Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:01:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games with lots of mindless collecting

Started by beanheadmcginty, September 06, 2021, 11:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I love this too but feel like games like Rdr2 or assassins creed are too vast and sprawling; I only do this when playing something cozy and with simpler graphics on the laptop or switch.

Stardew Valley and particularly Rimworld are great as passive "podcast games", especially Rimworld. You can even let your little fellas run around doing stuff to a degree and focus on the podcast, or vice versa...

My favourite game to listen to podcasts to atm though is Slay the Spire; doesn't wholly fit your request but you are collecting cards so technically it counts :)

Quote from: Mobius on October 01, 2021, 01:13:29 AM
I tried to loot as little as possible in Fallout/Skyrim because I read once that every item you pick up makes your Save Game larger and make loading screens longer. No idea if that was true, but it felt like it.

I hated playing those fallout, dead island style games because I'd have to check every suitcase, every bin, open every door, go in every direction, climb every mountain.
There's something to be said for a good old fashioned shmup, the screen is scrolling and you don't have a choice, you dodge or you get hit. There is no time to decide whether you're going to ditch 15 of your 200 batteries to make room for a fetching teddy bear.

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 01, 2021, 01:34:57 AMMy favourite game to listen to podcasts to atm though is Slay the Spire

Best podcast game bar none is spelunky.
Once you learn the ropes, you can play that game on autopilot.
It demands just the right amount of attention so it keeps you captivated but you still have enough brain power left to take in the podcast or music you're listening to.

Poobum

Quote from: Mobius on October 01, 2021, 01:13:29 AM
I tried to loot as little as possible in Fallout/Skyrim because I read once that every item you pick up makes your Save Game larger and make loading screens longer. No idea if that was true, but it felt like it.

This was absolutely the case with Morrowind on the Xbox, but worse in that eventually it would break the game. You would have to limit yourself to how many questlines to pursue and dungeons to explore, and even then you risk getting to a point where it simply crashes every 10 minutes.

https://youtu.be/9LORtFcqjKQ?t=56 :D

I started my elder scrolls journey with Oblivion. Do you think it's just your first one that tends to be your favourite?

oggyraiding

Ubisoft are good at these sorts of games. Immortal Fenyx Rising is full of little dungeons and puzzles and resources to collect, same with Assassin's Creed Valhalla. If you like hoovering up icons on a map they're quite enjoyable.

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 07, 2021, 01:01:38 PMThe Batman: Arkham... games have all the Riddler stuff. I think I found all of them in the first two games, but sacked off Arkham Knight, as there was just a ridiculous amount.

Just collected all trophies/solved all riddles in the Return to Arkham redo this morning. RtA: Arkham City next, though I doubt I'll be collecting all the Riddler stuff in that as I couldn't manage it first time around in the original version! As for Arkham Knight I completed that a little while ago, but as for doing all Mr. Nigma's shit, nooooo way! Oh yeah also didn't do all the Riddler things in Arkham Origins either, natch!

The Long Dark is a really fantastic game, I'm surprised it hasn't sparked more chat here.

I'm not a big gamer and maybe that's why I like it, largely walking around collecting stuff to meet your basic needs (warmth, energy, thirst, hunger). No NPCs, just walking around slowing making micro but potentially game changing decisions.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on October 02, 2021, 08:15:01 PM
The Long Dark is a really fantastic game, I'm surprised it hasn't sparked more chat here.

I'm not a big gamer and maybe that's why I like it, largely walking around collecting stuff to meet your basic needs (warmth, energy, thirst, hunger). No NPCs, just walking around slowing making micro but potentially game changing decisions.

I think I bought it in early access years ago, but my PC couldn't quite run it, so I never really got around to playing it, even after I upgraded.  Just sort of slipped through the cracks, but you can just tell it's special.

Oh yeah, I remember liking what I played of that, but decided I couldn't be arsed after a few hours with the naughty demo.
I just wasn't in the mood for another game like that, but I really dug how stripped back and straight up it was.

I really liked "don't starve" for the same reason, I liked just wandering round collecting stuff to survive. Such a shame the combat in that game was so dogshit because everything else was a lot of fun. It was one of those games where it's an absolute blast figuring things out and learning all the systems, but once you've done that, it gets stale quite quickly.

It's one of the few games I've bothered to become expert at and still play compulsively.

Mr_Simnock

The trimmed completionist cape in Runescape will take you quite a while if you like if you like knocking off tasks and gathering stuff

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 07, 2021, 01:01:38 PM
The Batman: Arkham... games have all the Riddler stuff. I think I found all of them in the first two games, but sacked off Arkham Knight, as there was just a ridiculous amount.

I just looked it up and it seems that there are four fewer in Knight than there are in City (just talking Batman trophies - if you include Catwoman the gap with City is even greater). I liked the greater use of actual puzzles in City, but I'd go spare if I had to get every single one of them, especially some of the timed ones that I was just shit at.

Mister Six

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 02, 2021, 02:49:49 PM
https://youtu.be/9LORtFcqjKQ?t=56 :D

I started my elder scrolls journey with Oblivion. Do you think it's just your first one that tends to be your favourite?

Nah, I started with Oblivion but just couldn't get on with it. Something about the levelling system. I think it made some of the quests too hard if you came to them too late (I recall one where you're trying to defend a guy from goblins in a field that was just ridiculous at high levels).

Skyrim, on the other hand, I sunk about 190 hours into - the most I think I've ever put into a game that didn't have some kind of level editor or something. And that was despite being mildly irritated by the game's lack of reactivity (look at me, the head wizard, top assassin, king of thieves, and barbarian warrior dark elf who's still helping out the fascist bastard who hates me for some reason).

Poobum

I started with Morrowind on PC and skipped to Skyrim on console. Have never been able to get into Oblivion. Morrowind will always have the nostalgia of being first of that type of game I've played, and Skyrim is so much mechanically better. Oblivion just falls into that drop of poorer gameplay then Skyrim with none of the visual charm and atmosphere of Morrowind. Also the character models are just too ugly, ruins any immersion for me.

beanheadmcginty

I had to stop playing Fallout 4 because I became obsessed with the idea of picking up absolutely everything possible and dropping it off at my camp. That's too much mindless collecting. I've realised my sweet spot is a shit load of collectables across an open map. And you get a reward for finding them all. So essentially the exact reason why everyone else hates Ubisoft games. I fucking love them.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on October 03, 2021, 03:26:21 PMI just looked it up and it seems that there are four fewer in Knight than there are in City (just talking Batman trophies - if you include Catwoman the gap with City is even greater). I liked the greater use of actual puzzles in City, but I'd go spare if I had to get every single one of them, especially some of the timed ones that I was just shit at.

Interesting... Knight does seem to have trickier puzzles, though. And you've got to collect/solve everything in order to fight Riddler of course.

I've just started RtA: Arkham City and have managed to collect a few, but of course there's loads of them ones that you need gadget updates to get about.

Clownbaby

I wouldn't really call the Arkham Knight Riddler trophy hunt mindless collecting. I'm playing it at the moment and fucking about with the little Riddler puzzles in between the other objectives is a fun change of pace. I enjoy how much of an irritating little twat Riddler is, the voice acting is great.

Woah, I was just wondering the other day where you'd been because I hadn't seen your name for ages and there you are :D

Clownbaby

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on October 04, 2021, 06:52:06 PM
Woah, I was just wondering the other day where you'd been because I hadn't seen your name for ages and there you are :D

Hiya! These riddles have consumed my life please help

(just been on a long forum holiday)

Yeah, yeah, they can be very moreish, probably a good idea.

Glebe

"How did you figure that one out? You're cheating!"

"Yeah Riddler mate arsed cigs."