally managed to platinum that one when I replayed it a couple of months ago.

Norton Canes

Er... Tranz Am?

Spent a lot of time in RDR collecting flowers. Gave the game a real Brokeback Mountain vibe.

Cerys

Quote from: Mobius on September 07, 2021, 12:16:44 AM
The concept appeals to me and every new update looks good then I reinstall it and get bored after zapping 100 identical rocks and plants. :(

That's probably because you didn't take a glance at the fancy ants

Timothy

Quote from: bgmnts on September 06, 2021, 11:40:44 PM
Psychonauts 2 is essential playing for this.

First one that came to mind.

Donut County is great as well. It's basically a game where you are a giant hole and have to collect stuff. Very short but fun game.

And maybe the Katamari games?

jonbob

Elite dangerous is my go to for listening to podcasts just fly around exploring/mining I haven't played it since they added in all the first person walking around bits, that aspect doesn't really interest me

Poobum

I'd say FF 12 has loads to collect, loved chaining enemies so they'd drop that one piece of rare loot. Once you've worked out the gambit system, combat is really smooth and enjoyable. All kinds of hunts and rare enemies to find as well. Gilgamesh's fishing rod. The bazaar where rare loot can be turned into ultra rare weapons, armours, and accessories.

batwings

I used to love collecting all the packages in the GTA 3 / Vice City / San Andreas games. It was a nice way to explore the world without it feeling aimless.

As to jonbob's post above, I also like collecting materials in Elite Dangerous. The Odyssey dlc has added way too many new things to gather though. It's an eternal grind.

Poobum

My favourite thing in Elite was mapping undiscovered systems. Took me hours of jumping and sun scooping to get out of mapped space though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Batman: Arkham... games have all the Riddler stuff. I think I found all of them in the first two games, but sacked off Arkham Knight, as there was just a ridiculous amount.

Pink Gregory

Any of the Lego games, but probably Lego Marvel - piss about a big open city smashing bins with your little yellow claws for studs and also you can fly

C_Larence

Everything. A game where you can play as literally everything, rolling around finding more things to be while listening to Alan Watts talk about how you're made of stardust or whatever.

https://youtu.be/JYHp8LwBUzo

Ham Bap

If you've never played No Mans Sky before it could be good for this sort of thing. Flying around aimlessly collecting stuff, minerals and whatnot.

BeardFaceMan

It's fun going to a planet in NMS to scan all the flora and fauna and then rename them all to have themed planets.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on September 07, 2021, 12:07:22 AM
Saint's Row 4 has about 1000 "clusters" to collect and loads of other stuff to find on the map
Yup, and I like how you upgrade everything you could possibly want to upgrade after you've collected about 3/4 of the clusters, so the rest of it is just a bit of a laugh. I remember one in a tunnel (and the lack of any height indication on the map) tricked me for a while, but I got em all.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 07, 2021, 09:21:08 AM
I fucking loved going orb hunting in Crackdown 3. Walking along the monorail and listening out for that incredibly satisfying noise. Still missed about 12 though :(
Favourite thing in all the Crackdown games. Getting to the maximum jumpy distance was a lot of fun just on its own.

The Crumb

You do need to push the story to a certain point, but the Yakuza games are top for this. It even encourages you to do it. Eat everything at every restaurant, catch all the fish, find all the locker keys, track down all the stray cats, play all the arcade games.

Magnum Valentino

Playing InFamous Second Son at the minute and just cutting about a gorgeously coloured gloomy Seattle collecting things until the story forces me to progress. Gets my vote.

JamesTC

Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie are on the Rare Replay collection which I believe in on Game Pass. They have a fair few collectables.

Aside from Crackdown 1, the Spyro games were always my favourite collectathons.

Villa_Gorilla

I love looting in games, there's something weirdly satisfying about it. In Fallout 3 I spent many pointless hours stripping buildings of every last scrap of loot, even stuff that had no value or use in the game. I just hoarded it all in my shack. 

I suppose ARPGs would be a version of this, would they?
The comforting repetition. Mindlessly riding the carousel, the pretty flashing lights. Watching the slot machine reels spin, familiar sounds keeping you sedate, pushing the buttons, hoping for a decent payout.

I don't think I've ever had that compulsion to "catch 'em all", but that dangling carrot of "slightly stronger trousers" has had me grinding thin gameplay loops that had long since lost their sheen.

It's part of it, I think. You get into that well worn groove and those shallow, unfulfilling mechanics, they stay the same, but become something more through your perseverance.
The game is like a pestle and mortar, and your elbow grease churns that shite into a sort of medicine.

I remember talking to Boghog, the mechanical star astra guy about a prototype he was working on, calling it compulsive and he seemed really affronted. I had to reassure him that he was using his powers for good!

Mobius

Quote from: Villa_Gorilla on September 30, 2021, 10:18:58 PM
I love looting in games, there's something weirdly satisfying about it. In Fallout 3 I spent many pointless hours stripping buildings of every last scrap of loot, even stuff that had no value or use in the game. I just hoarded it all in my shack.

I tried to loot as little as possible in Fallout/Skyrim because I read once that every item you pick up makes your Save Game larger and make loading screens longer. No idea if that was true, but it felt like it.